The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Oh, how I have wanted to do this a few times! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53618-oh-how-i-have-wanted-do-few-times.html)

jwwashburn Sat Jun 13, 2009 09:58pm

Oh, how I have wanted to do this a few times!

Umpire Ejects Entire Crowd of Unruly Baseball Fans

ManInBlue Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:03pm

He over-reacted. The policeman said he didn't see any unruliness.:D Even the AD said he over-reacted.:rolleyes:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post this.

DG Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:08pm

Catcher asked me once, how I put up with all the crowd noise. I said "what crowd?"

MrUmpire Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:18pm

You really aspire to do something this asinine?

briancurtin Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:13pm

Until the fans scale the fence and come onto the field or throw things onto the field, I could not care less what they are doing. Not my problem.

Brett Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:25pm

Only time I ever thought about it was during a football game featuring 5-6 year olds when the "parents" were basically standing in the team box due to poor home team management. Everyone on that sideline DESERVED to be sent home and I still didn't pull the trigger. I actually look back on it with some lament.

At the HS level, I can't imagine clearing the stands.

Kevin Finnerty Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:00am

To paraphrase Wilson--the first president to throw out the first pitch at a World Series game--the greatest safety is to let the fool advertise the fact by being free to speak.

There's a beauty to caring not one bit what unqualified observers say about one's work. (That last one's not Wilson's, it's Finnerty's.)

Ump153 Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 608720)
Oh, how I have wanted to do this a few times!

Please don't feed the troll

http://whiskeyfire.typepad.com/photo...ized/troll.jpg

tornado Sun Jun 14, 2009 08:55am

another article: Umpire in high school baseball game ejects entire crowd from game | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

unbelievable:

"A close call at home plate prompted W-MU coach Scott McCarty to come out of the dugout to argue the play with home plate umpire Don Briggs.

West Burlington coach Jeff Housel, not knowing time had been called, sent Caleb McDowell from third to home.

Briggs sent McDowell back to third, prompting Housel to come out and argue the play."

IowaMike Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:37am

I wasn't there so I can't speculate as to whether or not the stands needed to be cleared. I generally pay no attention to what fans are saying. I can tell you that the city of Burlington has some of the most obnoxious, offensive and unsportsmanlike fans in the state of Iowa, so I wasn't surprised to see that this happened down there.

bossman72 Sun Jun 14, 2009 01:58pm

My association loves ejecting spectators and I can't break them of the habit.

Unless the fans are threatening or saying/doing things that disrupt the game, I ignore.

jicecone Sun Jun 14, 2009 04:13pm

Only once was a fan ejected from a ballpark during my game. It happened during a heated discussion between the HC and myself about a "do over" pitch. (Batter does something wrong, pitcher commits balk as result of it)

During the discussion an older gentlemen, (well maybe not a gentlemen), yelled from behind the backstop, "punch him out coach." After the discussion was over I ask the coach to please take care of his fan. He stated "I would be glad to," and had the man throw out of the park.

Don't get involved with the crowd but if you REALLY have too, get the coach to take care of your dirty work for you.

In the case of Des Moine, unless physically threatened, mine your business of umpiring the game.

grunewar Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05am

Wanting to eject a few select fans or coaches? Sure!

An entire crowd without exception? Not so much!

jwwashburn Mon Jun 15, 2009 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 608724)
You really aspire to do something this asinine?

Aspire, no.

Have I thought about it? Yes...mostly for dads yelling at their own kids...give the kids a chance. Yell at them at practice. Never considered it for people yelling at me, though.

The only fan I have ever ejected in 15+ yrs used a giant f bomb...not at me but at his kid's team.

Rcichon Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:27am

Me = PU

HT manager: asks for time, explains he has "an unruly parent that is drunk, chirping at him".
Me, "you're the manager. Tell him to leave. Call the police and have him removed if he won't leave on his own. You have time until he is gone".
HT manager, "oh, ok".

You have everything inside the fence, he has everything outside the fence.