The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   WTG Rob (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52802-wtg-rob.html)

dash_riprock Fri Apr 10, 2009 08:05pm

WTG Rob

Great job by Rob Drake in tonight's Yanks Royals game. Calling strikes both ways. Even the announcers got it right. Ring 'em up Rob!

Rich Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 595328)
(deleted post)

Just think how pathetic it is for someone to register a username just to make that post.

Although I wonder what's so special about Drake calling strikes, myself.

UMP25 Sat Apr 11, 2009 06:01pm

What's a strike???

:confused:

bob jenkins Sat Apr 11, 2009 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 595352)
Just think how pathetic it is for someone to register a username just to make that post.

Although I wonder what's so special about Drake calling strikes, myself.

Me, too --did none of the other plate umpires yesterday do a good job?

briancurtin Sat Apr 11, 2009 06:15pm

Congratulations to all plate umpires today for doing what you are paid do.

UMP25 Sat Apr 11, 2009 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 595406)
Me, too --did none of the other plate umpires yesterday do a good job?

Perhaps Mr. Drake was the only plate umpire to call a strike "both ways." Maybe everyone called them only for one side or they didn't call strikes at all. :confused: :eek:

SanDiegoSteve Sat Apr 11, 2009 09:14pm

One time I got sick of a coach screaming, "call it both ways, Bluuuuuuue." The next strike call I obliged him. I rang his batter up to the right first, and then to the left! Then I said, "there, that's both ways!"

kylejt Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:59pm

I like that.

Although, anyone saying "you need to call that both ways" is implying that you're cheating. I'm not a big fan of that.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Apr 14, 2009 02:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 595450)
I like that.

Although, anyone saying "you need to call that both ways" is implying that you're cheating. I'm not a big fan of that.

I've pointed that out a time or three too, but most of the coaches are way too stupid to realize that's what they're doing (no offense to the BRILLIANT coaches we have here! :p). They heard someone say it before and they adopted the mantra as their own.

bossman72 Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:02am

I was watching the Pirates-Reds game on saturday and noticed the home plate umpire with really bad mechanics... Strike mechanic was just a flick of the arm. He wasn't working the slot, he was over top of the catcher. Head height was low. On plays at the plate, instead of clearing the bat, he picked it up and made the call with the bat in his hand (more than once).

I figured this was an umpire that's fairly new, but it was Ed Montague! That was really surprising to see that many flaws in the plate work of an umpire with that many years under his belt.

mbyron Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07am

Why do you think that his mechanics are flaws? Remember: MLB umpires are not there because they use the best mechanics. They are there because they're the best umpires.

Don't imitate MLB umpires.

UMP25 Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72
I was watching the Pirates-Reds game on saturday and noticed the home plate umpire with really bad mechanics... Strike mechanic was just a flick of the arm. He wasn't working the slot, he was over top of the catcher. Head height was low. On plays at the plate, instead of clearing the bat, he picked it up and made the call with the bat in his hand (more than once).

I figured this was an umpire that's fairly new, but it was Ed Montague! That was really surprising to see that many flaws in the plate work of an umpire with that many years under his belt.

He also is the only one to still wear the beanie plate cap. How dare he! He should be fired immediately. There's no room for such horrible umpires in Major League Baseball!!!

mbyron Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 595913)
He also is the only one to still wear the beanie plate cap. How dare he! He should be fired immediately. There's no room for such horrible umpires in Major League Baseball!!!

Easy, Randy: your blood pressure.... ;)

UMP25 Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14am

Mine hovers around 120 over 80, believe it or not. Obviously, it's not measured during school when I'm with my students! :p

UMP25 Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 595907)

But the REAL question is: how is he verbalizing the count??? :D

bossman72 Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 595922)
But the REAL question is: how is he verbalizing the count??? :D

Hahaha!

I agree with mbyron. I'm not arguing that he's a bad UMPIRE, but his mechanics are something not to emulate as a young umpire.

Fritz Tue Apr 14, 2009 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 595913)

Please don't shoot the beanie cap wearer! I still wear one; have no aspirations to get to the majors, I'm too old. I just like its old school look, and frankly, it gets me remembered by coaches (sometimes good, sometimes bad). Now if I can just get my hand on a balloon protector............

johnnyg08 Tue Apr 14, 2009 02:50pm

Honigs still sells the raft.

Durham Tue Apr 14, 2009 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 595970)
Please don't shoot the beanie cap wearer! I still wear one; have no aspirations to get to the majors, I'm too old. I just like its old school look, and frankly, it gets me remembered by coaches (sometimes good, sometimes bad). Now if I can just get my hand on a balloon protector............

Honig's Whistle Stop Online Store - Products

Fritz Tue Apr 14, 2009 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 595978)

Just kidding guys, not going quite that old school. I just like the beanie look, it works for me. I know it isn't the "accepted" look, but it doesn't seem to be costing me games either, so what the heck.

briancurtin Tue Apr 14, 2009 05:28pm

How long are Ed Montague's shoelaces?

mbyron Tue Apr 14, 2009 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durham (Post 595978)

I thought that the link would point to this:

http://www.honigs.com/img_item_full/K01.jpg

cc6 Tue Apr 14, 2009 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 595450)
I like that.

I find comments like "call it both ways blue" are best to ignore. If the comments about balls and strikes persist, I might call the coach out of the dugout and ask him to keep his players under control.

briancurtin Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 596011)
I find comments like "call it both ways blue" are best to ignore. If the comments about balls and strikes persist, I might call the coach out of the dugout and ask him to keep his players under control.

My advice would be to never do this again.

LDUB Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 595993)
How long are Ed Montague's shoelaces?

He used to use the 50" laces but they weren't very strong so he had to keep a backup pair of shoes with him at all times in case a lace broke. Now he found a stronger pair of laces but they only come in 48". He switched to these and now only has to keep one set of plate shoes in his trunk.

ManInBlue Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 596020)
He used to use the 50" laces but they weren't very strong so he had to keep a backup pair of shoes with him at all times in case a lace broke. Now he found a stronger pair of laces but they only come in 48". He switched to these and now only has to keep one set of plate shoes in his trunk.

He's been on a strict diet & excersize routine - he's down to the 44's now.

cc6 Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 596018)
My advice would be to never do this again.

Never do what again?

Ump153 Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 596011)
I might call the coach out of the dugout and ask him to keep his players under control.

What age group?

briancurtin Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 596039)
Never do what again?

What you posted about...

cc6 Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 596040)
What age group?

Older, basically 16 and up. Anything in which the dugout is far enough away that I would have to raise my voice for their dugout to hear me give a warning.

Ump153 Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc6 (Post 596042)
Older, basically 16 and up. Anything in which the dugout is far enough away that I would have to raise my voice for their dugout to hear me give a warning.

With players of that age:

If they are doing something worth correcting, correct it. If they have not reached the threshold deserving of your attention, ignore them. Either way, don't whine to a coach about his players doing something you don't like.

Handle it yourself, if it needs to be handled. Otherwise, walk away.