The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I am having a problem with my field mechanics when calling the small field. I find that if I position myself up on the grass as I would on the large field I can get in good position, but I risk taking a line drive in the teeth. If I position myself on the dirt I am dodging baserunners and frequently am not in good position to make the call.

Any suggestions?
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Your problems are two-fold here. First on the small diamond you have the responsibility of watching for runners leaving early. By being inside it is impossible for you to see the pitch and see a runner leave early from 2nd base. That is the reason we position ourselves on the outside of the infield.
Your mechanics might be to blame. The mechanics that I have been trained with allow for the baserunners to pass in front of you so that there are no collisions. If you are in the "C" position you must be coming in too close to the baseline between 2nd and 3rd base when you are getting in position for the call at 1st base. Remember that angle is alot more important than distance. It is better to take a couple of steps in and get set to make your call than to try to get closer to cut down the distance. I hope this helps.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by ump.ltd
First on the small diamond you have the responsibility of watching for runners leaving early.
The poster did not specify, but some leagues do allow leading-off on the small diamond. For example, PONY has some divisions that do allow leading. Umpires in those leagues are instructed to work inside the small diamond, just like a 90-footer.

Old Tue May 07, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I spent some time with Carl Childress' book today on field mechanics and he recommends staying out of the infield unless the ball is hit out of the infield. That by itself should save me a lot of headaches.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 07:23am
Michael Taylor

I'll try this again. Send me a private email and I can send you a PPT presentation on 60 ft mechanics.
[email protected]