The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 10:25pm
Administrator

Inclement Weather

I do not know about the rest of you but this Spring has been the worst high school season for umpiring that I have had in quite some years. I have lost 14 baseball games and 2 softball games to inclement weather since April 1st. Mark, Jr., has lost 3 games but he only scheduled about 10 games because of his college class schedule.

The level of games that I lost were freshmen, jr. varsity, and varsity. The game fees for these 16 games totaled over $700.

Mark, Jr., and I got our freshmen game in tonight, but my jr. varsity game for tomorrow morning is questionable.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, it has rained a LOT here this spring. It seems that there is a chance of rain just about every day. Last week I lost every date that I had on the schedule. I was scheduled Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday this week, and Friday is the only one I've lost so far. Tomorrow looks good enough to get three varsity games in though.

I've learned that this is the one reason why I like basketball season. While we do have a couple of cancellations each season for winter weather, 99% of the time you're going to get your games in.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

HS season went by with little to-do over weather. One or two rain outs. Now this last round of playoffs have been eventful. Rain, rain and more rain.

Tournaments have been cancelled almost every weekend for the past month or more. Game fees lost to rainouts in tournaments is at least what you've lost, if not closer to $1000. Looks promising for this weekend though.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Last year was my worst season for rain outs. I lost 23 games last year for a total of $1057. This year I have only lost 9 games for $652, which is about normal for this area.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Today is the last of 44 consecutive days scheduled for me. Of those 44 (assuming we play today), 8 were lost to weather, 1 lost due to a scheduling snafu.
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Sou Ohio seems to be the same as Toledo area...26 games worked to date, 12 rainouts...I usually figure about 1/4 - 1/5 of my games rained out on avg per season- this is the worst...
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
Looks promising for this weekend though.
Spoke too soon. They got Friday night in. Saturday was delayed, but we squeezed in 4 games in the PM. Sunday the tourney got cancelled before any games could be played.

We need the weather to change patterns - it's nice all week then rains Fri/Sat/Sun - I could live with rain all week and nice Fri/Sat/Sun
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Yeah, it has rained a LOT here this spring. It seems that there is a chance of rain just about every day. Last week I lost every date that I had on the schedule. I was scheduled Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday this week, and Friday is the only one I've lost so far. Tomorrow looks good enough to get three varsity games in though.

I've learned that this is the one reason why I like basketball season. While we do have a couple of cancellations each season for winter weather, 99% of the time you're going to get your games in.
I spoke too soon as well. Got to the field Saturday morning for three games...no one around. No phone call from anyone, nothing.

In the process of getting a game fee plus mileage.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Had a ton of rain outs last week, something like 17 rained out games for the season so far.

Our commissioner sent out an email that one of the private school districts may be scrapping their district tournament due to the rain.

I read elsewhere last week that a school district somewhere was just going to kill their regular season where it was and those standings would be their standings for the district. The issue comes because there were plans on making a minimum number of games played which would eliminate the #1 team which was undefeated but got the least amounts of games in. That would suck.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Today is the last of 44 consecutive days scheduled for me.

Mercy! I'm a piker!

Lots of rain in Virginia this spring. Lost nearly a complete week last week. Threatening rain again tonight, although the weekend was fine.

Cheers,

Bob James

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to see...

...that it's not about the money for you guys!
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker View Post
Apparently you don't understand the concept of lurking.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 07:46am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelurker View Post

SpokaneLurker:

Sports officiating is a profession that is disguised as an avocation. I am a structural engineer, because that is what I wanted to do with my life and make a living that way, i.e., one of the reasons I am a structural engineer is for the money.

I enjoy officiating basketball and umpiring baseball and fastpitch softball (I enjoy baseball over softball.). And since I have to fill out a Schedule C for my basketball officiating and baseball/softball umpiring income every year for Uncle Sam then yes is it also about the money. Whether I am designing a building structure or officiating a college basketball game or umpiring a high school baseball game I am a professional doing the maximum of what my profession demands of me and I expect to be compensated for it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
SpokaneLurker:

Sports officiating is a profession that is disguised as an avocation. I am a structural engineer, because that is what I wanted to do with my life and make a living that way, i.e., one of the reasons I am a structural engineer is for the money.

I enjoy officiating basketball and umpiring baseball and fastpitch softball (I enjoy baseball over softball.). And since I have to fill out a Schedule C for my basketball officiating and baseball/softball umpiring income every year for Uncle Sam then yes is it also about the money. Whether I am designing a building structure or officiating a college basketball game or umpiring a high school baseball game I am a professional doing the maximum of what my profession demands of me and I expect to be compensated for it.

MTD, Sr.
Amen
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

The wettest April in Chicago's recorded weather history. The second coldest April in 30 years here. The cloudiest April in 14 years, and the windiest April (goes well with COLD temps) in 14 years here.

So much for the continued BS that is "Global Warming."

Note: Many major models are predicting something the U.S. hasn't seen in a while: a significant El Nino event beginning next fall and through the winter. This results in a colder and wetter winter and spring for the southern tier of the nation, but a warmer and drier winter and spring for the heartland, Midwest, and northeast. As far as the west coast, well, who cares? Earthquakes, mudslides, and wild fires will take care of them.