The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Naso (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/51318-naso.html)

LeoDev Fri Jan 30, 2009 09:55pm

Naso

I am thinking about joining NASO and was lokking for pros and cons about it.
Thanks in advance for the replys.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoDev (Post 574142)
I am thinking about joining NASO and was lokking for pros and cons about it.
Thanks in advance for the replys.

PRO: They have a good insurance program for sports officials.

CON: Don't have a con.

Welpe Sat Jan 31, 2009 03:57am

Pros:
  • Coverage for multiple sports and levels.
  • Members receive discounts on purchases of NASO publications.
  • Subscription to Member's Edtion of Referee magazine.

Cons:
  • More expensive than comparable coverage through places such as the ABUA.
  • Subscription to Referee magazine.

Kevin Finnerty Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:51am

Geez, I got NASO because the insurance coverage was not comparable to the ABUA. The NASO liability coverage is $4 million and the ABUA's is $1 million. I do games where a third of the dads in the stands are lawyers. I need as much liability as I can get in my main policy.

3SPORT Sat Jan 31, 2009 02:21pm

I have been a member for many years but I am re-thinking it this year.
My high school insurance coverage through the Federation Officials association gives me coverage for the sports I work.

NASO is expensive but I believe Referee mag is a good benefit. If I drop the insurance, I will probably still continue to get the magazine.

Seriously, what is the difference between 4 million coverage and 1 million coverage. The vultures will get what they can get.

ozzy6900 Sat Jan 31, 2009 02:42pm

Both my son & I are members of NASO. Good coverage, fair magazine, good buys on items. I've been a member for 27 years and no down side other than the dues have increased over the years.

Kevin Finnerty Sat Jan 31, 2009 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3SPORT (Post 574250)
I have been a member for many years but I am re-thinking it this year.
My high school insurance coverage through the Federation Officials association gives me coverage for the sports I work.

NASO is expensive but I believe Referee mag is a good benefit. If I drop the insurance, I will probably still continue to get the magazine.

Seriously, what is the difference between 4 million coverage and 1 million coverage. The vultures will get what they can get.

Very often, an injury settlement will have the vulture stop trying after $1 million and well short of $4 million. Even paralysis victims stop before $4 million. I've seen a lot, and your statement is quite vague.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 574258)
Both my son & I are members of NASO. Good coverage, fair magazine, good buys on items. I've been a member for 27 years and no down side other than the dues have increased over the years.

Also, I took my son to a tournament in Arizona that I wasn't even umpiring, and I got a three star hotel room for half off with my NASO card. My yearly dues cost me $94.00 and my first use of my NASO card saved me almost $400.00. So because of my NASO membership, we didn't have to stay in some P.O.S. hotel just to please Mrs. Finnerty.

Welpe Sat Jan 31, 2009 08:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 574205)
Geez, I got NASO because the insurance coverage was not comparable to the ABUA. The NASO liability coverage is $4 million and the ABUA's is $1 million. I do games where a third of the dads in the stands are lawyers. I need as much liability as I can get in my main policy.

Ah I did not realize ABUA coverage was lower. Thank you for the correction.

You raise another good point, NASO membership entitles you to discounts at hotels and car rentals.

Rich Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 574320)
Ah I did not realize ABUA coverage was lower. Thank you for the correction.

You raise another good point, NASO membership entitles you to discounts at hotels and car rentals.

The best benefit is the VIP rate at Marriott properties. I'm a Marriott Platinum (more than 75 nights a year) and some of the discounts have been more for one night than the annual NASO membership.

Kevin Finnerty Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:59am

Absolutely!

One weekend at a Marriott and the money I saved paid for my NASO membership for the next four years.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Feb 01, 2009 02:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 574289)
So because of my NASO mambership, we didn't have to stay in some P.O.S. hotel just to please Mrs. Finnerty.

Be extremely cautious about staying at a P.O.S. hotel...they may suddenly go out of business!:rolleyes:

PABlue Sun Feb 01, 2009 07:33am

It covers me for ALL my sports just not baseball like ABUA. That's a good thing when your doing mutiple sports and multiple leagues.

BigTex Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 574368)
Be extremely cautious about staying at a P.O.S. hotel...they may suddenly go out of business!:rolleyes:

I tried to stay at one, and all of their rooms were back-ordered.:confused:

tballump Sun Feb 01, 2009 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 574368)

As opposed to....down the toilet?

SethPDX Sun Feb 01, 2009 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 574407)
I tried to stay at one, and all of their rooms were back-ordered.:confused:

:D:D:D
I don't care who ya are...

There will come a day when a younger generation of officials wonders what we're all laughing about.