The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 25, 2002, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I'm not an umpire, but recently the local Little League has been looking for umpires and I considered signing up. My only concern is my vision.

My right eye is essentially useless, so my depth perception isn't good. Over the years I've learned to compensate - I can drive a car without problems and I've learned to hit a pitched ball, but do you think I'm opening myself up for too many headaches by officiating? Or are there vision requirements that would override this anyway?
Old Sat May 25, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Try it. What have you got to lose... I mean it's a LL game, not the World Series, right?

Work a few games in the field first. Then try the plate.

For what it is worth. (And I am no expert). BUT in my Assoc, we have a member, 6 year veteran, who works games up to HS Varsity, 18 year old select, etc. He does a good job, and he has vision in only one eye.

So it is possible. As you said, your brain has compensated.
Old Sat May 25, 2002, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Not meaning to be cruel; but, at least when someone yells out to YOU: "What!!! Are you blind blue???" You can tell them: "in a manner of speaking yes!"
So, you're a leg up on the rest of us, GO FOR IT!!!!! You may even find out that because you have learned to compensate that you may be better than you think; and, better than a lot of us.....
Old Sat May 25, 2002, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Many years ago there was an MLB ump named George Moriarty who told this story on himself.

A rookie was at bat, and Moriarty called two quick strikes on him. The rook asks for time, and asks Moriaty how he spells his name. Moriarty swells with pride, thinking the kid's going to write home and tell his family that "The Great Moriarty" umped his game. M-O-R-I-A-R-T-Y. The rookie steps back in the box and says, "Just as I thought, only one eye".

Moriarty said he laughed so hard, he couldn't run the kid.

Jim, go for it. Good luck.

Bob

Old Sat May 25, 2002, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

That ump was the grandfather of actor Michael Moriarty.
Old Mon May 27, 2002, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Jim Peterson

I'm not an umpire, but recently the local Little League has been looking for umpires and I considered signing up. My only concern is my vision.

My right eye is essentially useless, so my depth perception isn't good. Over the years I've learned to compensate - I can drive a car without problems and I've learned to hit a pitched ball, but do you think I'm opening myself up for too many headaches by officiating? Or are there vision requirements that would override this anyway?

Jim I echo the others - Go for it, however, IMO the key phrase in your thread is: the local Little League has been looking for umpires

Mos LL associations are always looking for umpires because coaches at the LL level can be over bearing to say the least. Many veteran umpires have packed in their LL patches for greener pastures such as HS ball where for the most part coaches behave themselves.

Pete Booth
Old Tue May 28, 2002, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Thanks for all the responses, I'm think I'm going to sign up. I don't think the LL coaches can be any more overbearing than I can be.

I especially like the Moriarity story, that one's a keeper!
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Talking Go for it

Jim;

You need to read my article on Catholic Priests and Umpires. (See the home page of eumpire!)

Bottom line:

Child molestor Catholic Priests are kept on board because of an extreme shortage of priests. What's a missing eye to an umpire compared to missing moral character for a priest?

We had an umpire in our association who had a glass eye. He reached the NCAA level (very junior level) before I figured out that he was blind in one eye!

Peter