The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Happy Birthday to Me: Maximizing the 2 Umpire System (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/50959-happy-birthday-me-maximizing-2-umpire-system.html)

TussAgee11 Wed Jan 14, 2009 07:03pm

Happy Birthday to Me: Maximizing the 2 Umpire System

Well, could barely put the thing down to come type this post.

I'm not intending work as an advertiser here, but whoa that thing has got some good stuff in it.

I'm through about page 40 and while I haven't stumbled on anything real important that I didn't already know, I've picked up some tidbits. But those first 40 pages, man if I had those when I first started umpiring. Took me 3 years to get alot of that stuff that I could have gotten in 20 minutes.

A very nice addition to the library, if you ask me. You can either read it or get the nice diagrams that will walk you through virtually every situation you will see over the course of 9 innings. Even if you know it, its a great refresher.

Wish I could buy one for a lot of my comrades... :( Problem with the 2 man system is 2 people have to know it...

Kevin Finnerty Wed Jan 14, 2009 07:49pm

Happy Birthday!

And I appreciate the plug, because I ordered it last week when they had the ad in Referee. I'm glad I didn't blow $20.00 I could have blown on gear I don't really need.

MrUmpire Wed Jan 14, 2009 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin finnerty (Post 568714)
happy birthday!

And i appreciate the plug, because i ordered it last week when they had the ad in referee. I'm glad i didn't blow $20.00 i could have blown on gear i don't really need.

$20?

KJUmp Wed Jan 14, 2009 09:47pm

Sounds like a must read...

How/where can you order a copy?

MajorDave Wed Jan 14, 2009 09:51pm

go to...

either Umpire Training Conducted by Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring and find store.

or Umpire's Resource Center and find store.

Jim Evans wrote it (with some help) and I bet it is great. It's on my list to buy.

MrUmpire Wed Jan 14, 2009 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 568743)
How/where can you order a copy?

I already have one.

But you could order one here:
Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring Publications

Evans offers it at $69.95

Kevin Finnerty Wed Jan 14, 2009 09:56pm

I'm awake now.

Different book; sorry.

bossman72 Thu Jan 15, 2009 01:49am

Tuss,

What does this book cover that the Redbook or CCA manual does not cover?

MrUmpire Thu Jan 15, 2009 02:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 568784)
Tuss,

What does this book cover that the Redbook or CCA manual does not cover?

I'm not Tuss, but basically this book covers everything about umpire behavior, movement, responsibilites, actions, objectives, calls and mechanics from the time an umpire arrives at a game until he leaves.

This book is to the redbook what the JEA is to the rulebook.

TussAgee11 Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 568793)

This book is to the redbook what the JEA is to the rulebook.

I'd say that's about right.

I'm sure that there are some slight differences in some mechanics between PBUC material and Evans material for 2 man. Some slightly different stuff on rundowns, for example. If I sat side by side with the two I'm sure you would find more, but that's not where the gem in this book is.

I think Evan's stuff has a bit more philosophy in it, or behind it, as well. After reading it, I feel like I just walked out of a classroom at a Camp.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Jan 15, 2009 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 568751)
I'm awake now.

Different book; sorry.

So, you really did blow $20 you could have put toward this really good book!:)

Kevin Finnerty Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 569198)
So, you really did blow $20 you could have put toward this really good book!:)

:D

I think I did.