The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   out of baseline at home plate (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49113-out-baseline-home-plate.html)

gordon30307 Fri Sep 26, 2008 03:19pm

out of baseline at home plate

Watching the Cubs vs. Mets yesterday evening Hill the Cubs catcher has the ball well before the Mets runner reaches the plate and is bracing for the collision. The runner runs around Hill who lunges for him and misses and Hill loses the race to the plate. Any other base and the runner probably is called out for being out of the baseline. I had no problem with the call but I was just wondering how far in the vicinity of the plate must the runner go before he would be called out for being out of the baseline? I know more leeway is given around the plate but how much?

mbyron Fri Sep 26, 2008 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307 (Post 539593)
Watching the Cubs vs. Mets yesterday evening Hill the Cubs catcher has the ball well before the Mets runner reaches the plate and is bracing for the collision. The runner runs around Hill who lunges for him and misses and Hill loses the race to the plate. Any other base and the runner probably is called out for being out of the baseline. I had no problem with the call but I was just wondering how far in the vicinity of the plate must the runner go before he would be called out for being out of the baseline? I know more leeway is given around the plate but how much?

3.27 feet.

Ump29 Fri Sep 26, 2008 07:39pm

Give or take .27 feet.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Sep 26, 2008 09:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307 (Post 539593)

1) 3.000001 ft.
2) .000001 ft.

In my amateurish opinion, not being anywhere near good enough to make calls like this at the major league level, I would say that if the catcher had to lunge more than 3 feet away from a direct line between the runner and the plate, that he should have been called out for being out of the baseline.

Rich Ives Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:01pm

The catcher was on the baseline - a kneeling straddle.

The runner was already 4-5 feet on the foul side of the line before the catcher had the ball.

Upon receiving the throw, the catcher lunged at the runner who took one step away from him and "arched" away from the tag.

There were no objections from the defense.

canadaump6 Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:06pm

Step and reach. If he does both and still can't touch the runner, call the out.

Nigel Tufnel Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6 (Post 539654)
Step and reach. If he does both and still can't touch the runner, call the out.

Our boy is growing up....

Good call Canada...

SanDiegoSteve Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 539651)
The catcher was on the baseline - a kneeling straddle.

The runner was already 4-5 feet on the foul side of the line before the catcher had the ball.

Upon receiving the throw, the catcher lunged at the runner who took one step away from him and "arched" away from the tag.

There were no objections from the defense.

Thanks for filling in the missing information. I was picturing the runner coming straight into the waiting catcher and then veering away. That makes a big difference.

bluezebra Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:41am

Repeat after me, "BASEPATH, BASEPATH, BASEPATH."

Bob

mbyron Sat Sep 27, 2008 06:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra (Post 539662)

Bob

This magic mantra of yours will make it no easier to explain the rule to a coach, and ignores the terminology of the actual rule. :rolleyes:

Rich Ives Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra (Post 539662)

Bob

Read the rule:

7.08 Any runner is out when—
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runner’s baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely;

johnnyg08 Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:34am

I think the key w/ this rule is "his baseline" versus "the baseline"

bluezebra Sun Sep 28, 2008 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 539697)
Read the rule:

7.08 Any runner is out when—
(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runner’s baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely;

In all the associations I belonged to in Southern California, it was referred to as “basepath”.

From: BASEBALL RULES by Major League Baseball and have been reproduced - without any alteration - by Baseball Almanac:

"7.08 Any runner is out when-

(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball; or..."

Where did YOUR 7.08 come from?

Bob

Matt Sun Sep 28, 2008 08:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra (Post 539920)
In all the associations I belonged to in Southern California, it was referred to as “basepath”.

From: BASEBALL RULES by Major League Baseball and have been reproduced - without any alteration - by Baseball Almanac:

"7.08 Any runner is out when-

(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball; or..."

Where did YOUR 7.08 come from?

Bob

You might want to get your rules updated. The version Rich is quoting is the new 7.08 incorporated in the latest changes to OBR.

justanotherblue Sun Sep 28, 2008 09:30pm

BASEPATH..BASEPATH..BASEPATH...

Nope.. still safe :D