The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Talk Radio Idiocy (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53223-talk-radio-idiocy.html)

dash_riprock Wed May 13, 2009 06:07pm

Talk Radio Idiocy

On the way home from my game today, I was listening to Mike Francesa - the "Sports Doctor" on WFAN, sports talk radio. A caller came up with what he considered a brilliant idea. In a sac fly situation, just have the outfielder juggle the ball all the way in, not catching the ball 'til he was close enough to easily throw out the tagging runner. The "Doctor" said that was a stupid idea and suggested the caller had too much time on his hands, because if the ball had not touched the ground after 2 or 3 seconds, the umpires would rule that the outfielder had control of the ball.

I think Tim McCarver gets most of his rules information from this show.

SethPDX Wed May 13, 2009 06:16pm

Right call, wrong reason, Mike. :rolleyes:

Just another reason I stopped paying much attention to sports talk radio.

justanotherblue Wed May 13, 2009 10:50pm

tell him to go back in time about a 100 years that was the rule.. and why it was changed

Steven Tyler Thu May 14, 2009 12:48am

It's been done

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue (Post 601982)
tell him to go back in time about a 100 years that was the rule.. and why it was changed

Just recently two small colleges {don't remember the names} had an alumni game. They played by the original rules where each team only got one out per inning and all hits counted, fair or foul.

Final score was in the 26 to 19 range.

Sorry, I wish I had more details.

JR12 Thu May 14, 2009 07:15am

I think back then, if you caught the ball after one bounce the batter was out.

johnnyg08 Thu May 14, 2009 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 601933)
Right call, wrong reason, Mike. :rolleyes:

Just another reason I stopped paying much attention to sports talk radio.

That might be true, but what do we do about millions of players and fans who take these guys as the authority

ozzy6900 Thu May 14, 2009 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue (Post 601982)

1864 Rule Change:

Out on a fair bound is removed and the "fly catch" of fair balls is adopted.

Kevin Finnerty Thu May 14, 2009 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 602040)
That might be true, but what do we do about millions of players and fans who take these guys as the authority

How about the minions--I mean millions--who form their beliefs about life itself by embracing the words of scripted talk radio characters like Rush Limbaugh?

johnnyg08 Thu May 14, 2009 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 602043)
How about the minnions--I mean millions--who form their beliefs about life itself by embracing the words of scripted talk radio characters like Rush Limbaugh?

regarding of the side, I don't consider it being that wise

SanDiegoSteve Thu May 14, 2009 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 602043)
How about the minions--I mean millions--who form their beliefs about life itself by embracing the words of scripted talk radio characters like Rush Limbaugh?

How about the millions and millions of people, like myself, who had the same beliefs that Rush espouses, many years before Rush Limbaugh ever saw a radio microphone?

People don't get their beliefs from Rush. He merely echoes their sentiments that by basic intelligence, and the observation of the crap going on in the world, that they already formed long ago. "Ditto heads" means, "Ditto Rush, you are saying what I already believe." It does not mean that he put the thoughts in our minds.