The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   KC @ STL - Batters interference not called ? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53347-kc-stl-batters-interference-not-called.html)

bob jenkins Sun May 24, 2009 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostdb4 (Post 604367)
They only nixxed the call if there was CONTACT between the batter and the catcher.

No contact = no interference.

You wouldn't call interference on a runner who jostels in front of a ground ball, to delay its retrieval/throw.

I think Mr. Umpire was right.

There clearly can (and often is) interference without contact. and, a runner who "jostels" in front of a ground ball is often a good example of this.

lostdb4 Sun May 24, 2009 07:39pm

Do you have a rule # by chance? I havn't seen a runner called out for pausing in the path of the ball in order to throw off the fielder. That's what I meant when I said "jostle. And from what I remember reading in OBR, there is no interference without contact. Like I said, I have never seen interference called on a runner (or batter) without contact being made.

umpjong Sun May 24, 2009 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostdb4 (Post 604395)
Do you have a rule # by chance? I havn't seen a runner called out for pausing in the path of the ball in order to throw off the fielder. That's what I meant when I said "jostle. And from what I remember reading in OBR, there is no interference without contact. Like I said, I have never seen interference called on a runner (or batter) without contact being made.

OBR 7.08b

(b) He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball;
Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not.

Nothing here says it has to have contact. And I have seen Interference called hundreds of times without contact being made. Whether OBR, NCAA or NFHS.

MrUmpire Sun May 24, 2009 07:51pm

Quote:

Do you have a rule # by chance? I havn't seen a runner called out for pausing in the path of the ball in order to throw off the fielder. That's what I meant when I said "jostle. And from what I remember reading in OBR, there is no interference without contact. .

OBR 2.0 Interference
(a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was, in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules.

yawetag Sun May 24, 2009 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Bruno_ (Post 604316)
there WAS a play ! R1 tried to steal 2ndbase.

this is the video

i have to think that he kicked it.

Even as a Cardinals fan, I'd have to say this is clear-cut interference.

JR12 Mon May 25, 2009 11:48am

Quote:

Contact makes the call much easier, but it's not necessary. I think this play is INT!