The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

HR into the Sun

I need some advice as to how I handled this situation as the PU and what can be done differently.

No one on, BU in A. Batter hits a fly ball which the right fielder misjudges the ball and comes in on (I'm watching him to try to pick up the ball), BU stays on the line as if he going to stay out and I lose the ball in the sun. BU suddenly button hooks in and the first time I pick up the ball is when it is on the ground beyond the fence.

I used the best circumstantial evidence I had to judge whether the ball went over the fence in the air. The CF put his hands on his head and did point up to indicate that the ball bounced over the fence. The batter did not break stride as he rounded the bases. I signaled a very late homerun.

The defensive manager argued briefly that this was not my call and why did I take so long to make the call. BU came to me in between innings and said he did not see that ball at all and so he buttoned hooked in. CF did tell the manager that the ball went over the fence.

Last edited by njdevs00cup; Mon Apr 13, 2009 at 07:03pm. Reason: added information
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 07:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

do the best you can and make your call accordingly. try to watch your fielders...often they're not quick enough to act as your F8 did in your sitch. who cares how "long" it took to make your call. It makes no difference to either coach...either you have a double or a homerun...either way you can place runners...I get annoyed when I hear a coach say..."you gotta make that call right away..." in situations like you're describing...or "don't let the other coach make the call for you..."
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, your BU should have gone out. You should not be looking into the sun to see the ball when you have an umpire "doing nothing".

Second, you were stuck so you did the best you could.

Third, "Coach, you are here to coach the players, not the umpires. I'll take what ever time I need to make the correct call and it is not your say as to which one of us makes the call!"
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Your BU left you with a call he should make. Do the best you can. And, it is correctable, as major league has proven. If he button hook because he saw HR and you call something else you can confer and correct.