The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Cup while BU? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/51779-cup-while-bu.html)

yawetag Fri Feb 20, 2009 03:00am

Cup while BU?

Seems like a silly question, but one I must ask so I don't look silly.

Do you wear a cup while BU?

MajorDave Fri Feb 20, 2009 03:21am

Under Armour Armor for my boys....

I started last fall. I worked a D-1 scrimmage on astroturf and had plate first. I saw how fast the ball moved at that level on that surface so when we switched out later in the scrimmage I left my cup on and did not even notice. That particular piece of equipment does not bother me or need adjusting and I don't really know it's there. I can run with no interference or adjustment/re-adjustment so I have started wearing mine. It does not look weird. No one notices. I wear Honig's poly-wool pants and they are amply cut so no bulging, binding, etc.

Tim C Fri Feb 20, 2009 08:49am

Thanks to DH

I wear a cup when I watch Baseball on TV.

Regards

cardinalfan Fri Feb 20, 2009 09:11am

I never have, but I've decided to start from game one this year and not quit. I'll get used to it.

Was working a semi-final 5A state tournament game last year. 3 man crew, after the sun went down, but not dark enough for the lights to be bright.
I was in the slot, kid hits a screamer just off the ground. Appears to be to my left, but then I see it is hooking toward me. Didn't know whether to go left or right, so I jumped.

Ball hit me on the ankle, nothing broken, but it was ugly & painful for several days.
It scared me pretty badly thinking about getting hit in the head or well... you know!

aschramm Fri Feb 20, 2009 09:19am

Absolutely. I was working a U14 game last summer, in 'C' position. Batter hits a screamer no more than 1 foot off the ground, hits me square in the shin. I figure if it's that painful to be hit there, I don't want to find out how bad it will be if I get hit in the other place.

johnnyg08 Fri Feb 20, 2009 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardinalfan (Post 581458)
I never have, but I've decided to start from game one this year and not quit. I'll get used to it.

Was working a semi-final 5A state tournament game last year. 3 man crew, after the sun went down, but not dark enough for the lights to be bright.
I was in the slot, kid hits a screamer just off the ground. Appears to be to my left, but then I see it is hooking toward me. Didn't know whether to go left or right, so I jumped.

Ball hit me on the ankle, nothing broken, but it was ugly & painful for several days.
It scared me pretty badly thinking about getting hit in the head or well... you know!

Just curious, what was your call after the ball hit you?

MajorDave Fri Feb 20, 2009 09:36am

Who's DH?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 581451)
I wear a cup when I watch Baseball on TV.

Regards

Just wondering.

Tim C Fri Feb 20, 2009 09:55am

Hehehehe,

Quote:

"Who's DH?"
Major:

I just wanted to give credit to the originator of the comment I made.

Dave Heaverlo was a relief pitcher for the A's and Mariner's. One season a Mariner picther, Mike Parrot, was hit in the jewels by a line drive. Parrot was NOT wearing a cup.

When asked by the media if Heaverlo wore a cup when he pitched his answer was:

"I wear a cup when I watch baseball on TV!"

When I steal I try to give credit.

Regards,

Rich Ives Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:07am

I remember a player one time said that his worst nightmare was that he was playing third base on Astroturf, had forgotten his cup, and Winfield was up.

johnnyg08 Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:11am

When a good hitter is up...I'll just reach into my ball bag and put it in. So for me it varies. :-)

Kevin Finnerty Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:15am

I wear a cup at almost all times ... just like former Giant Dave Heaverlo, who was traded to the A's in the Vida Blue deal.

MajorDave Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:39am

Mike Parrott?

I know a former MLB pitcher from here that now coaches pitchers at a HS where I work occasionally named Jeff Parrott. I admit I don't watch a lot of TV during baseball season. I was usually working/coaching/defending the country, etc. I have never developed a Sportscenter addiction either. I missed it and those names don't ring a bell for me either.

Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff.

cardinalfan Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 581474)
Just curious, what was your call after the ball hit you?

As a preacher, I can't repeat what my call was! ;)

We killed it. Batter on first. Runner on first forced to second.

Actually, my partners did that while the trainer, a girl young enough to be my daughter, looked at my ankle.

Umpmazza Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:06pm

Never ever ever will I wear a cup on the bases... If i cant moved ( at least turn a check) on the bases.. maybe I need a new gig.

johnnyg08 Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 581543)
Never ever ever will I wear a cup on the bases... If i cant moved ( at least turn a check) on the bases.. maybe I need a new gig.

+1 million