The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Off-Topic but important to me (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52260-off-topic-but-important-me.html)

SanDiegoSteve Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:04pm

Off-Topic but important to me

I just wanted to let everyone know that tomorrow morning at 10:00, I receive my Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude, in Computer Graphic Design. I managed a 3.96 GPA over the 2 years and 3 months of my course of study. Last March I got my associate's (with high honors as well), but now I finally have the B.S. degree to go along with all my BS!:p

I'm just pretty proud of my accomplishment, and wanted to share it with everyone here. Going back to school at my age was a lot of hard work, but it is paying off, and allowing me to embark on a new career direction. I still hope to be able to work in some umpiring next season too!

johnnyg08 Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:11pm

congrats Steve. Wouldn't 3.96 be Summa? One better than Magna? Good for you!

ManInBlue Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 588183)

either way it's still a heck of a load of BS!!!!

Congrats, Steve!! That's awesome.

cc6 Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:36pm

Way to go Steve! This just goes to show that there's always time to take on new challenges. I look forward to hearing how your return to umpiring goes as well.

Welpe Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:39pm

Good onya, Steve! Congrats!

SanDiegoSteve Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 588183)

Thanks everybody!

At this school, summa is 4.0 exactly. I had all A's except four A-'s, which came out to magna. Summa meaning "highest honors," I suppose they meant only 4.0 was "highest." Oh well, it's still pretty good, I suppose. I remember a couple years ago when I got my first A-. I was really pissed!:cool: I had told the admissions officer who recruited me that I was going to be summa cum laude, and he kind of laughed like, "yeah, sure buddy." So I was determined to do well. He was gone after I was there a month, so who had the last laugh there? ME.:)

Steve M Fri Mar 13, 2009 07:02pm

You're a stud, man. Congrats.
To go back to school AND get those grades AND be dealing with & working on the weight stuff - kudos, man. That's a big workload and a ton of "emotional" (for lack of a better term) stuff.

Rich Fri Mar 13, 2009 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 588193)
Thanks everybody!

At this school, summa is 4.0 exactly. I had all A's except four A-'s, which came out to magna. Summa meaning "highest honors," I suppose they meant only 4.0 was "highest." Oh well, it's still pretty good, I suppose. I remember a couple years ago when I got my first A-. I was really pissed!:cool: I had told the admissions officer who recruited me that I was going to be summa cum laude, and he kind of laughed like, "yeah, sure buddy." So I was determined to do well. He was gone after I was there a month, so who had the last laugh there? ME.:)

Steve,

Congrats. As someone who finished an MBA after 4.5 years of part-time study while working a full-time job, I think it's outstanding when people go back to try to change their lives (all it did for me was get me a raise).

If I hit the lottery, I'd probably go to law school next.

And congrats on the weight loss. I've been on WW since January 5 and I'm down 28 pounds. Makes me wonder why I didn't do this sooner, although the uniform cost this season will be higher than usual.

--Rich

ncump7 Fri Mar 13, 2009 07:52pm

Congratulations on both fronts, the educational and the weight loss. Good luck with the return to the diamond.

Rich Fri Mar 13, 2009 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncump7 (Post 588203)
Congratulations on both fronts, the educational and the weight loss. Good luck with the return to the diamond.

I missed that part, SDS. I hope you get back to work at baseball as soon as you can do it.

ozzy6900 Fri Mar 13, 2009 08:52pm

Ya know, Steve, I always thought of you as a 4.0 kind of guy! :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your success. It says a lot for someone who can put in the time and the effort and the path you chose is not the easiest to complete.

My son is in his 3rd year of Computer Science and struggling to stay on the Dean's List. Tonight he completed his project (over the Spring Break) where he had to design a web server and the programming to go with it. I am posting through his project right now! Of course, he had to do this after he put in a full day as a Network Engineer!

Me? I am a HSG that has 30 years with AT&T directing "sheepskin clad" wizards in the inner workings of IT support. You cannot not do what I did anymore...... OJT is pretty much a dead issue.

Steve M Fri Mar 13, 2009 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 588209)
Me? I am a HSG that has 30 years with AT&T directing "sheepskin clad" wizards in the inner workings of IT support. You cannot not do what I did anymore...... OJT is pretty much a dead issue.

Ain't that the truth. I'm a 30+ year mainframer. And you're right - OJT just doesn't happen the way it used to.

DG Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:12pm

Congratulations! Two son went to school for computer graphic design but quickly changed to criminal justice. Now a sheriff's deputy and very proud of him.

Magna cum laude is very special.

waltjp Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:39pm

Congratulations, Steve. Your hard work is paying off.

Rich Ives Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:40pm

Way to go Steve!