The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   First Game Back (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53152-first-game-back.html)

IowaMike Sun May 10, 2009 01:57pm

First Game Back

I called my first games in about five years yesterday (13 yr old tournament). I umpired for about four years but had to give it up because I had boys playing and just couldn't swing it anymore. I've continued doing basketball for the past 8 years. I always enjoyed officiating basketball more than baseball, but baseball has always been my favorite sport. Son #3 is a senior this year and my youngest has decided to stick to football and basketball, so I am umpiring on a limited basis this year around my sons high school schedule. Did two plate games yesterday and felt pretty good, a few squawks on high strikes but really no problems.

Things I did notice is that I flinched occasionally, particularly on high inside pitches. I also noticed that I involuntarily blinked on a few occasions on high pitches when the batter swung at them. Had to have some self talk about really locking in. When I umpired before, I always felt like I had more trouble with high strikes than low ones. However, it seems like nobody wants a strike above the belt called, even in youth games. Also, first time in my NB 450 plate shoes and I found them to be very comfortable. Overall, looking forward to the rest of my limited season; I have about four HS doubleheaders scheduled and will try to pick up some lower level games here and there. Any advice on nailing down the high end of the strike zone? Past experience has shown me that the flinching will go away with more work. Anyway, it feels good to be back in the fraternity of men in blue. I've always felt that the cameraderie I get out of officiating has been as much fun as working the games.

MajorDave Sun May 10, 2009 06:17pm

Let someone hit you in the mask...

with thrown baseballs a few times. I have seen Jim Evans do that and I have done it and it helps me get used to getting hit. I also let a few hit me in chest early in pre-season during cagework to get used to being hit and the fact that it does not hurt with proper equipment. Voila', no more flinching.

DG Sun May 10, 2009 08:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaMike (Post 601021)
When I umpired before, I always felt like I had more trouble with high strikes than low ones. However, it seems like nobody wants a strike above the belt called, even in youth games. Any advice on nailing down the high end of the strike zone?

The belt is not the top of the strike zone. Call at least a spread hand's width above the belt and do it consistently and you have called the high strike, and it is still lower than the rule book strike.

Depending on what age you refer to when you say "youth league" it could be even higher, up to the actual rule book.