The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   I knew sooner or later... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53529-i-knew-sooner-later.html)

SanDiegoSteve Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:31pm

I knew sooner or later...

...and at 10:27 AM PDT, on June 7, 2009, the broadcaster in the NC-EC Super Regional said, "tie goes to the runner." And so it goes.:rolleyes:

DonInKansas Sun Jun 07, 2009 01:23pm

I saw/heard it too. I nearly threw my sandwich at the television.

Bishopcolle Sun Jun 07, 2009 06:12pm

I have to grow up, and become an adult...I am after all 60....I actually yelled at the TV screen....for several minutes.....felt better, though

ManInBlue Sun Jun 07, 2009 06:52pm

Did you see the balk in the Clemson/ASU (I think) game? The explanation was that the rules are different in NCAA and MLB. In NCAA there must be a discernible stop; in MLB they have to change direction.

SO close...

Welpe Sun Jun 07, 2009 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 607141)
Did you see the balk in the Clemson/ASU (I think) game? The explanation was that the rules are different in NCAA and MLB. In NCAA there must be a discernible stop; in MLB they have to change direction.

SO close...

They said the same thing in one of the Rice/LSU games.

Kevin Finnerty Sun Jun 07, 2009 07:56pm

Pardon me for not knowing her name, but the gal doing the play-by-play for the FSU-Arkansas series on ESPN was the absolute worst baseball play-by-play announcer I have ever heard. I'm all for any knowledgeable, competent gal being allowed to be a baseball broadcaster ahead of however many thousand guys who are more qualified, but this case was the most glaring ever. ESPN is infested with poor broadcasters, but this one was over-the-top.

Jimology Sun Jun 07, 2009 08:37pm

Origin of this Myth?

"Tie goes to the runner" originated somewhere, right? Anyone know?

MrUmpire Sun Jun 07, 2009 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimology (Post 607164)
"Tie goes to the runner" originated somewhere, right? Anyone know?

Wilson R. Dobbs, on July 23rd, 1891 in New York.

Jimology Sun Jun 07, 2009 08:50pm

Coincidence?

Okay so I google Wilson R. Dobbs...very first listing begins "Two idiots from Hardball..." Hmm:)

ManInBlue Sun Jun 07, 2009 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 607147)
They said the same thing in one of the Rice/LSU games.

That was the game I was talking about. I couldn't remember which one it was, so I guessed and missed.

Welpe Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 607180)
That was the game I was talking about. I couldn't remember which one it was, so I guessed and missed.

Ah got it. Yeah they were really harping on those balk calls. I don't even think one of the balk calls was for failing to stop but for starting and then stopping.

How'd you like his description of what an MLB pitcher can do, "He can bounce all over the place..." :rolleyes:

JJ Mon Jun 08, 2009 09:51am

Drop a note to ESPN and let them know how bad their commentators are. It probably won't help solve the problem, but you just never know....

JJ

ManInBlue Mon Jun 08, 2009 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 607286)
Drop a note to ESPN and let them know how bad their commentators are. It probably won't help solve the problem, but you just never know....

JJ

Tried emailing Baseball Tonight once about a month ago. Couldn't find a link. The "contact us" link took you to the webmaster "issues with the page" stuff.