The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   fly out supersedes declared out ? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/50137-fly-out-supersedes-declared-out.html)

UmpTTS43 Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 555828)
Excuse me. I have followed this thread. That's where I read your statementL "When a violation has occured and is observed, it should always be vocalized at the time of the infraction."

Not being a mind reader, I took you at your words.

I'm happy that you know what you're doing. Now if you only knew what you were saying. :rolleyes:

Alright, I'll give you that.

You sure you're not my wife? Sound just like her.:D

Ump153 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 555834)

You sure you're not my wife? Sound just like her.:D

Where I live, that kind of an arrangement is now prohibited by the state constitution.

SAump Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:56pm

A 4th Dimension to Passing

Same situation, batter hits a HR instead of a fly out, passing occurred. The out is recognized during a stoppage of time. [7.08h]

For the record on OP fly out, home plate was never legally obtained by the runner. The runner must return and touch 3B. Three outs officially ended the half-inning. This point about a possible apparent, advantageous 4th out is now moot. [2.00 Retouch]

OP. Dropped ball, passing, RF throws to 2nd for the force. No run scores.
{Note: I doubt passing effectively removes the force out on R1 at 2B. [7.08e]}

OP. Dropped ball, passing, all runners safely reach advanced base. Run scores. Half-inning ends.
{Note: Passing "effectively" becomes 3rd out of the half-inning. [7.08h]}

Passing in "effect" is treated as a delayed, dead ball penalty on the offense. [9.01c]

Umpmazza Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigda65 (Post 555787)
Problem solved,

Do it like the IFF, Vocalize B/R out for passing if uncaught and fair.

:D

If the play is a IFF how can we have a B/R passing another runner? The B/R is out as soon as the IFF is called.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 555854)
Same situation, batter hits a HR instead of a fly out, passing occurred. The out is recognized during a stoppage of time.

For the record on OP fly out, home plate was never legally obtained by the runner. The runner must return and touch 3B. Three outs officially ended the half-inning. This point about a possible apparent, advantageous 4th out is now moot.

OP. Dropped ball, passing, RF throws to 2nd for the force. No run scores.
{Note: I doubt passing effectively removes the force out on R1 at 2B.}

OP. Dropped ball, passing, all runners safely reach advanced base. Run scores. Half-inning ends.
{Note: Passing "effectively" becomes 3rd out of the half-inning.}

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible given how I'm feelign this morning and the amount of OTC drugs in my system, you're 0 for 3.

Tim C Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:14am

~Sigh~

Quote:

"Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible given how I'm feelign this morning and the amount of OTC drugs in my system, you're 0 for 3."
Actually Bob, to be brutally honest, "SA" is 0-for-his career on this site.

Regards,

SAump Sat Dec 06, 2008 03:05pm

Timing

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 555903)
Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible given how I'm feelign this morning and the amount of OTC drugs in my system, you're 0 for 3.

You were correct, again. You never miss anything.
I was missing something from each scenario I presented. BRD 416.
I was wrong, 0-fer-3.