The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Could this have been ab accident? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49454-could-have-been-ab-accident.html)

jwwashburn Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:28am

Could this have been ab accident?

Hot Air Blog Archive Video: Ref tackles South Carolina quarterback

You would have to guess it was but...it sure looks very bad.

jwwashburn Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:35am

I dunt spel rel gud

:d

Emperor Ump Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:58pm

Wow! The way he lowered his shoulder and stayed square then moved in for the hit, I'd have to say it doesn't look too much like an accident.

I'm stunned.

jwwashburn Tue Oct 21, 2008 01:21pm

Ok, maybe it is the angle that we are seeing...maybe.

But it sure looks like he hit him on purpose. If that is me, I am doing everything I can to get out of the way!

If someone has some perspective on this...speak up. For now, this is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen involving an official.

This was an SEC game for crying out loud!

Joe in Missouri

bobbybanaduck Tue Oct 21, 2008 01:35pm

Sportscenter had a few minute long discussion on it this morning. They showed multiple angles and tried to explain what was going on. The umpire started where he always does, then, when the play developed and looked like it was going to the right, he moved off to the left to get out of the way. The QB then cut back to the left, heading right at the umpire in his new position. They showed it in real time and in slow mo...and it looked like when the cut back happened he tried quickly to bolt into a space between the approaching QB and the attacking defenders. That hole, however, quickly closed and he then braced for the impending impact. His football background apparently took over (he used to be a linebacker) and instead of bracing for the hit he actually delivered one of his own. They also had the post game interview with the LSU coach and he said it happens quite often...but usually ends up with the umpire on his behind, not the player. They all were having a pretty decent laugh about it.

jwwashburn Tue Oct 21, 2008 01:48pm

That sheds a good deal of light on it.

Obviously there could be crooked football officials working SEC games...but it would not be a good idea to tackle guys if you have money on the game:eek:

LDUB Tue Oct 21, 2008 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Ump (Post 544503)
Wow! The way he lowered his shoulder and stayed square then moved in for the hit, I'd have to say it doesn't look too much like an accident.

I'm stunned.

SEC football officiating has some major issues, but do you really think that they go around knocking players to the ground?

This isn't a big deal.

Emperor Ump Tue Oct 21, 2008 04:28pm

I love my SEC football, check out Umpire-Empire and you'll see (Shameless plug) Just his movements in that video look intentional the way he is squaring up and hopping up the line. While it looks intentional especially with him lowering the shoulder. But I'd accept the fact that it wasn't after all the guy was a linebacker and that was a DB type hit.

LDUB Tue Oct 21, 2008 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Ump (Post 544579)
While it looks intentional especially with him lowering the shoulder.

What did you expect him to do, just allow himself to get knocked over?

zebra2955 Wed Oct 22, 2008 01:01pm

I have umpired High school football. You sometimes get in the way and have every right to protect yourself. Not a big deal ! Get over it,

bluezebra Thu Oct 23, 2008 07:08pm

I watched the replay many times, and to me it was obvious that he deliberately threw an elbow into the runner. That was NOT a defensive move.

Bob

JJ Thu Oct 23, 2008 07:41pm

Hmmm...a football discussion on a baseball board. The only connection I can see is that football is something you do until baseball season rolls around :rolleyes:

JJ

LMan Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 545284)
Hmmm...a football discussion on a baseball board. The only connection I can see is that football is something you do until baseball season rolls around :rolleyes:

JJ

My thought exactly.

LDUB Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra (Post 545267)
I watched the replay many times, and to me it was obvious that he deliberately threw an elbow into the runner. That was NOT a defensive move.

Bob

There is a guy running at you, what are you going to do? Stand there and get knocked on the ground, or use your arm/shoulder to protect yourself?

DonInKansas Sat Oct 25, 2008 08:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 545542)
There is a guy running at you, what are you going to do? Stand there and get knocked on the ground, or use your arm/shoulder to protect yourself?

That guy's never going to live down getting leveled by an official. Even if he is a former college linebacker.