The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Official's Choice Shirts

Check out this Official's Choice black shirt:

The piping is thick, rather than the pinstripe that it's supposed to have. Their first run of shirts had a slightly thicker-than-standard stripe and it was passable, but these are twice as thick as the first one, and distinctly non-standard.

This matters to one assignor around here, but does it matter to you if your shirt doesn't match your partner's, even though it's the same color?

The Official's Choice guy said that he's going to change the way umpires dress one umpire at a time. I wonder if he changed that first umpire yet.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
This matters to one assignor around here, but does it matter to you if your shirt doesn't match your partner's, even though it's the same color?
It doesn't matter to me (within the realm of which you are speaking).
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

If I had a partner wearing that I don't think I'd mind. I did see the post you made on another site about the e-mail you got back when you wrote to the owner about the stripes. I got a good laugh out of it.

I wouldn't have the shirt pictured anyway, since I bought two OC shirts last year and thought they were just all right, but not as good as Honig's IMO.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

The quality is not as good. Cut a little big. Not bad to have a couple of the colors you dont wear everyday and good for first year guys not trying to spend a fortune.
The size of the stripes isint as big a deal as the MLB powder blue with black collar. The blue is a complete different color from other manuf. I had to buy 1 OC and 1 from another manuf. so I would match my partner(s)
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

I actually would mind if the trim of my partners shirt was not the same as mine if it was noticeably different. Now I'm not going to go booger picking either. I had no problems a few years ago when the Honigs shirts had different trim.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

The only good thing about Officials Choice:

Where else can you find a gray, maroon, or chocolate shirt? If you want to try something different, these are some inexpensive offers. Other than that, their stuff isn't worth the $12.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12 View Post
The quality is not as good. Cut a little big. Not bad to have a couple of the colors you dont wear everyday and good for first year guys not trying to spend a fortune.
This about nails it.

And as for their foray into the invention of alternative colors aimed at changing the industry one umpire at a time: The white with the black collar, okay; the maroon with the black collar, within sight of okay; the chocolate brown is ... well, not okay.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Back a couple of seasons ago, I was in the market for some new powder blue shirts. Decided to try the Officials Choice brand to save a few bucks (my old shirts were Cliff Keen).

My impressions:

- There is a definite "open weave" to the fabric. I guess that might be a bonus on a very hot day, but it wasn't what I was expecting. By "open weave", I mean that if you're wearing an undershirt with any type of logo on it, the logo is totally readable through the Officials Choice shirt. Same with a chest protector- every logo, pad, plate, buckle and strap can be made out right through the fabric.

Perhaps that is less of an issue with a darker colored shirt, or when the shirt is viewed from a distance.

- The light blue buttons on the shirt turned that funky "pinkish/purplely" color after a few washings. I will likely wind up replacing these buttons myself.

- The stitching around the button holes seemed to unravel and fray a bit. I found myself clipping off loose threads fairly often and this area of the shirt is looking kind of worn.

- The sizing is generous. My XL shirts were roomier than any XL shirt I've had from other brands.

- The "see through" effect, faded buttons and button hole stitching aside, these shirts are quite comfortable. As for durability, the rest of the shirt- collar, sleeves, body, pocket, seams, etc.- has held up well, with no noticable wear or damage.

Would I order these shirts again? I'm kind of on the fence. Considering the cheap price, probably, just to get a shirt color that I wouldn't use too often, or to have some back-ups for summer when I'm working tons of league games night-after-night.

Last edited by BretMan; Tue Jan 20, 2009 at 08:39pm.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This about nails it.

And as for their foray into the invention of alternative colors aimed at changing the industry one umpire at a time: The white with the black collar, okay; the maroon with the black collar, within sight of okay; the chocolate brown is ... well, not okay.
I did get the white /black collar, $12.50 I like it. I hope some other guys in my assoc. buy one.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, we got that.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a powder blue long sleeve and short sleeve and wore each once last spring. The short sleeve has the material BretMan described, which also surprised me. My long sleeve was a different material, with no holes. The issue with that one was that after one plate game I had some snags along the sides, I think from the straps on my chest protector. That hasn't happened with any of my Honig's shirts.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

They started making their shirts with the stuff that snags that you described. Then they went to that loose see-through weave that Bret described. The second generation looks terrible with virtually any undershirt--especially in the lighter colors. The first generation fabric is softer and more comfortable and just as lightweight, but snags like that with very little use. At $12.00 or $15.00, I bought back-ups while they were still made of that first generation weave. I only got stuck with the MLB polo blue in the newer fabric. Check that: I got the white with the black collar, but it can't be worn with a black undershirt. I got it for one of those 105 degree games they have here in the valley. I even got an extra for partner loaner.

Cliff Keen's not the answer--not as comfortable as these, especially in hot weather. But they last longer, as do the Honig's. I rotate so many shirts, and wash them so delicately that they always look sharp and seem to last a long time. But if all I used was the Official's Choice, I'd be pretty pissed off at all the inconsistency and how they and the company perform.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Tue Jan 20, 2009 at 11:14pm.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with everyone here. We wear black under both black and MLB polo, so the open weave on the black shirts is not an issue (Other than the wider striping).

The MLB polo is a different story: I ordered a couple as spares for tournament time last summer and really do not like the change. Keeping them as spares and ordering more shirts from Honigs.

Shame, as I like the light weight for our six months of hot weather.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, we got that.
Why that double-posted, I don't know...but I do hate double posts.

One of them shall die!
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I hope that I helped.