The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Three Batters hit in a row.... what do you do? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53896-three-batters-hit-row-what-do-you-do.html)

kufan1975 Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43am

Three Batters hit in a row.... what do you do?

New to the forum, I am always on here looking for information!!

What is the ruling for three batters hit in a row? American Legion baseball.

UmpJM Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kufan1975 (Post 613262)

kufan,

Bases loaded.

JM

Ump153 Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:45am

Quote:

Bring the next batter to the plate and play on.

kufan1975 Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:48am

Bases were loaded, team hit by pitch scored on each time batter was hit.

Head coach between innings, thought by rule the pitcher should be tossed for 3 consecutive batters hit.

UmpJM Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:52am

kufan,

There is no such rule in any legitimate baseball rule code.

As long as the PU judges that the F1 is not intentionally pitching at the batter, it's just a HBP each time it happens.

JM

ozzy6900 Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kufan1975 (Post 613265)
Bases were loaded, team hit by pitch scored on each time batter was hit.

Head coach between innings, thought by rule the pitcher should be tossed for 3 consecutive batters hit.

I realize that you are new to the forum so here's some homework for you. Find us a rule (OBR) that limits how many batters can be hit by a pitcher ans you cannot use rule 8.02(d) because that is for intentionally throwing at the batter. If you find a rule, post it! You will then be the teacher!

This is an exercise in learning and using the rules. It also sharpens your skills in dealing with a coach.

"Tell you what, coach. If you can find a rule in the Official Baseball Rulebook, I will enforce it!"

kufan1975 Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:06am

I knew there wasnt a rule in the OBR about it, just thought maybe it was one of the Baseball Myths that coaches think exist.

greymule Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03pm

Some local leagues have established such rules. When my kids played (generic) little league, two consecutive HBP required removal of the pitcher for the rest of the game. The league had some truly idiotic rules, such as "runners are required to slide on a close play and on every steal of home." The league had two adult "umpires" who oversaw a crew of 13- and 14-year-olds. They considered a "close" play to be any play at all, and interpreted a "steal" of home as walking across the plate on a wild pitch that F2 was still chasing near the dugout.

The league was a case study in stupid rules, but they weren't interested in hearing suggestions from anyone who had played or officiated at a higher level.

The league did produce what has to be a unique game, though, one in which the batters of one team made no contact with any pitch. Every single batter either walked or struck out without hitting even a foul ball. They lost 11-8.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 613267)
kufan,

There is no such rule in any legitimate baseball rule code.

As long as the PU judges that the F1 is not intentionally pitching at the batter, it's just a HBP each time it happens.

JM

There is such a rule in Mexican-American League adult baseball. Three batters in one inning, or four in the game total, and the pitcher must be removed. It is in the book because many of the pitchers they put in have no control at all.

Rule does not apply to American Legion Baseball.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kufan1975 (Post 613274)
I knew there wasnt a rule in the OBR about it, just thought maybe it was one of the Baseball Myths that coaches think exist.

You knew there wasn't a rule, but you asked what's the ruling? That doesn't make much sense. If you know there is no rule about 3 batters hit in a row, why on earth would you devote an entire thread to the subject? Baffling to the mind, I tell ya!:confused:

kufan1975 Wed Jul 08, 2009 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 613300)
You knew there wasn't a rule, but you asked what's the ruling? That doesn't make much sense. If you know there is no rule about 3 batters hit in a row, why on earth would you devote an entire thread to the subject? Baffling to the mind, I tell ya!:confused:

Because...... again I was waiting for someone to say that!! The coach that mention this was.......... A VARSITY HIGH SCHOOL UMPIRE!!!

johnnyg08 Wed Jul 08, 2009 02:43pm

So he was baiting you

greymule Wed Jul 08, 2009 04:13pm

To this "varsity high school umpire," say, "Used to be three in a row, Coach. They changed it this year to seven in a row or twelve in nine innings. Didn't you attend the national preseason clinic in Bismarck, North Dakota?"

umpduck11 Wed Jul 08, 2009 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kufan1975 (Post 613324)
Because...... again I was waiting for someone to say that!! The coach that mention this was.......... A VARSITY HIGH SCHOOL UMPIRE!!!

Sounds to me like he had gone "rat" on you, and was hoping to get you to bite on his suggestion.

waltjp Wed Jul 08, 2009 05:22pm

Quote:

Time! You, first base.

Time! You, first base.

Time! You, first base.