The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 07, 2002, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FVB_Ryan
Didn't happen to me, but I had a partner today ask me this, and I really didn't know what to tell him.
2 Out. R3. Dropped (called) third strike. Catcher retrieves ball and attempts a play on R3 who is coming home, R3: safe. BR is a bigger person, and is still on the way to first. Catcher throws, gets the out. I know that a run cant score on a 3rd out if it is a force, but is there anything about this play in particular that makes an exception? Is it somehow considered two seperate plays? Or did the defense just luck out, and the run doesn't score?
Old Sun Jul 07, 2002, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

4.09 exceptions

No run can score when the third out is either a result of a force play, or made by the batter-runner before he touches first base.
Old Sun Jul 07, 2002, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB_Ryan
Didn't happen to me, but I had a partner today ask me this, and I really didn't know what to tell him.
2 Out. R3. Dropped (called) third strike. Catcher retrieves ball and attempts a play on R3 who is coming home, R3: safe. BR is a bigger person, and is still on the way to first. Catcher throws, gets the out. I know that a run cant score on a 3rd out if it is a force, but is there anything about this play in particular that makes an exception? Is it somehow considered two seperate plays? Or did the defense just luck out, and the run doesn't score?
The batter did not make it to first without being retired. The run does not score. 4.09(a)(1)
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

This play could be very easily confused with the "Intervening Play" rule.

R3 LESS than two outs.

Dropped third strike, F2 retrieves the ball and lunges to get R3 at the plate. R3 beats the tag and is called safe. F2 then throws to first to get the B/R, the throw hits the B/R who was out of the running lane and is called out for interference. Does the R3 score or is he sent back to third due to the interference?

Ruling, Score the run. It was an intervening play not connected to the interference play.

However if there were two outs, as in your play, I don't THINK the run would score for the same reason given above. G.