The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Me and the Cup (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52112-me-cup.html)

cardinalfan Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:07pm

Me and the Cup

To follow up on a lengthy discussion we had recently.
I did a high school doubleheader today. I did the bases the first game, plate in the second. My first experience with wearing a cup on the bases.
Not sure I can get used to it. I was uncomfortable, to say the least.
I may just learn to cover up & take my chances!

briancurtin Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:28pm

ok...?

ODJ Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:40pm

You do not need to wear a cup on the bases. The odds of a ball hitting you (from whatever velocity) is remote. And a quick turn of the hip solves the problem.

briancurtin Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 586158)
You do not need to wear a cup on the bases. The odds of a ball hitting you (from whatever velocity) is remote. And a quick turn of the hip solves the problem.

...and when you <i>do</i> get hit in the balls?

cardinalfan Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:15am

We had about a five-page thread earlier on this topic. I had decided to try the cup because I got hit in the state playoffs last year.

We heard both sides of the argument, and I was open-minded. After today, I realized with the cup, I would need to buy stock in Gold Bond Powder.

Umpmazza Sat Mar 07, 2009 01:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardinalfan (Post 586169)
We had about a five-page thread earlier on this topic. I had decided to try the cup because I got hit in the state playoffs last year.

We heard both sides of the argument, and I was open-minded. After today, I realized with the cup, I would need to buy stock in Gold Bond Powder.

Here you go..

http://forum.officiating.com/basebal...-while-bu.html

bob jenkins Sat Mar 07, 2009 02:27pm

Quote:

Then you're wearing it wrong.

Arnold A. Sat Mar 07, 2009 07:36pm

Quote:

I would hate getting hit in the state playoffs ! I'm wearing my cup from now on.

cardinalfan Sat Mar 07, 2009 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 586247)

That's part of it. I wore out my best pair of compression tights, and I can't find another pair that fit as well as they did.

DonInKansas Sun Mar 08, 2009 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 586247)

Upside down?:confused:

Or maybe inside out? Yikes.:eek:

tballump Sun Mar 08, 2009 09:58am

Like I said, I didn't know whether to wear one or not that time I went to a clinic. However, after bruising my tallywhacker with my thumbs from that hands on knees position in the morning, I went out and bought a pair of regular compressiong shorts and jock with banana cup to go over the shorts and solved the problem for the afternoon.

griff901c Sun Mar 08, 2009 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tballump (Post 586376)
Like I said, I didn't know whether to wear one or not that time I went to a clinic. However, after bruising my tallywhacker with my thumbs from that hands on knees position in the morning, I went out and bought a pair of regular compressiong shorts and jock with banana cup to go over the shorts and solved the problem for the afternoon.

I feel so.....................inadequate

JRutledge Sun Mar 08, 2009 03:28pm

Like I said in the last post, I see no need to wear a cup on the bases. If that is my concern, I should wear one in football or basketball seasons. I have a greater chance of getting hit "there" than I do in baseball while on the bases.

Peace

LDUB Sun Mar 08, 2009 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 586441)
Like I said in the last post, I see no need to wear a cup on the bases. If that is my concern, I should wear one in football or basketball seasons. I have a greater chance of getting hit "there" than I do in baseball while on the bases.

Peace

Getting hit with even a basketball that was thrown hard is no where near as bad as getting hit with a line drive batted ball.

umpduck11 Sun Mar 08, 2009 04:31pm

Quote:

I had decided to try the cup because I got hit in the state playoffs last year.

Is that what you kids are calling them now ?? :D

JRutledge Sun Mar 08, 2009 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 586445)
Getting hit with even a basketball that was thrown hard is no where near as bad as getting hit with a line drive batted ball.

You have obviously never been hit with a basketball have you or had bodies flying at you in a close area or had to stand near a pile in a football game when players are flying up at you.

If you get hit by a baseball, it is over 60 feet away from you on the bases and sometimes further away. I have only been hit one time from a baseball in 13 years of working baseball. I have been hit many times with a basketball that has been tipped and comes your way without much warning or distance. If I can get by with out wearing a cup in two sports where contact with the ball or players are much more common, I think I will be OK without one on the baseball field and I can at least see the ball coming.

Peace

Ump153 Sun Mar 08, 2009 05:49pm

Okay...those of you who feel the need to wear a cup, wear one. Those who do not, don't.

Do y'all really need to continue to try persuade others that your position is the correct one? Over this? Really?

Reminds me of the joker that PM'd me trying to stir the pot and now just won't quit with his "follow-ups."

JRutledge Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 586458)
Okay...those of you who feel the need to wear a cup, wear one. Those who do not, don't.

Do y'all really need to continue to try persuade others that your position is the correct one? Over this? Really?

Reminds me of the joker that PM'd me trying to stir the pot and now just won't quit with his "follow-ups."

I will only speak for me. I do not care what you do. This is a personal decision. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just shared my opinion and that is pretty much it. What someone does or does not wear is up to them. Just like just about any other thing in umpiring.

Peace

ncump7 Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:17am

JR...
Obviously, you have never been hit directly in the playoffs!!

LDUB Mon Mar 09, 2009 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 586453)
If I can get by with out wearing a cup in two sports where contact with the ball or players are much more common, I think I will be OK without one on the baseball field and I can at least see the ball coming.

I that you are more likely to get hit working football or basketball. The thing is taking a line drive to the groin in a baseball game is capable of causing serious heath problems; above there are stories of possible amputations. The chances of a basketball causing serious damage are a lot lower.

I've had a basketball thrown into my face and it wasn't really bad at all. Baseballs move faster and are harder. I assume that if someone had thrown a baseball and it had hit me in the face it would be been more painful.

JRutledge Mon Mar 09, 2009 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 586732)
I that you are more likely to get hit working football or basketball. The thing is taking a line drive to the groin in a baseball game is capable of causing serious heath problems; above there are stories of possible amputations. The chances of a basketball causing serious damage are a lot lower.

Getting hit by anything can cause a serious injury if you are hit properly in that area. I do not know why a basketball is the only threat of an injury. And in baseball the only real threat is probably the baseball. When bodies are all around you can easlily get kneed, kicked, ran into and that is not very common in baseball, espeically with two umpires and where you are located on the field. And that was not the point of why I said what I said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 586732)
I've had a basketball thrown into my face and it wasn't really bad at all. Baseballs move faster and are harder. I assume that if someone had thrown a baseball and it had hit me in the face it would be been more painful.

If that is the case, I have had a baseball hit me on throws that were deflected, but those did not hurt.

The point is not what could or could not hurt the most. The point the likelihood of being hit on the bases (if you are in any kind of shape) is rare and not something most people would get hit straight on. And I have never worn a cup on the bases and I have been fine. I have been hit, ran into or made contact with players or the ball in other sports and I do not think wearing a cup is essential there either. And on the bases it is not like the ball is not easy to see or know it is coming. I have not even been hit in the "playoffs" behind the plate and I am a stationary figure. In baseball while working the bases, I am not a stationary figure and have plenty of room to move.

As I said before, if it makes you feel better, wear a cup. I do not care what you do. I just see it as another thing to worry about that I find personally unnecessary. It is not like I am going to check what you are doing. The same as I am not going to check for a catcher either. ;)

Peace