The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Appeal or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52947-appeal-not.html)

harmbu Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:32am

Appeal or not?

FED rules. R2 & R3. Ground ball to F3. R3 gets into a rundown between third and home. R2 comes around third and notices that R3 is coming back to the base. R2 returns to second without retouching third. No outs are made on the play. Does the defense need to appeal the failure to retouch to get the out or does BU make the call without an appeal? I will tell how it was handled later.

PeteBooth Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:42am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 597614)
FED rules. R2 & R3. Ground ball to F3. R3 gets into a rundown between third and home. R2 comes around third and notices that R3 is coming back to the base. R2 returns to second without retouching third. No outs are made on the play. Does the defense need to appeal the failure to retouch to get the out or does BU make the call without an appeal? I will tell how it was handled later.

The defense needs to appeal.

I had a similar situation last year in a college game only it involved a fly ball. R1 touched second base and then realized the ball was going to be caught. On his way back he did not re-touch second base. I made a mental note and then the defense appealed and the out was registered.

In the "old" days, in FED there were no appeals and the umpire would ring up the out after playing action ended.

Since the change in FED there are no longer 'accidental appeals" and if there is a base running infraction it MUST be appealed.

Edited to add: EXCEPT South Carolina To my knowledge in South Carolina there are no appeals. The umpire registers the out just like the old days.

Pete Booth

harmbu Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:46am

Thanks

Thanks for the information. That is what I thought. Can anyone give me a rule reference (or preferable a case play) for this play. I could not find it as I skimmed through the books last night.

umpjong Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:05am

8-2-2 & see Penalty (page 49 for penalty nfhs)

bob jenkins Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu (Post 597625)
thanks for the information. That is what i thought. Can anyone give me a rule reference (or preferable a case play) for this play. I could not find it as i skimmed through the books last night.

8-2

scarolinablue Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth (Post 597622)

Edited to add: EXCEPT South Carolina To my knowledge in South Carolina there are no appeals. The umpire registers the out just like the old days.

Pete Booth

To confirm, there are no appeals in SC. We see it, we bang 'em out.

umpjim Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:16pm

How is that codified in SC. Do they write a new rule book or say they are using FED rules from (I'm guessing) 2001.

mbyron Sat Apr 25, 2009 05:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 597735)
How is that codified in SC. Do they write a new rule book or say they are using FED rules from (I'm guessing) 2001.

I wonder whether a request from South Carolina explains the otherwise mysterious persistence of 8.2.3, which should have been deleted from the Case Book several years ago.