The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Angry

Bottom of 5th, city championship, 14-15 years old, score 12-1 Visitors, local rule, 10 after 5 = win. 2 man crew, I am BU, league UIC is PU.

R1 attempts to steal 2nd, is thrown out on a close call. Stands up, looks at me and throws his helmet in disgust, I toss him. He then kicks his helmet at the dugout, turns and looks at me, and spits in my direction. No elibible substitute remains, ballgame!

Aside from wanting to ring his neck, is there anything else I could or should have done? I didn't reply or say anything to this kid and the fans went nuts booing this kid and yelling "I can't believe he just did that, get him off the field".

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Write up a detailed report of the incident. Your partner (PU/UIC) should do the same. Turn it in to the league administrators.

That boy is going to be in a heap of trouble, if the league responds the way they should. At least one year's suspension. And, I can just imagine how his coaches and teammates will treat him.

It shows this yo-yo's mentality, trying to steal in the 5th inning, and a 10-run deficit. That run means zilch. He has less baseball brains than a gnat.

Bob
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Write up a detailed report of the incident. Your partner (PU/UIC) should do the same. Turn it in to the league administrators.

That boy is going to be in a heap of trouble, if the league responds the way they should. At least one year's suspension. And, I can just imagine how his coaches and teammates will treat him.

It shows this yo-yo's mentality, trying to steal in the 5th inning, and a 10-run deficit. That run means zilch. He has less baseball brains than a gnat.

Bob
Well, actually bluezebra... If the local rule is 10 after 5=win and they are down by eleven that run means they get to continue playing, so it could be very significant. Couldn't resist.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I just hope the kid's parents take after him. I had a similar incident playing football in high school where I threw my helmet and yelled at a coach in my junior year. My dad came out of the stands, grabbed me by the hair, took me over to the coach where he apologized to him on behalf of the family and informed him that my season was over.

It's a lesson I never forgot.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

spitting on an official

While watching a junior high football game an official grabbed a player by the facemask after the player had spit on him. I can't blame the ref but you have to use some restraint. Later I heard the kids parents did a little more than grab him by the facemask.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

In our area, the rule from the county athletic association is that 2 ejections on the same team for unsportsmanlike conduct results in a forfeit. I tossed a 15 yr old HS player for throwing his helmet in anger after a call 3rd strike. As he was walking away from home plate, he extended his hand above his head and displayed a middle finger. Since he is already ejected and does not get a free shot at me, I ejected the coach for his players conduct. Game over, no protest from coach or fans. I did hear from the coach later that that was not the first time he had trouble with this player and that he had requested that he not show up for the rest of the season.

Have fun out there.
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Look you know you are going to toss him , wait a moment and enjoy it , you let that little rat show you up , first make him pick up the helmet , he might ***** but let him , he does not " coach , a little help here [ could be two for the price of one ] make him pick it up and walk back to the dugout , with he's helmet , in hand , talk with the coach very quietly don't make a big deal out of it , hell you can even tell the coach your sorry this kid embrassed him like this

then quietly toss the kid , and let him stew in his own juices , ....

On the other hand if the coach has a problem with the out
just ask him " coach which part of the out is giving you trouble , is it the O or the T , cause if the U i'll toss
you and you won't have any more trouble with out's today "

Lol ps the cost to use my line is stealing three strike's
in the game and an out call on the next wacker, payable before the end of the game mac
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Similar story...no exchange of body fluids.

Midget AA team second baseman argues called third strike to end the inning.

I allow him the opportunity to take first advantage of the hot water in the clubhouse. He continues his tirade all the way back to the dugout, throwing his bat at the backstop, slamming his helmet on the ground...you know the drill.

After the game, he confronts me in the parking lot. "You're a ****ing brutal ump, an a***ole" and so forth.

I tell the coach what his player did, he (the coach)apologizes to me, but I tell him that it's not enough. Until the kid comes up to me, hat in hands and apologizes for what he said and how he carried himself, I'll flush him from the game the moment the lineup cards are handed to me.

The coach thinks it's actually a good idea, and that's exactly what happens the next time they play.

Managers meet at home plate, lineup cards are exchanged and kid is tossed.

WAIT...it gets better.

The rest of the local umps agree with the lesson being taught, and they too, toss him from the game when the lineup cards are exchanged. The kid gets the boot from four games in six days before he comes up to me at the start of the game and gives me the apology I'm owed.

Say what you will about the pettiness of my actions, but I have not had a single concern with this kid since.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Consider yourself lucky that you had coaches, umps and parents who supported you. My experience is that most of the time someone would be up in your face telling you that you could not do that because winning was more important than the lesson.