The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Peter Gammons (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53441-peter-gammons.html)

SanDiegoSteve Sun May 31, 2009 11:47am

Peter Gammons

I hope Google features this post so Peter Gammons can read it. He just finished spouting off again on Baseball Tonight.

Peter Gammons...you are an idiot. You thought that Tichenor overreacted to Varitek turning around and showing him up. I saw an umpire who was extremely patient, who warned Varitek several times before finally throwing him out. Most MLB umpires would have ran him the second he turned around and started yelling. Stop blaming the ejections on the fact that Tichenor is a AAA fill-in umpire, and assign the blame where it belongs: On Redmond, Gardenhire, Varitek and Francona. They ejected themselves.:mad:

mbyron Sun May 31, 2009 11:50am

Gammons is arguing that these AAA guys don't belong in the show since they can't manage situations without ejections.

It seems to me that the argument could go the other way: the players feel that they can piss on the AAA guys and behave in ways they wouldn't with MLB umps. Then they cry when they're (properly) dumped.

johnnyg08 Sun May 31, 2009 03:13pm

Yep, I agree. Mr. Gammons, strap on the mask and give it a try once...it's always easier on the other side of the fence. moron.

Hock9 Sun May 31, 2009 08:31pm

he hardlly looks like he's ever worn a jock

Not sure if he ever played but if he did, then by definition he's a rat.

If he didn't, then he's a nobody.

David B Sun May 31, 2009 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 605803)
Gammons is arguing that these AAA guys don't belong in the show since they can't manage situations without ejections.

It seems to me that the argument could go the other way: the players feel that they can piss on the AAA guys and behave in ways they wouldn't with MLB umps. Then they cry when they're (properly) dumped.

I agree with that. He's on the outside looking in. But, what he is talking about happens everywhere, not just MLB.

The younger umpires get tested and have to show that they can handle it.

You have to admit it's not normal to have four ejections in any game without some type of fight or something. But, he did and life goes on.

I would guarantee, the next game he has, guys will be a lot more careful with how they handle the "new" guy.

Thanks
David

Steven Tyler Sun May 31, 2009 11:28pm

So what

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 605802)
I hope Google features this post so Peter Gammons can read it. He just finished spouting off again on Baseball Tonight.

Peter Gammons...you are an idiot. You thought that Tichenor overreacted to Varitek turning around and showing him up. I saw an umpire who was extremely patient, who warned Varitek several times before finally throwing him out. Most MLB umpires would have ran him the second he turned around and started yelling. Stop blaming the ejections on the fact that Tichenor is a AAA fill-in umpire, and assign the blame where it belongs: On Redmond, Gardenhire, Varitek and Francona. They ejected themselves.:mad:

Who cares?

Welpe Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 605803)

I agree. I think that is exactly what happened in that game.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jun 01, 2009 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 605893)
Who cares?

Not you.

bob jenkins Mon Jun 01, 2009 09:04am

It seems to me that Gammons did his job -- he got you talking about it.

Personally, I give all of them all the credit they deserve. None.

RogersUmp Mon Jun 01, 2009 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron

I agree 100%. Why can't Peter see that? I don't think you need to be an umpire to see what happened if you were paying attention to the game.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05am

The largest volume of wasted words in the entire world of baseball media are the descriptions of trades and signings proposed by Peter Gammons that never happened.

(The largest volume of wasted spoken words is by Joe Morgan, of course.)

RogersUmp Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:50am

Quote:

The largest volume of wasted words in the entire world of baseball media are the descriptions of trades and signings proposed by Peter Gammons that never happened.

(The largest volume of wasted spoken words is by Joe Morgan, of course.)
True!! But until someone stops paying them to do it will continue.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:11am

Gammons is a mystifying figure: An average writer and a poor broadcaster, who has parlayed it all into a multi-million-dollar career blathering about "inside" information that is nearly always wrong.

Morgan is the least productive first-ballot Hall-of-Famer in history, and baseball's most preposterous voice of information. He literally makes this b.s. up as he goes along, but says it like it's irrefutable! He's even more ridiculous than Tim McCarver!

Steven Tyler Tue Jun 02, 2009 04:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 605923)
Not you.

Just like I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, nobody is making you listen to Peter Gammons.

Something simple I learned years ago.

GoodwillRef Tue Jun 02, 2009 06:46am

Not to mention the pitch that he was arguing was about 4 inches outside...not even close.