The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NF Balk rule (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49266-nf-balk-rule.html)

Illini_Ref Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:57am

NF Balk rule

Is there a portion of the NFHS rulebook that deals with a pitcher using an action the "deliberately deceives" the runner, and listing that as a balk?

I cannot find one, yet that is the catch-all we hear all of the time. The book lists things that are balks, but I find nothing about "deceiving" the baserunner.

Rich Ives Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illini_Ref (Post 541686)
Is there a portion of the NFHS rulebook that deals with a pitcher using an action the "deliberately deceives" the runner, and listing that as a balk?

I cannot find one, yet that is the catch-all we hear all of the time. The book lists things that are balks, but I find nothing about "deceiving" the baserunner.

That's because deceit is legal - if done within the limits in the rules.

johnnyg08 Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:15pm

Quote:

remember that there's legal deception and illegal deception...the whole point of a legal, attempted pick off is legal deception

Delaware Blue Tue Oct 07, 2008 03:40pm

Quote:

I cannot find one, yet that is the catch-all we hear all of the time.

That's a catch-all for people who don't understand the rules. Pitchers legally deceive runners all the time. If they deceive the runner and violated one of the balk rules, then it's a balk because they violated the rule.

You may be thinking of the comment under Rule 8.05 in the OBR: Umpires should bear in mind that the purpose of the balk rule is to prevent the pitcher from deliberately deceiving the base runner. If there is doubt in the umpire’s mind, the "intent" of the pitcher should govern.

I would not rely on that comment to support a balk call. Most of the illegal deceitful acts are already covered as balks elsewhere in the rules - straddling the rubber without the ball, mimicking the pitching motion when not in contact, feinting a throw to first base, etc.

ChapJim Wed Oct 08, 2008 05:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delaware Blue (Post 541788)
I would not rely on that comment to support a balk call. Most of the illegal deceitful acts are already covered as balks elsewhere in the rules - straddling the rubber without the ball, mimicking the pitching motion when not in contact, feinting a throw to first base, etc.

I agree. Don't call a balk unless you have observed a violation of one of the balk rules. The "intent to deceive" lets you NOT call a balk when it is clear that there was no intent to deceive. A good example: Stepping off with the wrong foot. I often won't call a balk unless the pitcher makes a move toward a runner after he steps off, especially during summer rec ball or fall ball.

mbyron Wed Oct 08, 2008 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChapJim (Post 541900)
I agree. Don't call a balk unless you have observed a violation of one of the balk rules. The "intent to deceive" lets you NOT call a balk when it is clear that there was no intent to deceive. A good example: Stepping off with the wrong foot. I often won't call a balk unless the pitcher makes a move toward a runner after he steps off, especially during summer rec ball or fall ball.

I disagree. Stepping off with the wrong foot (usually from the windup) is always a balk with runners on, as it simulates the start of a pitch: "started and stopped, coach."

Kevin Finnerty Wed Oct 08, 2008 09:55am

I'm with you. That's a balk every time, and I hate to call balks. Every borderline motion---especially the really crafty lefties---and I let it go. I'll even give a ventriloquist's warning an a quick set or something borderline. But that one you can't let go.

Emperor Ump Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:15am

There are some balks where while there is zero intent, they are textbook balks you have to call. Stepping off with the wrong foot is one, and dropping the ball while in contact with the pitchers plate is another. When you call them nobody argues (unless nobody in your association calls it, then when I step on the field I get the "nobody has ever called it a balk before), you really don't have to sell it that well.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Oct 08, 2008 02:24pm

Exactly!

mbyron Thu Oct 09, 2008 06:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Ump (Post 541960)
... you really don't have to sell it that well.

I don't sell balk calls anymore. For FED: "Time! That's a balk! Started and stopped!" (or "No step" or "Never came set"). Usually the coach can't even get out of the dugout before he knows why I called the balk.

justanotherblue Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:32am

NASO puts out some good stuff for Fed rules on balks. Something you might want to look into. Remember, rule with the book not by the book. There are times when you can cringe and not call a balk, then there's that blatent one you have to call even though there is no advantage gained. The problem in dealing with youth league as well as HS coach's is they may or may not understand balk or no balk situations, which leads to an argument.

Illini_Ref Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59am

Here was the premise for my question. This move was taught to HS players by a local coach and he asked me about it.

RH pitcher. Runner on first, pitcher in the set position. Pitcher picks his rigth (non pivot) foot straight up as he would his left to pitch (about 2 feet off the ground). Some runners, who are not real experienced at the HS level, will go when the knee comes up not realizing which knee it is. Pitcher then brings the foot down behind the rubber and throws to second.

I have a problem with this play, although it is not specifically covered in the rules. Maybe you could stretch them to say that the movement is one that is "associated with his delivery", but is it really since it is the other leg?

Fritz Thu Oct 09, 2008 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illini_Ref (Post 542201)
Here was the premise for my question. This move was taught to HS players by a local coach and he asked me about it.

RH pitcher. Runner on first, pitcher in the set position. Pitcher picks his rigth (non pivot) foot straight up as he would his left to pitch (about 2 feet off the ground). Some runners, who are not real experienced at the HS level, will go when the knee comes up not realizing which knee it is. Pitcher then brings the foot down behind the rubber and throws to second.

I have a problem with this play, although it is not specifically covered in the rules. Maybe you could stretch them to say that the movement is one that is "associated with his delivery", but is it really since it is the other leg?

He throws to 2nd? Has the runner already taken off? If the runner is still at 1st, you have a balk for throwing to an unoccupied and there being no play. But let's say he steps off in the manner you describe and throws to first. Explain your rationale for a balk call when the DC says the pitcher was simply and properly disengaging from the rubber.

mbyron Thu Oct 09, 2008 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 542232)
He throws to 2nd? Has the runner already taken off? If the runner is still at 1st, you have a balk for throwing to an unoccupied and there being no play. But let's say he steps off in the manner you describe and throws to first. Explain your rationale for a balk call when the DC says the pitcher was simply and properly disengaging from the rubber.

No you don't. He stepped off first, so he's an infielder and can throw wherever he wishes.

I don't buy the idea that lifting his pivot foot off really high is simulating a pitch. Runners should go back to the base when the pivot foot moves. I'm not balking that. That confers an advantage only if the runner's an idiot.

The rules specify that disengaging the rubber involves moving the pivot foot directly back behind the rubber. It doesn't say how hight the knee is allowed to go as F1 steps off.

Fritz Thu Oct 09, 2008 02:07pm

yep, my bad mb. Two trains of thought going on in the brain at the same time; then my fingers decided to send a text (a la California) and you see the result.