The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   ?? Save me ?? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/48609-save-me.html)

btdt Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:59pm

?? Save me ??

This happened to me, what do you think is the correct answer?

runner over slides second, is fully stretched out but is still touching base with the tip of his finger.
He can't get up or move without coming off the base, he asks for time
Do you give it to him and save him?
Why
Why not
Any rule references?

UmpJM Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:11am

btdt,

Where is the ball?

JM

rei Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:26am

If no other playing action is going on, and the fielder is just sitting there with the ball waiting to tag him, call time and let him get up. It is the only right thing to do.

waltjp Thu Sep 11, 2008 06:36am

Hmmm

This is a tough one. Is this a day or night game? Does the field have lights? What inning is it? If I let them stay there long enough it might get dark and we can call the game.

But seriously, if the base runner can't figure out how to get back on base without losing contact with the base he probably deserves to be called out - but I'd grant time.

mbyron Thu Sep 11, 2008 06:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp
But seriously, if the base runner can't figure out how to get back on base without losing contact with the base he probably deserves to be called out - but I'd grant time.

Good call, walt. Call it based on whether he's out, not what he deserves. This runner is not out.

waltjp Thu Sep 11, 2008 07:37am

I had a play similar to this a couple of years ago. Runner makes a wide slide into second base, avoiding the tag and just holding onto the back of the bag with his fingers. I see all the action and signal safe.

Almost at the same instant as I'm finishing my signal the runner decides he needs to stand up so he removes his hand from the bag and uses them to push himself up off the ground. F4 is standing right there and casually tags him.

I dropped my safe sign and came up with a big, "Now he's out!" The runner gets up and heads for his dugout on the 3b side as his manager just looks at him with outstretched hands and a look of disbelief on his face.

griff901c Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rei
If no other playing action is going on, and the fielder is just sitting there with the ball waiting to tag him, call time and let him get up. It is the only right thing to do.

I'll say "let him up" at which time fielder should throw ball back to the pitcher. What has happened is I basically have "time" without calling time.

If the runner had called for time...he gets it....

griff

umpduck11 Thu Sep 11, 2008 01:49pm

If I have a standoff, such as on a pick-off attempt, after everything stops, I'll tell the fielder to put the ball back on the mound. No call of time, nobody thinks they can walk around and slow the pace of the game. Of course, in big-boy ball, I rarely see this.

DG Thu Sep 11, 2008 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
btdt,

Where is the ball?

JM

Good question. If fielder is standing over him with the ball I do not call time, but wait. If it becomes standoff I call time.

btdt Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:42pm

sorry I forgot an important part

the infielder has the ball in him mitt touching the runner

UmpJM Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:46pm

btdt,

After about 2 seconds, I would grant the runner's request for "Time".

JM