The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

I am not an umpire but have a question. My understanding is that if a pitch hits a batter, the ball is dead and no runners can advance beyond one base if forced to do so. My understanding is also that if a batter swings at a pitch and the pitch hits the batter, it is a strike. In this case, is the ball also dead or if strike three is swung at and the ball hits the batter and bounces away, runners can advance at their own risk? If so, does that mean than a winning run could score on swinging strike three that hits the batter and bounces to the backstop? What is the rule here?

Thanks
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Hit by Third Strike

When the batter is hit by the ball, it is immediately dead -- regardless of situation.

Now, if the batter did not attempt to get hit - he's awarded first and runners forced to advance do so.

If the batter attempted to get hit, it's a ball or strike (as appropriate) the batter stays in the box (unless ball four or strike three) and runners advance only if forced (by the above being ball four).

If the batter is swinging at the pitch and gets hit, it's a strike and the runners stay.

Hope this helps.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
I am not an umpire but have a question. My understanding is that if a pitch hits a batter, the ball is dead and no runners can advance beyond one base if forced to do so. My understanding is also that if a batter swings at a pitch and the pitch hits the batter, it is a strike. In this case, is the ball also dead or if strike three is swung at and the ball hits the batter and bounces away, runners can advance at their own risk? If so, does that mean than a winning run could score on swinging strike three that hits the batter and bounces to the backstop? What is the rule here?

Thanks
Yes, the ball is dead if strike three is swung at
and the ball (the pitch) hits the batter. Runners may not
advance,. Therefore, the winning run could not score.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2001, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Anytime a pitch hits the batter, it's dead. If the batter swings, and the pitch hits him, it's a dead ball and a strike. If it's the third strike, he's out. At no time may runners advance, unless it's a hit-by-pitch, and they're forced.

Bob
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Had a coach argue that with me this weekend...............
"But BLUE, it hit him!"

Doesn't matter coach.....he SWUNG and he's still out!!!
(It was 3rd strike)
Jeremiah 29:11
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a variation that I had this past weekend; 1 out, R1 and 2-2 count. R1 takes off on the steal, pitch is WAY inside, batter leans slightly forward to get out of the way but the pitch grazes his bat and goes right into the catcher's mitt.

Sorry bud, that is a caught foul tip for strike three, you're out. OC yells at R1 to go back to 1st because it was a foul ball and R1 does just that. No one on defense tries to put him out.

OC asks for time (I granted) and asked why that wasn't a foul ball. "Because the catcher caught it coach."
"It was a foul tip?"
"yep"
"so my runner can stay on 2nd"
"no, he went back to first during a live ball and now we have time, so he stays at first"
"Ah come on Blue, it is only our 2nd game of the season, cut us some slack"
" Sure coach, you want me to give all your guys 4 strikes when at bat now?"---------ok, I was THINKING that last one, but really wanted to say it!