The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   LLWS Final (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/47721-llws-final.html)

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 24, 2008 02:35pm

LLWS Final

This should be a fun game. Carl Ravich just said that the "kids from Hawaii are playing for a Little League a thousand miles away."

I always thought it was much farther from Pennsylvania to Hawaii :rolleyes: .

umpduck11 Sun Aug 24, 2008 04:16pm

I glanced at the consolation game earlier, and I'd swear the PU was wearing a brown belt. Someone please tell me it was my imagination.

David B Sun Aug 24, 2008 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
This should be a fun game. Carl Ravich just said that the "kids from Hawaii are playing for a Little League a thousand miles away."

Yeah and Brent (every play is the most dramatic in the whole game) Musburger. Its' a LL baseball game!

But my son's watching, its a good game so far - just not much pitching.

Thanks
David

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 24, 2008 04:35pm

Has anyone noticed the commercial or have played the Wii game, "Little League World Series?"

In the commercial, it shows the runner sliding head first into third base with a triple. Then it cuts to the game player dusting himself off as if it were really him that slid into third.

My question is: Why do they have a head first slide feature in this game? Head first slides are illegal in Little League baseball. What's the deal?

Just something that made me go, "hmmmmmm." :)

justanotherblue Sun Aug 24, 2008 05:18pm

Same reason why they don't lead off and steal... it's little league baseball. The only youth league that doesn't play 70' bases, lead off and steal.

JRutledge Sun Aug 24, 2008 05:30pm

Quote:

Has anyone noticed the commercial or have played the Wii game, "Little League World Series?"

In the commercial, it shows the runner sliding head first into third base with a triple. Then it cuts to the game player dusting himself off as if it were really him that slid into third.

My question is: Why do they have a head first slide feature in this game? Head first slides are illegal in Little League baseball. What's the deal?

Just something that made me go, "hmmmmmm." :)

Because the video programmers often do not know the sport they are replicating.

Peace

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 24, 2008 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Because the video programmers often do not know the sport they are replicating.

They are likely taking direction from consultants/managers about what to program. I doubt if the programmers are the actual persons verifying for game-play accuracy.

Rich Ives Sun Aug 24, 2008 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Same reason why they don't lead off and steal... it's little league baseball. The only youth league that doesn't play 70' bases, lead off and steal.

Ripken is mostly 60' "LL" style. They just started up a 70' division within the last year or so. The only Ripken league in out area plays 60'.

Dixie is mostly 60' "LL" style. Their O-Zone 70' division just started this year.

All the non-affiliated youth leagues around here play 60' "LL" style.

kylejt Sun Aug 24, 2008 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpduck11
I glanced at the consolation game earlier, and I'd swear the PU was wearing a brown belt. Someone please tell me it was my imagination.

I know the guy who worked that game, and he's was wearing a black patent leather belt. He's about as well dressed as umpires get.

JRutledge Sun Aug 24, 2008 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
They are likely taking direction from consultants/managers about what to program. I doubt if the programmers are the actual persons verifying for game-play accuracy.

That might be true. But having been a sport video game player for years, and noticing how many basic rules are left out, this would just add to the list of many. And considering that this was the first game with the LL license, I am not surprised that something like this gets over looked. And keep in mind that what is often shown as game play on commercials is not the actual game being played. It is also possible that what was done for the commercial does not accurately represent what is actually in the game. That is just a hunch.

Peace

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 24, 2008 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue

I really don't think you understood the question.

umpduck11 Sun Aug 24, 2008 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt
I know the guy who worked that game, and he's was wearing a black patent leather belt. He's about as well dressed as umpires get.

Good. Maybe it was the way the field was sun-lit. Thanks for the answer.

Chuck

Rcichon Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:23am

New Umpiring Venue

Quote:

I really don't think you understood the question.

Maybe leaving an opening for video umpiring! Steve, since you cannot 'get out there' right now, maybe this is just the opening to get you back in: the software writers need a 'video umpire'!

:D;):D

Nigel Tufnel Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32am

Quote:

I think ESPN will learn alot from their first shot at full coverage of this tournament...

Steve- I don't think we will ever learn the "east coast" philosophy unless we spend some severe time back there...but it must seem the Olympics were a thousand miles away as well:rolleyes:

Klokard Tue Aug 26, 2008 01:15am

The PU for the LLWS Consi game was Mark Bernstein from California District 31 down in North San Diego. I give you my word as a gentelman and fellow ump that he was NOT wearing a brown belt. I have watched him work post season play at different levels and can tell you that he was properly attired. He is one of Western Regions top umpires. I was proud of the job he did. I just wish he wasn't left handed so he can get away from the left handed punch out on called 3rd strikes. LOL!! Great job Mark.