The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   MLB umpire camp? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49703-mlb-umpire-camp.html)

umpjayfire Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:46am

MLB umpire camp?

I was considering attending the MLB umpire camp...Does anyone have an opinion on the worthiness of this camp?.....Why do they not have any current pro guys on the field staff?....thanks for your input

MLB Umpire Camps | MLB.com: MLBUC

Tim C Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:15am

Ok,

Here are the facts with no emotion or other details:

Both the Unions for MLB and MiLB selected to not participate in "Camp Compton" this year.

The decision was made by the Boards of both unions for their own reasons.

Regards,

Kevin Finnerty Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:55am

And fine unions they are and have always been.

Baseball first! :rolleyes:

SanDiegoSteve Tue Nov 04, 2008 02:42pm

There are still a boatload of big name former MLB umpires there, from Palermo to Springstead to Froemming just to name a few. It sounds like a pretty decent one-week camp.

umpjayfire Tue Nov 04, 2008 03:14pm

Definitely, from a schmoozing stand point, it would be cool to meet the legends like Froemming, Springstead and Palermo. But, do you all think that from a standpoint of 2-man umpiring, which is what I do in HS, it is worth it...really...do you think Froemming could add valuable input toward 2man umpiring?...He hasn't done it in a million years and physically he couldn't do it.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Nov 04, 2008 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjayfire (Post 548504)
Definitely, from a schmoozing stand point, it would be cool to meet the legends like Froemming, Springstead and Palermo. But, do you all think that from a standpoint of 2-man umpiring, which is what I do in HS, it is worth it...really...do you think Froemming could add valuable input toward 2man umpiring?...He hasn't done it in a million years and physically he couldn't do it.

Neither can Palermo, obviously, or even Marty Springstead, but they are not the field instructors anyway. However, I think all of these former MLB umpires would be invaluable in the classroom setting and would have a lot of knowledge and experience to pass on.

socalblue1 Tue Nov 04, 2008 04:45pm

They bring in local NCAA & former MiLB folks for on field work.

MrUmpire Tue Nov 04, 2008 06:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalblue1 (Post 548536)
They bring in local NCAA & former MiLB folks for on field work.

Don't forget the scabs that will be there.

Bottom line, if you want to become a better umpire, attend one of Jim Evans Classics. If you want to hear war stories and shmooze with over the hill umpires who have turned their backs on their former union and partners, attend the Compton clinic.

Kevin Finnerty Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:43pm

Quote:

The legends describe the mechanics and the minor league and college guys demonstrate. It's pretty cool.

Palermo's worth it all by himself.

Umpmazza Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:08am

Quote:

I dont ever think you can put a price on training and education.

Ump153 Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 548455)
And fine unions they are and have always been.

Baseball first!

You are correct. They are fine unions who believe in placing baseball first, not publicity stunts like the MLB umpire camp. Their members work hard at both pro schools and numerous clinics around the country really educating and training amateur umpires instead of posing for the media in southern California.

socalblue1 Wed Nov 05, 2008 02:58am

Compton is an adult umpire fantasy camp. Given that, the ability to spend some time with Bruce, Steve and a few other select folks would be worth the time.

The field staff has improved since I last looked. There a few guys there that can teach (Hiler, Felt & Bauza). Larry Young is very good on rules.

Will it be equal to Evans? No, as they will need to instruct to the lowest level (And it will be really LOW).

Kevin Finnerty Wed Nov 05, 2008 04:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 548600)
You are correct. They are fine unions who believe in placing baseball first, not publicity stunts like the MLB umpire camp. Their members work hard at both pro schools and numerous clinics around the country really educating and training amateur umpires instead of posing for the media in southern California.

Really? Did you ever go to the So. Cal camp? It wasn't what you describe.

Publius Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:18am

You're about the only one, then....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 548598)
I dont ever think you can put a price on training and education.

Every clinic I have ever attended had a price attached to it.

Umpmazza Wed Nov 05, 2008 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 548652)
Every clinic I have ever attended had a price attached to it.

dude...what im trying to say... is the training will be worth every penny. man some people ...and BTW there is a price tag.. look at the web site it will tell you how much it cost.