The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Balk or Not (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53807-balk-not.html)

dvjrlegion Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:37pm

Balk or Not

When a first or third baseman hold runners on base and have 1 or 2 feet in foul territory, I have heard that it is a balk, but cannot find the rule. I know that a ball cannot be pitched unless all players are inside the foul lines, with the obvious exception of the catcher.
can anyone add some color to this topic?

johnnyg08 Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41pm

It's a "don't to that" if the other team says something...multiple warnings can result in ejection.

Ump Rube Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FED 1-2-4
At the time of the pitch, all fielders shall be on fair ground except the catcher who shall be in the catcher's box. A fielder is in fair ground when at least one foot is touching fair ground. PENALTY: Illegal pitch (2-18-1)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FED 2-18-1
An illegal pitch is an illegal act committed by the pitcher which resaults in a ball being awarded to the batter. When an illegal pitch occurs with a runner, or runners, on base, it is ruled a balk

Looks like a balk on 2 feet out and runners on.

johnnyg08 Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:48pm

I think the spirit of that rule is so teams don't put a player behind the catcher to protect from wild pitches/passed balls. Still, I would say, "don't do that" I think I am comfortable saying that I will NEVER balk that.

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:51pm

we should try a thing called preventative offciating... it would work here

Ump Rube Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 611568)
I think the spirit of that rule is so teams don't put a player behind the catcher to protect from wild pitches/passed balls. Still, I would say, "don't do that" I think I am comfortable saying that I will NEVER balk that.

I would DDT that too, but after 1 warning then I would start ball/balking it. I can't see ejecting players over it. I think walking a batter and giving him a free ride on the next 3 pitches will get the point across better then hucking people.

umpjong Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 611572)
I would DDT that too, but after 1 warning then I would start ball/balking it. I can't see ejecting players over it. I think walking a batter and giving him a free ride on the next 3 pitches will get the point across better then hucking people.

Its not a balkable offense though.

If the offense bring it to my attention, I tell him not to do it again. If he does it again I tell his head coach were the problem is and that if he does it again a new player will be necessary. Only penalty here is to eject.

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jun 30, 2009 01:03pm

I agree but the problem with this is game management. preventative offciating would nip this problem in the bud. I do see how if its a continuing problem then the player is basically tellin you to screw off and I would enforce the penalty

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 30, 2009 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 611572)

You are assuming FED rules here, but the OP is likely to be playing modified OBR. No balk in OBR, so it's a "hey, don't do that." I would give them that as my warning. If it happens again later, I will remind them of the warning. If they do it a third time well, three strikes your out at the old ball game.:)

GA Umpire Tue Jun 30, 2009 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 611566)
Looks like a balk on 2 feet out and runners on.

But, that is only for Fed. In OBR and I believe NCAA, it is a "Don't do that" as Johnny said.

johnnyg08 Tue Jun 30, 2009 01:21pm

I think the ejection component comes into play when after being warned, they choose to continue to blow you off. The ejection is there so when the coach says, "well, if he doesn't, what's the penalty?"..then you say, "there isn't one"...but the rule allows us to say "Well I'm asking you to comply right now if you choose to not comply, I can eject the player. Please simply comply so it doesn't lead to that."