The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   ouch!! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52927-ouch.html)

Chris_Hickman Wed Apr 22, 2009 05:00pm

ouch!!

YouTube - Be The Umpire!

I know that baseball is a contact sport, but......

mrm21711 Wed Apr 22, 2009 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman (Post 597315)
YouTube - Be The Umpire!

I know that baseball is a contact sport, but......

Appears to be malicious contact on the defense.

johnnyg08 Wed Apr 22, 2009 05:52pm

interesting that the umps are still there to watch them shake hands...game's over...outta here!

Rich Ives Wed Apr 22, 2009 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 597320)
interesting that the umps are still there to watch them shake hands . .

Normal at our place.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Apr 22, 2009 08:15pm

They don't even shake hands around here anymore. Too many brawls over the years. We definitely don't stick around to observe it. The teams are free to kick the crap out of each other, the umpires leave when the game is over. Toss the baseballs toward the home dugout and walk.

johnnyg08 Wed Apr 22, 2009 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 597325)
Normal at our place.

Interesting...is there a reason? Or is it something you've always done?

rpumpire Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:10pm

In Massachusetts, it's now mandatory for umpires to remain on the field to observe the handshakes.

If there's a good reason not to remain for the handshakes (contentious calls, etc.) the umpires have to fill out a form and send it to the state board.

briancurtin Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:45pm

A good reason would be "the game is over".

Rich Ives Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 597334)
Interesting...is there a reason? Or is it something you've always done?

We've always done it - not as observers - they congratulate the kids too. The coaches thank them for umpiring.

The umpires are part of the league, not a foreign legion. They know many of the kids. For most of them, it's a way to stay involved after their own kids graduate.

Those who think their objective is to umpire and hightail it wouldn't like it here.

And it's a good lesson for all - the game is over - get on with it.

We think we're doing it the right way.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 597354)
We've always done it - not as observers - they congratulate the kids too. The coaches thank them for umpiring.

The umpires are part of the league, not a foreign legion. They know many of the kids. For most of them, it's a way to stay involved after their own kids graduate.

Those who think their objective is to umpire and hightail it wouldn't like it here.

And it's a good lesson for all - the game is over - get on with it.

We think we're doing it the right way.

Disclaimer: this man is referring to Little League Baseball, where it's for the kids and all that. Shaving age players tend to get rowdy when they lose and are not in the mood to shake hands, and would just as soon kill the umpires as shake their hands.

ozzy6900 Thu Apr 23, 2009 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpumpire (Post 597343)
In Massachusetts, it's now mandatory for umpires to remain on the field to observe the handshakes.

If there's a good reason not to remain for the handshakes (contentious calls, etc.) the umpires have to fill out a form and send it to the state board.

Let's also remind the good people out there that MA also does not use FED rules for HS games, either!

rpumpire Thu Apr 23, 2009 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 597379)
Let's also remind the good people out there that MA also does not use FED rules for HS games, either!

I love that MA uses OBR-based rules.

I'm ambivalent on the handshake. They don't require us to be within a "step and a reach" of the handshake line, just on-the-field.

JR12 Thu Apr 23, 2009 08:36am

I'm with Steve. Shaving age and up, I roll out ASAP. Don't want to see or hear anything, especially comments toward my crew and myself.
However, I did a 12U travel game last Sat. First time I did that young in years. I had the plate. After the last out, I tossed the balls and walked to the gate to wait for my partner. He began shaking hands with the kids. Then he began walking over to the gate and the kids nearly chased me down to shake my hand.
It was a nice gesture, I just wasn't used to that.:)

ozzy6900 Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpumpire (Post 597382)
I love that MA uses OBR-based rules.

I'm ambivalent on the handshake. They don't require us to be within a "step and a reach" of the handshake line, just on-the-field.

No malice meant about not using FED rules, we just don't want the newbies to go running to the FED rulebook on this.

What does MA want you guys on the field for, anyway? Are you supposed to break up a confrontation or take names? (maybe we should start a new thread)

cc6 Thu Apr 23, 2009 08:44pm

No intent to injure, just a bit of carelessness on the part of the pitcher. Looked like he tagged him hard to make sure he got the out. Pitcher went away right after the tag, a sign of no aggression.

umpjim Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53pm

What are you guys seeing that I'm not. I see the BR running outside the foul line, and seeing that he is a dead duck, crossing to fair territory to crash the fielder. The fielder saw it coming and protected the tag and himself. If anything, it was offensive malicious contact in FED. Would not you think if he was facing a tag the BR would avoid to the foulside or maybe backpedal (no they are not that smart enough). I won't be signing up on utube to voice my opinion however.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:22am

I hate the fact that FED baseball has gone somewhat overboard with the wussy protection rules, but for Chrissakes, a two-arm pop in the chops is malicious contact. I had an identical tag play last week, and the pitcher tagged the runner a little roughly in the pit of the stomach and the kid went down in a heap, which we later learned was due to a previous rib injury. But I had nothing other than an out call, even though the runner "looked" injured. The guy had a right to make a quick, sure tag. But not in the face!

w_sohl Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 597522)
Pitcher went away right after the tag, a sign of no aggression.

More like a move hoping he didn't get caught.

Kevin Finnerty Sat Apr 25, 2009 02:20am

A sign of no aggression. Wow. I missed that.

Forearm in the face has always seemed aggressive to me. Maybe I don't watch enough pro wrestling to know what that kind of playful aggression is and how to distinguish it from real aggression.

cardinalfan Sat Apr 25, 2009 08:21am

I watched the video once, and my first thought was this play was totally unnecessary and I immediately thought I would eject the pitcher.

I really expected the next part of the video to show the pitcher getting hit in the ribs when he batted the next time.

cc6 Sat Apr 25, 2009 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 597742)
A sign of no aggression. Wow. I missed that.

Forearm in the face has always seemed aggressive to me. Maybe I don't watch enough pro wrestling to know what that kind of playful aggression is and how to distinguish it from real aggression.

It was a glove to the helmet. A hard tag yes, but probably done due to not thinking that he didn't need to tag the guy so hard. If the player had meant it in an aggressive way, he would have stayed there. Not many players are going to do something aggressive, then run away to not get caught.

w_sohl Sat Apr 25, 2009 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 597772)
Not many players are going to do something aggressive, then run away to not get caught.

So you conceed that some players, like the one in the video, would try to move away, as he did in the video, to avoid being caught?

I don't care what the players intentions were, my preventative officiating is ejecting the kid for malicious contact.

GA Umpire Sat Apr 25, 2009 09:44pm

I think if anyone gets tossed, it is both players. The runner clearly puts his arms up to his chest to protect himself just like the pitcher. So, both are at fault for contact. The pitcher won.

The runner could have easily just stopped or stayed in foul territory to avoid the pitcher. It looked to me like he went toward the pitcher with the hope of putting up his arms up and knocking the ball loose. He initiated all of the contact.

It was a hard tag but watch the pitcher. He turns to look at the other runner(s) immediately. There was no stare down or any other looks. All the looks came from the beaten runner.

I say no ejection and no reference to the play except get the runner off the field. If he goes after the pitcher, eject him.

SanDiegoSteve Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 597522)
Pitcher went away right after the tag, a sign of no aggression.

Oh, you mean no further sign of aggression.:confused:

MrUmpire Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 597772)
Not many players are going to do something aggressive, then run away to not get caught.

Far more players are going to attempt to avoid getting caught than those will stand there in an agressive stance in front of the umpire and others.`

yawetag Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Umpire (Post 597804)
The runner clearly puts his arms up to his chest to protect himself just like the pitcher. So, both are at fault for contact. The pitcher won.

Your position is that the BR is equally at fault for trying to protect himself? What's next? You keep a batter at the plate when he turns to protect his face from an inside pitch that hits him in the back?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Umpire (Post 597804)
The runner could have easily just stopped or stayed in foul territory to avoid the pitcher. It looked to me like he went toward the pitcher with the hope of putting up his arms up and knocking the ball loose. He initiated all of the contact.

To me, the batter was protecting himself. Before the tag, the batter does slow down in what looks like an effort to stop and give himself up to the tag.

However, I agree that the BR's post-actions are questionable. He shouldn't have walked toward the pitcher AT ALL.

cc6 Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 597800)
So you conceed that some players, like the one in the video, would try to move away, as he did in the video, to avoid being caught?

I don't care what the players intentions were, my preventative officiating is ejecting the kid for malicious contact.

No the opposite. If a player does something aggressive he is going to stay there and hold his ground.

ManInBlue Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 597852)
No the opposite. If a player does something aggressive he is going to stay there and hold his ground.

I disagree. I know plenty of kids that would take an opportunity for a cheap shot and walk away in "victory." The intent was to get one good shot in, not to start a street fight - they got it, they were satisfied. It doesn't make the action any more or any less malilciaous just becasue they now walked away.

Now, in this play, F1 may not have intentionally tagged the runner in the face, but he did. That, combined with the force used to make the tag, makes it malicious.

For all we know that runner was dating the pitcher's sister and he broke up with her just before prom. Big brother wanted some payback for that.:D

w_sohl Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:07am

Quote:

Not sure what utopian society you live in, but if I jab someone, I'm not sticking around to get caught.

MrUmpire Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:33am

Quote:

Runner crashes into and takes out the catcher with a forearm. He gets up and goes to his dugout.

So, this is not an aggressive act because he doesn't hang out to admire his work?

BullSh!t.

briancurtin Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Why does that even matter? Why would you even care about the reaction? If you make an aggressive action, a non-aggressive reaction does not cancel it out.

By what you are posting, if he was to punch the kid directly in the eye (obviously aggressive) and then walk away, it seems that you think that makes it not an aggressive move. Sure, you'll say that's not what you mean because it probably isn't, but you have posted that same view several times, and it is not something you can be consistent with.

Matt Sun Apr 26, 2009 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 597858)
Now, in this play, F1 may not have intentionally tagged the runner in the face, but he did. That, combined with the force used to make the tag, makes it malicious.

This logic is incorrect. Intent is a requirement of malice.

ManInBlue Sun Apr 26, 2009 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 597892)
This logic is incorrect. Intent is a requirement of malice.

Not when you take into account all the safety rules written in FED. Webster's may define it with intent, but they didn't write the FED rule book.

With the new defensive malicious contact written into the rules, a hard tag could be considered malicious.

This tag was in the face, it didn't have to be, it COULD be malicious even without intent.

cc6 Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 597880)
Runner crashes into and takes out the catcher with a forearm. He gets up and goes to his dugout.

So, this is not an aggressive act because he doesn't hang out to admire his work?

BullSh!t.

Easy there big guy. How many pitchers say "sorry" after intentionally hitting a batter to avoid getting ejected? Not many. Most players are going to stand by what they do. I think if that player had meant to hit the runner, he would have jogged backwards expecting retaliation on the part of the player. I only watched the clip once, but from what I remember he turned around, thus leaving himself open to attack. He wouldn't have turned his back if he thought there would be any sort of any attack back at him.

cc6 Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 597886)
Why does that even matter? Why would you even care about the reaction? If you make an aggressive action, a non-aggressive reaction does not cancel it out.

By what you are posting, if he was to punch the kid directly in the eye (obviously aggressive) and then walk away, it seems that you think that makes it not an aggressive move. Sure, you'll say that's not what you mean because it probably isn't, but you have posted that same view several times, and it is not something you can be consistent with.

I wouldn't decide whether or not to eject the fielder after waiting for him to walk away. The act of walking away is evidence that he didn't push the guy with malicious intent. It was clumsiness, and probably inexperience on tag plays. Another factor I remember is that he didn't look at the guy when he tagged him. All around not malicious, and I'm not ejecting for it.

MrUmpire Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 597927)
I wouldn't decide whether or not to eject the fielder after waiting for him to walk away. The act of walking away is evidence that he didn't push the guy with malicious intent. It was clumsiness, and probably inexperience on tag plays. Another factor I remember is that he didn't look at the guy when he tagged him. All around not malicious, and I'm not ejecting for it.

Rubbish. You are basing your entire argument on a fallacy. People committing aggressive acts do not always hang around to admire their work. Many people who act aggressively are, in fact, cowards and move away quickly.

Indeed, most of those who stay after an agressive act are those who acted accidentally or clusmsily. These people tend to stay to indicate their lack of intent or remorse, or both.

Back to the classroom.

Dave Reed Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 597900)
With the new defensive malicious contact written into the rules, a hard tag could be considered malicious.
This tag was in the face, it didn't have to be, it COULD be malicious even without intent.

Mind citing the rule which justifies the notion that malicious contact doesn't require intent?

cc6 Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 597935)
Rubbish. You are basing your entire argument on a fallacy. People committing aggressive acts do not always hang around to admire their work. Many people who act aggressively are, in fact, cowards and move away quickly.

Indeed, most of those who stay after an agressive act are those who acted accidentally or clusmsily. These people tend to stay to indicate their lack of intent or remorse, or both.

Back to the classroom.

Gee thanks for always adding an insult.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 597940)
Can you and Garth ever make a post without insulting someone?

Well, he's right...you keep arguing the losing side of the argument, after being told you're wrong by numerous posters. I'd have to agree that you need a bit more learnin'.

MrUmpire Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 597940)
Gee thanks for always adding an insult.

In the past you have claimed to be a college student majoring in pyschology. I assume that to be the truth. I did not make an insult. I issued an admonishment. Your post does not indcate that you are thinking like a psychologist yet.

ManInBlue Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Reed (Post 597939)
Mind citing the rule which justifies the notion that malicious contact doesn't require intent?

Mind citing the rule which justifies the notion that malicious contact does require intent?

Dave Reed Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 597962)
Mind citing the rule which justifies the notion that malicious contact does require intent?

All right. First there is the necessity that the words and phrases of the rules (any rules, or the posts in this forum) have meaning, and that the meaning is available through either common usage, or by separate definition if some non-common meaning is intended. For example, "balk" has a common meaning, but in baseball rules it has a more specific, technical meaning, and the rules provide a definition.

"Malicious" has a common meaning, and no separately defined meaning, so, yes, intent is required.

Consider also Caseplay 8.3.3O, which seems to address directly the spurious notion that a hard tag to the face could be malicious without intent.

"8.3.3 SITUATION O: With R1 at third and R2 at first with one out, B3 hits a ground ball to F4. While attempting to tag R2 advancing to second, F4 applies intentional excessive force to R2’s head. On the play R1 is (a) advancing to the plate, or (b) R1 holds at third. RULING: In both (a) and (b), F4 is guilty of malicious contact......."

[my emphasis.]

Of course, the umpire is the judge of intent, so you can call this play any way you want.

MrUmpire Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 597962)

Why don't wwe consider the meaing of the word "malicious"?

Malicious comes from "malice":

1 : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another
2 : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse

DG Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711 (Post 597317)
Appears to be malicious contact on the defense.

Agreed, unnecessary hard tag to the face.

GA Umpire Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 597817)
Your position is that the BR is equally at fault for trying to protect himself?

Yes, he is equally at fault for the contact. He and the pitcher both put up their arms just before contact. You can see the runner's arms come out as well but the pitcher got the better of it.

Quote:

What's next? You keep a batter at the plate when he turns to protect his face from an inside pitch that hits him in the back?

Talk about being extreme and missing a point.

Quote:

To me, the batter was protecting himself. Before the tag, the batter does slow down in what looks like an effort to stop and give himself up to the tag.

So was the pitcher. They both were protecting themselves before contact.

cc6 Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 597978)
Why don't wwe consider the meaing of the word "malicious"?

Malicious comes from "malice":

1 : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another
2 : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse

wwe gives new meaning to the word malice.

ManInBlue Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Reed (Post 597976)
Of course, the umpire is the judge of intent, so you can call this play any way you want.

OK - now I can clear this up and I realize what I have not been saying. To this point exactly, we have to judge intent. The kid may not have intended to apply the tag in that fashion, we judged he did, we have malicious contact. Thus my "intent not needed" comments.

I apologize for not being more clear. It made perfect sense to me :confused:

SanDiegoSteve Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 598065)
wwe gives new meaning to the word malice.

Mortal enemies in WWE routinely go out drinking together after their "wrestling" matches. The is no malice in professional wrestling. They are all good friends just like a traveling carnival. Sorry if that ruins it for you.

SethPDX Tue Apr 28, 2009 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 598222)
Mortal enemies in WWE routinely go out drinking together after their "wrestling" matches. The is no malice in professional wrestling. They are all good friends just like a traveling carnival. Sorry if that ruins it for you.

:eek:

OMG! It's not fake!! No way!!!!

The refs are terrible, by the way. How can they miss so much of the dirty stuff that goes on every night? :p

thumpferee Tue Apr 28, 2009 09:59pm

On the OP...

I have nothing. Looked like they both expected a collision. The pitcher MIGHT have got a "watch the high tag"!