The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:31pm

UNC - ASU Plate Umpire

How come he switched from the scissors (I was noticing how similar his style was to mine, right down to the mannerisms and footwork) to the heel-toe style? Is he tired do you think? What gives? I thought he looked really sharp in the scissors.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he pulled a groin?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

A sudden attack of common sense?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
A sudden attack of common sense?
I find that I get hurt more frequently in heel toe or GD, but less frequently (yet more severely) in the scissors. I prefer not to be hurt often, and the scissors is safer for me in general.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
This umpire is a personal friend of mine and he does from game to game switch up between the scissors and the box. He is still sharp as a tack as an umpire.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 10:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin View Post
This umpire is a personal friend of mine and he does from game to game switch up between the scissors and the box. He is still sharp as a tack as an umpire.
Thank you for explaining. I only saw one pitch that was even questionable, which was a fastball that I thought was just a little low, but he does look sharp.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Working some Indy pro and D1, I have on occassion seen an ump do this. It is usually when he gets blocked out on the inside pitch and has to go over the catcher. Other than that, you would have to ask the ump why. I use GD at all times.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard View Post
Working some Indy pro and D1, I have on occassion seen an ump do this. It is usually when he gets blocked out on the inside pitch and has to go over the catcher. Other than that, you would have to ask the ump why. I use GD at all times.
This is what it looks like he is doing. I also use the GD at all times. Why use a stance you have to switch from right ?

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Chiropractors love the scissors - it puts their kids through college.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

GD stance, and I just wear Wilson Gold shins. The Golds take a tremendous shot and they cover everywhere you need them. They even have those extra caps above the knee to hide your hands. With the GD, the only exposed area that really bothers me (in terms of injury potential) is the forearm and wrist area.

It's worth it to be almost effortlessly locked in on every pitch, and to be able to get locked in early without too much strain.

The scissors is unthinkable.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Jun 19, 2009 at 08:46am.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
With the GD, the only exposed area that really bothers me (in terms of injury potential) is the forearm and wrist area.
I take shots mostly on the forearms, wrists and elbows (rarely does it hit the gear), which is why I like the scissors better, because if done properly, it minimizes exposure of these vulnerable areas. In the box or GD stance or any other squating position, these areas are exposed big time.

Quote:
It's worth it to be almost effortlessly locked in on every pitch, and to be able to get locked in early without too much strain.
Uh, the scissors or taint lock you in just fine, and is, at least to me, much more relaxing and effortless than any other stance.

Quote:
The scissors is unthinkable.
I started using the scissors my 4th year (1990) and continued until 2004, when I briefly tried the GD (big disappointment to me) and the heel/toe or box (not sure what the hell the difference is there). Neither stance worked for me. I got nailed constantly. The scissors suit my style and I look and feel sharper, and much more confident behind the plate. The scissors allow you an unprecidented view of the plate and strike zone, despite what its detractors say, and the outside corner is very clearly visible.

As far as chiropractors, my back was shot long before I started umpiring, due to a horrific car crash in 1981, so any damage suffered in the scissors goes unnoticed, as I have completely degenerated discs from L-2 to S-1 and a permanent stiff neck.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I take shots mostly on the forearms, wrists and elbows (rarely does it hit the gear), which is why I like the scissors better, because if done properly, it minimizes exposure of these vulnerable areas. In the box or GD stance or any other squating position, these areas are exposed big time.

Uh, the scissors or taint lock you in just fine, and is, at least to me, much more relaxing and effortless than any other stance.

I started using the scissors my 4th year (1990) and continued until 2004, when I briefly tried the GD (big disappointment to me) and the heel/toe or box (not sure what the hell the difference is there). Neither stance worked for me. I got nailed constantly. The scissors suit my style and I look and feel sharper, and much more confident behind the plate. The scissors allow you an unprecidented view of the plate and strike zone, despite what its detractors say, and the outside corner is very clearly visible.

As far as chiropractors, my back was shot long before I started umpiring, due to a horrific car crash in 1981, so any damage suffered in the scissors goes unnoticed, as I have completely degenerated discs from L-2 to S-1 and a permanent stiff neck.

I disagree with saying the scissors offers an unprecidented view of the zone. I think that for taller guys that stance is more suitable. I (being 5' 10") use the GD because it puts me in the best possible place to view the zone. To say one is better than the other unequivically is close minded. I am not you and you are not me so what works for you may not be for me. My zone blew when I tried the scissors. Now however I am locked in. As for getting hit. I havent got hit very much at all and yes I do work the slot.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 10:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
I disagree with saying the scissors offers an unprecidented view of the zone. I think that for taller guys that stance is more suitable. I (being 5' 10") use the GD because it puts me in the best possible place to view the zone. To say one is better than the other unequivically is close minded. I am not you and you are not me so what works for you may not be for me. My zone blew when I tried the scissors. Now however I am locked in. As for getting hit. I havent got hit very much at all and yes I do work the slot.
Okay, then. I guess I have to break it down for each and every person on the forum. I should have said me instead of you (a generic you, not you personally). It gives me and unprecidented view of the entire strike zone. Your mileage may vary.

Now, here is exactly what I said, speaking just for myself:

The scissors suit my style and I look and feel sharper, and much more confident behind the plate.

I take shots mostly on the forearms, wrists and elbows (rarely does it hit the gear), which is why I like the scissors better...

As you can plainly see, I was referring to myself and my preferences, and not speaking for other people. If the GD works for you, God bless you and have fun with it! It just isn't the stance for me. I was a big Tommy Hallion, Steve Rippley and Ed Rapuano fan back in the day, and patterned my scissors stance after them. And yes, I know they no longer use the scissors, but I still prefer it.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Fri Jun 19, 2009 at 11:50am.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I liked the scisors, fine. I switched a couple years ago. It was hard on my left quad muscle. I may have been too low also.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I use the scirrors and sometimes go down on a knee for college games. I think I get the best look at pitches on a knee.