The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Favorite Unorthodox Shirt Colour

What kinds of colours have you heard of, and is there an unconventional colour of shirt that you like to wear? Pictures of various shirts are always a bonus. JM showed us pictures of pink shirts and I thought they looked very sharp. Officials Choice sells chocolate:

Any others you can think of?
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 12:48am
Veteran College Umpire

I've got a dark maroon shirt that was custom made for a tournament I did in Venezuela last year - it's covered with sponsorship patches and actually looks kind of cool. It makes a great golf shirt, and looks like something a NASCAR driver would wear!

JJ
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 12:55am

I was always partial to the Cream w/Black trim. Very cool and comfortable for here in this desert climate.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

There are plenty of "independant" leagues around here with no specific uniform requirements. It's kind of nice to mix it up once in awhile, especially in an area where our FED ball is strictly navy blue or nothing at all.

Doing softball, too, powder blue gets thrown into the mix a lot. I love the look of black shirts and also like the cream. Red, I'm not so hot on, but usually throw one in the car "just in case". NSA softball has an official shirt that is white, with black trim and logos and they are a little bit cooler on a hot day- but look like crap after a dusty game!

Heck, I'll even break out an Elbeco once in awhile if I'm working solo on a cool day- really throws 'em a curve in an old-school kind of way.

Chocolate...I would be hesitant- if for no other reason than you would be giving ammunition to coaches to now say not only are are the calls you're making sh**, but you look like sh**, too!
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I was kind of fond of John Muller's pink shirt that he wore for breast cancer awareness. I suspect it's difficult for a coach to go ballistic on a man wearing a pink polo shirt............

Tim.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I was kind of fond of John Muller's pink shirt that he wore for breast cancer awareness. I suspect it's difficult for a coach to go ballistic on a man wearing a pink polo shirt............

Tim.
Heh, heh, heh! Here in my little corner of New England, you wouldn't even get on the field with a pink shirt, Tim!
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 11:30am
Veteran College Umpire

Maybe Angel just accidently washed his cream shirt with his dirty brown socks...

JJ
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

There are lots of colors, browns included, that don't go with gray pants. Think of it this way: If you're wearing a gray suit, are you wearing any shade of brown shirt/tie? No, not unless your only taste is in your mouth.

Me, I like the maroon shirt, and the old +POS silver. The OC gray is okay, but not quite the same, contrasting shade.

For the those the dismiss the non-traditional, think about this. If the light blue shirt weren't already part of the MLB wardrobe, would you wear it?
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 01:33pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I have the red, which I really like at first, but I couldn't see myself wearing it ever again...my new favorite is the light blue/black collar and black.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=canadaump6;538733]What kinds of colours have you heard of, and is there an unconventional colour of shirt that you like to wear? Pictures of various shirts are always a bonus. JM showed us pictures of pink shirts and I thought they looked very sharp. Officials Choice sells chocolate:

Unless you are wearing peanut butter slacks, that chocolate shirt should never see the light of day.

I only wear the red during Independece day tournaments...Other than that it's cream and delta blue..
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas View Post
MLB guys for a couple years (2003 for sure) wore a color that was in between cream and that chocolate. It was kind of a tan. I haven't seen it since then but I remember Angel Hernandez wearing it in the World Series.

The infamous "Sage Gray" uniform color.

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=&Sub=&Item=485

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=bos
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I like the look of the grey. I wonder what colour undershirt would go with it.

A lot of people don't like the idea of a chocolate shirt, but I don't mind the idea of wearing one. I still wouldn't buy one from officials choice because their stuff is sh1t anyways.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6 View Post
because their stuff is sh1t anyways.
Reference and / or examples, please. Otherwise, it's just unsupported slander.

FWIW, I purchased several shirts from them about 5 years ago. I didn't like them. For one thing, I got two different styles of material in the same order. For another, the collars on all the shirts were not symetrical and weren't cut right.

After hearing good things about the current batch of shirts, though, I decided to try them agian -- and I like the shirts (but they do run large). Someone pointed out to me that the white stripes on the black shirt are "thicker" than they are on shirts from different vendors.

I will also point out that I've had difficulty with their customer service (others ahve raved about it) -- once, I ordered three shirts, and they charged my credit card, and sent a "your order has been shipped" email After about a week, I got a notice that the shirts were on back-order. When I inquired as to why my card had been charged, I received a reply that the order would be free -- it was, but only for one shirt. I still needed the other two shirts, so I had to re-order. Yes, I came out slightly ahead, but it was still a hassle.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 08:42am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:

A lot of people don't like the idea of a chocolate shirt, but I don't mind the idea of wearing one. I still wouldn't buy one from officials choice because their stuff is sh1t anyways.
maybe black...I like the gray shirt..it looks okay with the darker gray pro slacks...
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Well, the "chocolate" would be useful if I pooped on my shirt or if I liked chocolate bars and failed to find my mouth.