The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Distance from catcher (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54117-distance-catcher.html)

cc6 Sun Jul 26, 2009 09:42pm

Distance from catcher

How much space does a catcher's throwing arm take up to make a throw? What do you use to gauge proper distance from the catcher?

SanDiegoSteve Sun Jul 26, 2009 09:49pm

If he keeps hitting you when he throws, you are too close.

DG Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:22pm

The length of your arm is approximately the same as his.

briancurtin Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 616999)
How much space does a catcher's throwing arm take up to make a throw? What do you use to gauge proper distance from the catcher?

Ask him how long his arm is.

That, or pay attention when he throws a ball.

cbfoulds Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:50am

3-4 feet [I use Davis].

If you're getting in the way of F2's arm when he throws, AT LEAST one of the following is true:

* You are too close
* You are not in the "slot"
* You are insufficiently mobile: MOVE after the pitch is caught.

#2 is the most likely source of routine/ frequent contact [hiding behind F2].

ozzy6900 Mon Jul 27, 2009 07:29am

If you climb on F2's back when F1 comes set, you should be okay. Just jump off when F2 catches the ball!

Hey, don't get ticked off - a dumb question deserves a dumb answer!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jul 27, 2009 07:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 617045)
If you climb on F2's back when F1 comes set, you should be okay. Just jump off when F2 catches the ball!

ozzy6900:

Judging by the answers given in the posts before yours, it appears to me that cc6 had a legitmate question (and that he is probably a new umpire, probably three years or less of experience, I am guessing). Therefore, that makes his question not a dumb question but your post a dumb post.

MTD, Sr.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 27, 2009 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 617049)
ozzy6900:

Judging by the answers given in the posts before yours, it appears to me that cc6 had a legitmate question (and that he is probably a new umpire, probably three years or less of experience, I am guessing). Therefore, that makes his question not a dumb question but your post a dumb post.

MTD, Sr.

Not a dumb question? You were judging from these answers? Look again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 617003)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 617009)
The length of your arm is approximately the same as his.

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 617026)
Ask him how long his arm is.

That, or pay attention when he throws a ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 617045)

These are all dumb answers to a dumb question. The phrase "there is no such thing as a dumb question" is a lie. There is, and this is an example.

The answer is to work the slot or the GD stance (you choose), and when you see a runner stealing, get the heck out of the catcher's way. It's not hard, nor is it rocket science.

I think a catcher clipped me one time about 20 years ago, and that was the one and only time. It shouldn't be a problem.

ozzy6900 Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:01am

Quote:

ozzy6900:

MTD, Sr.

The poster you are referring to is a resurfaced troll who we tried to teach several years ago. He has come back to us under a different name but the same troll as before.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbfoulds (Post 617042)
3-4 feet [I use Davis].

If you're getting in the way of F2's arm when he throws, AT LEAST one of the following is true:

* You are too close
* You are not in the "slot"
* You are insufficiently mobile: MOVE after the pitch is caught.

#2 is the most likely source of routine/ frequent contact [hiding behind F2].

1) This is a good answer. It addresses a problem that many new umpires probably have.

2) Was the original poster a troll? I don't know. If he is, so what? The question is a valid question from any new umpire and so let us take that position when answering the OP so that any new umpire can learn.

MTD, Sr.

MrUmpire Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34am

Quote:

ozzy6900:

MTD, Sr.

This is cc6's second, at least, incarnation. An earlier, perhaps first, was as candaump6 who first graced these pages around February 2007, I believe. A sample of an early post, which would seem to indicate a level of previous experience:

Quote:

Originally Posted by candaump6
By my second game of the season I have my strikezone consistent to within one to one and a half inches on the corners, an inch on the low part of the zone, and I've got a general idea of the high part of my zone as well. Usually just takes me one plate game to get me back in the swing of things."

While looking back at this goldie oldie, I was equally amused to see one of ozzy's early replies:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
OMG! Get Stuffed, will you please?

cc6 Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:12pm

I am very disappointed with most of the replies to this thread. The replies themselves are classless- I am not making any moral judgments about the people who posted them. It was a legit question as Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. pointed out.

I asked because I am making adjustments to my stance, including changing distance from the catcher. I have been told that I should be far back enough that I shouldn't have to move when the catcher throws. I was planning on keeping it that way, and moving in a bit, but a in this thread a couple people mentioned getting out of the way when the catcher throws. It is hard to know whether it is sarcasm or not. I see sarcasm as a very dangerous form of trolling, because it can be misinterpreted as real advice.

Mark, ozzy has been attacking me for years now, without any sort of provocation. I have observed that people who put someone down often do so because they are unhappy, and their behaviour tends to repeat itself with other people.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 617231)
I have observed that people who put someone down often do so because they are unhappy, and their behaviour tends to repeat itself with other people.

Being unhappy is the only reason? An oversimplification, maybe?

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 27, 2009 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 617238)
Being unhappy is the only reason? An oversimplification, maybe?

Deliriously happy myself.

Hey Bobby, the advice I gave, while a smart a$$ answer, was also very sound advice. If you are getting hit by the catcher, you are either too close, or you don't know how to get out of the way properly. When you see that the catcher is going to have a play, stand up and back away.

Tom H. Mon Jul 27, 2009 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 617003)

Duh Steve! Really???:rolleyes: