The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Can someone help me with this play. I'm a High School coach. We were in a tourney (Fed rules) There were two outs,a runner on third and two stikes on the batter. Our pitcher was in the wind up. The runner on third began to steal. My pitcher delivered a strike three pitch. The plate ump called strike three and he allowed the run to score. He said the runner beat the pitch. My quiestions are: 1. Was he correct? 2. Wouldn't the runner almost have to be sliding across the plate before the pitch arrives? 3. How would you call this play?

Thanks!

p.s.- The plate umpire called our assistant coach and told him he was sorry that he mad an incorrect call.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by t-bone
Can someone help me with this play. I'm a High School coach. We were in a tourney (Fed rules) There were two outs,a runner on third and two stikes on the batter. Our pitcher was in the wind up. The runner on third began to steal. My pitcher delivered a strike three pitch. The plate ump called strike three and he allowed the run to score. He said the runner beat the pitch. My quiestions are: 1. Was he correct? 2. Wouldn't the runner almost have to be sliding across the plate before the pitch arrives? 3. How would you call this play?

Thanks!

p.s.- The plate umpire called our assistant coach and told him he was sorry that he mad an incorrect call.
The PU was right, when he called to say he made an incorrect call. Seriously, HTBT. He would have to get there befor the pitch.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2002, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with David, coach.
The runner would have had to touch the plate before the start of the pitch---not before the pitch crosses the plate.
The start of the pitch would be when the pitcher became committed to deliver to the plate due to initiating his pitching motion. The odds on that occurring are highly unlikely.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Fri Jul 12, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Since the play had started and the batter did not reach first base the run cannot have scored. It's similar to scoring on a force play.