The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Base Brawl (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53369-base-brawl.html)

njdevs00cup Mon May 25, 2009 07:19pm

Base Brawl

I was in the stands watching a 14U tournament game in between my games. Out of state team trails the tournament host 16 - 1 in the 5th inning (no mercy rule in the championship game). BR for the visitors hits a hard ground ball to F5 who completes the throw to F3. BR decks F3 with cross body block. BU immediately calls time and ejects BR. F2 sprints up the line to confront BR. Both benches empty and fans from both sides storm the field. PU and BU try to stay in the middle and prevent an altercation. Fists start flying (players and fans) and I'm calling 911. PU and BU clear out and observe from the pitcher's mound. Twelve police cars respond.

After later games, I was talking to the BU about the proper way to handle a situation when punches are thrown.

DG Mon May 25, 2009 08:25pm

The few times I have ejected for MC, I am sure I did not call time to do it. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned.

In this situation it is best to stand aside and observe. You will be the only sane and objective observers to provide eyewitness account to the police.

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 25, 2009 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 604532)
The few times I have ejected for MC, I am sure I did not call time to do it. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned.

In this situation it is best to stand aside and observe. You will be the only sane and objective observers to provide eyewitness account to the police.

Back in the late 1980s we had a HS 3A championship game erupt into a bench clearing brawl. Many umpires (probably 20 of us) were in attendance down the left field line watching from just beyond the stands at the University of San Diego ballfield.

Several innings prior to the incident, one team's runner took out F2 with a flying body block. The catcher held on to the ball. The umpire, who should have ruled Out, and ejected the runner from the game, only called him Out. The defense argued, but to no avail.

Well, they say turnabout is fair play. A couple innings later (I think it was the 6th), the other team got their turn, and of course the runner did the exact same thing to the offending team's catcher, naturally retaliating since the umpire didn't do his job the first time.

Both benches cleared and all four umpires stood a little distance from the meelee, taking down numbers and getting ready to eject whoever came off the bench to join in, plus the guy who decked the catcher. I believe their were 13 ejected between the two teams, IIRC.

So basically, the umpires should observe the action and take notes for the ejection report.

DG Mon May 25, 2009 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 604541)
Back in the late 1980s we had a HS 3A championship game erupt into a bench clearing brawl. Many umpires (probably 20 of us) were in attendance down the left field line watching from just beyond the stands at the University of San Diego ballfield.

Several innings prior to the incident, one team's runner took out F2 with a flying body block. The catcher held on to the ball. The umpire, who should have ruled Out, and ejected the runner from the game, only called him Out. The defense argued, but to no avail.

Well, they say turnabout is fair play. A couple innings later (I think it was the 6th), the other team got their turn, and of course the runner did the exact same thing to the offending team's catcher, naturally retaliating since the umpire didn't do his job the first time.

Both benches cleared and all four umpires stood a little distance from the meelee, taking down numbers and getting ready to eject whoever came off the bench to join in, plus the guy who decked the catcher. I believe their were 13 ejected between the two teams, IIRC.

So basically, the umpires should observe the action and take notes for the ejection report.

A bit of early umpiring might have prevented. Toss for MC, do it quick, do it emphatic; toss the offensive coach (or defensive if it was defensive MC) if he protests too long.

SanDiegoSteve Mon May 25, 2009 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 604550)
A bit of early umpiring might have prevented. Toss for MC, do it quick, do it emphatic; toss the offensive coach (or defensive if it was defensive MC) if he protests too long.

Yes, every umpire there was saying that (Larry) messed up by not running the guy the first time. Even Larry was kicking himself after the game, and took a great deal of ribbing over it. In fact, I don't remember him being around long after. This game was used as a game management (or lack thereof) example for years after.

etn_ump Tue May 26, 2009 06:51pm

The biggest problem was you had a 14U game with no mercy rule.

If you had the mercy rule for the rest of the tournament, why wouldn't you have it for the championship game.

And calling 911? How did you do that from the field?

njdevs00cup Tue May 26, 2009 07:35pm

I was in the stands, in between games watching the game. As soon as the five fathers ran from the stands onto the field, I was dialing. I agree with your point regarding the mercy rule, however this unfortunate situation did take place during the 5th inning which still would have had to played.

waltjp Tue May 26, 2009 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 604526)
I was in the stands watching a 14U tournament game in between my games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by etn_ump (Post 604735)

Whoops :rolleyes:

SanDiegoSteve Tue May 26, 2009 09:35pm

Quote:

The biggest problem was you had a 14U game with no mercy rule.

If you had the mercy rule for the rest of the tournament, why wouldn't you have it for the championship game.

Another example of Reading Is Fundamental.:)

ozzy6900 Wed May 27, 2009 06:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 604758)
Another example of Reading Is Fundamental.:)

I remember the advertisements in the 60's - it was called RIF (reading Is Fundamental)!

I see it still hasn't quite caught on, has it SDS?

Blue37 Wed May 27, 2009 07:17am

Quote:

I look at "do not have a cell phone on the field" much as I do football's reluctance to allow sunglasses. Using the cell phone during the game, even between innings, should be reserved for emergency situations, but I see a brawl with fans involved as an emergency situation.

My youngest son is just getting into umpiring and he carries his for emergencies just like this. I have stressed to him that it is to remain in his pocket turned off from the first pitch until the last out, unless he needs to call the police. He understands that ANY use of the phone during the game for any other purpose will result in the loss of it for a week. So far, no problems.

Personally, I do not carry one and doubt I ever will, but I will not criticize someone who has one in their possession, as long as it is not used except for emergencies.

johnnyg08 Thu May 28, 2009 08:52am

I've worked with umpires before who have carried their phone with them due to the upcoming birth of their child. Fortunately, I've never had them "get the call" but as my wife progresses into her 8th month, I'm considering having mine with me...because if I get the call..."I'm outta there!"

Welpe Thu May 28, 2009 09:07am

Congrats on the upcoming baby, Johnny! :)

johnnyg08 Thu May 28, 2009 09:15am

Thanks! It's exciting, our first. August is not that far away!

MichaelVA2000 Thu May 28, 2009 09:21am

Quote:

Easy, read from the OP below:;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 604526)
I was in the stands watching a 14U tournament game in between my games.