The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Player returning to Pitch (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/5348-player-returning-pitch.html)

Prince Sun Jul 07, 2002 09:36pm

Junior League tournament game today. Tournament Playing Rules (2002), page T-11, paragraph 4.d. (Pitching Rules), requires that "Pitchers once removed from the mound may not return as pitchers." However, page T-13, paragraph 10.e. (Substitutions), states that "...A pitcher remaining in the game, but moving to a different position, can return as a pitcher anytime in the remainder of the game, but only once in the same inning as he/she was removed." This is the same are regular season Junior League rules. Refer to Rule 3.03.3. The Tournament Director allowed a pitcher, who was removed from the mound by the manager in the previous inning, to return as the pitcher in the next inning.

I believe the first part of the rule refers to the manager removing the pitcher during the inning, therefore ineligible to return as pitcher for the remainder of the game, and the second part allows for a pitcher to return if that pitcher moved to a different position between innings.

Please help...when can a pitcher return and when can he/she not return.

Rog Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:24pm

listen to your TD, they seem to know what they are doing....

Prince Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:27pm

Okay Rog, so help me understand what is meant by "Pitchers once removed from the mound may not return as pitchers."

Rog Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:47pm

You need to read the last sentence of sub-section (d) =

"(See exception for Junior League/Senior League/Big League, Tournament Rule 10.e)"

Here is the rule you need to read:

4. PITCHING RULES

These rules replace the regular season pitching regulations.

Violation of these pitching rules is subject to protest and forfeiture by action of the Tournament Committee in Williamsport, if protested before the umpire(s) leave the playing field.

d. Pitchers once removed from the mound may not return as pitchers.

(See exception for Junior League/Senior League/Big League, Tournament Rule 10.e)

10. SUBSTITUTIONS:

This tournament rule replaces regular season Rule 3.03 (re-entry).

e. Junior/Senior/Big League only: A pitcher remaining in the game, but moving to a different position, can return as a pitcher any time in the remainder of the game, but only once in the same inning as he/she was removed.

Prince Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:23pm

I'm sorry to beat this dead horse, so please bear with me.
Where does it state that 10.e is an exception to 4.d in the Tournament Rules. It appears that these rules stand alone and contradict each other. You refer to "sub-section (d)". I can't find this in the Tournament Rules as it related to pitcher substitutions. Thanks for your patience.

Rich Ives Mon Jul 08, 2002 07:41am

Go to http://www.littleleague.org and check the Tournament rules clarifications and updates.

Juniors and above - pitchers may return if they remain in the game.

Rog Mon Jul 08, 2002 09:19am

My bad for assuming we were reading from the same book!
What league specifically are you speaking of; and, which rule book are you reading from?????

Quote:

Originally posted by Prince
I'm sorry to beat this dead horse, so please bear with me.
Where does it state that 10.e is an exception to 4.d in the Tournament Rules. It appears that these rules stand alone and contradict each other. You refer to "sub-section (d)". I can't find this in the Tournament Rules as it related to pitcher substitutions. Thanks for your patience.

Prince Mon Jul 08, 2002 09:37am

Little League Rule Book (2002), Tournament Rules at the back of the book.

Prince Mon Jul 08, 2002 09:38am

Junior League Baseball

Rog Mon Jul 08, 2002 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Prince
Little League Rule Book (2002), Tournament Rules at the back of the book.
Please click on the link that "Rich" so kindly posted!

Then after you read the REAL rule, take your green book and burn it.

The "exception" that I cited was just one of too many omissions from the 2002 rule book.

If I gave you the impression that you were goofy, I sincerely apologize - since, you did read the proper rule as it was published in the 2002 LL book.....