The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Uniform question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52069-uniform-question.html)

bossman72 Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49pm

Uniform question

In your chapter:

1) If the PU wears a jacket, does the BU have to wear a jacket?

2) If the PU wears a long sleeved shirt, does the BU have to wear a jacket? (the long sleeved shirt being equivalent to a jacket on the PU essentially)

3) Is the base umpire ever allowed to wear a long sleeved shirt?

4) If the PU wears a short sleeved shirt, can the BU wear a jacket or not at his discretion?

I would just like to get a feel of what other chapters do.

Umpmazza Thu Mar 05, 2009 01:13am

Im my College assc or 1 that I work for, does not care if the PU has a long sleeve and the BU has a jacket on or a short sleeve...as long as they match the color.

But i have heard that the BU should not wear a long sleeve shirt alone, either a short sleeve or a Jacket...makes no sense to me though.

mrm21711 Thu Mar 05, 2009 01:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 585552)
In your chapter:

2) If the PU wears a long sleeved shirt, does the BU have to wear a jacket? (the long sleeved shirt being equivalent to a jacket on the PU essentially)

4) If the PU wears a short sleeved shirt, can the BU wear a jacket or not at his discretion?

1) Normally yes

2) Normally yes

3) Never seen in my area. Like in MLB & MiLB, base guys only wear short sleeve shirts or jackets (not the "smocks" that have come out in the past few years either)

4) Yes, PU is generally "on his own" and wears what he prefers and BUs should try to match EACH OTHER, not the PU. I have noticed MLB games where Joe West wears his plate coat behind the plate and the BUs all wear short sleeve shirts.

CajunNewBlue Thu Mar 05, 2009 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 585552)
In your chapter:

1) No
2) No
3) Yes
4) Yes
(color must match of course)
I love my association :D

bob jenkins Thu Mar 05, 2009 08:59am

No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.

(The color must match. All BUs must match in terms of "type" of outer layer. PU and BUs don't need to match.)

Kevin Finnerty Thu Mar 05, 2009 09:55am

No
No
Yes
Yes

Either ump can wear either a jacket or a long-sleeve as long as they match in color. I've only seen one base guy wear a long-sleeve shirt.

And, of course, if one base umpire wears a jacket or shirt, the other must.

Tim C Thu Mar 05, 2009 09:58am

No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.

(The color must match. All BUs must match in terms of "type" of outer layer. PU and BUs don't need to match.)

mbyron Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:53am

"Always listen to Bob."

--the basketball forum

MrUmpire Thu Mar 05, 2009 05:09pm

We changed our policy recently. Two man crews need to match...BU and PU...unles PU wears a traditional plate coat. In three man crews, and above, the BUs need to match.

David B Thu Mar 05, 2009 08:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 585615)
No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.

what Bob said ...

Thanks
David

outathm Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:34am

Working a conference tournament a few years back my partners and I had the first game. I decided and tried to convince my partners that we should wear shirts under our jackets. They said they were going with turtle necks only. I wore the shirt.

In the third inning it had gone from a windy 60 to a still 75.

I took off my jacket and got told by the UIC to put it back on so that we would look 'uniform'.

When we got into the room I took off my jacket and shirt and both made a loud 'SLAP' as they hit the floor. I had sweated through both of them. I HATE setting the dress code for all umpires off of what one guy wants to wear.

I was working First

Sorry for the rant.

cc6 Fri Mar 06, 2009 04:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 585876)
Working a conference tournament a few years back my partners and I had the first game. I decided and tried to convince my partners that we should wear shirts under our jackets. They said they were going with turtle necks only. I wore the shirt.

I took off my jacket and got told by the UIC to put it back on so that we would look 'uniform'.

When we got into the room I took off my jacket and shirt and both made a loud 'SLAP' as they hit the floor. I had sweated through both of them. I HATE setting the dress code for all umpires off of what one guy wants to wear.

Sorry for the rant.

They should try to consider everybody's interests when deciding what to wear. Were you plate ump for that game?

CajunNewBlue Fri Mar 06, 2009 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 585876)

Sorry for the rant.

Nothing like looking uniform and losing 20lbs of water weight.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:36am

I once saw both teams and all the spectators storm away because one umpire was wearing a windbreaker and the other took his off and got down to his uniform shirt. To most baseball people, it's unacceptable. This crowd was no different.

piaa_ump Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:55am

My .02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 585644)
No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.

same for me.....