The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I have had this called against my team bothways, therefore I have two questions:

1. In both situations the runners left thinking the ball was in for a basehit and took off without any effort to Tag UP. Obviously with the realitive wording, "If a runner leaves a base too soon on a caught fly ball...." the question becomes: Does the runner have to show an effort of tagging up before the "time play" portion goes into effect, allowing a run to score even if it is the third out? The corollary, the fact he left at all implies he left too soon?

One up allowed the run to score, the other said it was the third out.

2. My second question, does this rule apply in NCAA rules as well as American League and National League.

Appreciate your support.
Al McCormick
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al McCormick
I have had this called against my team bothways, therefore I have two questions:

1. In both situations the runners left thinking the ball was in for a basehit and took off without any effort to Tag UP. Obviously with the realitive wording, "If a runner leaves a base too soon on a caught fly ball...." the question becomes: Does the runner have to show an effort of tagging up before the "time play" portion goes into effect, allowing a run to score even if it is the third out? The corollary, the fact he left at all implies he left too soon?

One up allowed the run to score, the other said it was the third out.

2. My second question, does this rule apply in NCAA rules as well as American League and National League.

Appreciate your support.
Al McCormick
I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but an appeal out (as in the runner leaving too soon on a caught fly) is a time-play. If the (third) out occurs before the run crosses the plate, the run doesn't count. If the runner crosses the plate first, the run counts.

And, to be clear, the "time" of the out is the time when the defense tags the base or the runner, not the time when the runner left the base.

This rule (the timing issue) is the same in all codes (the methods of getting an appeal out vary in FED).
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Live Appeal Play

I appreciate your help. In both cases the runner scored before the ball was caught at the base being appealed, therefore the run should have counted both times. One ump ended the inning saying the run did not count and in another game, they allowed the run to score.

After reading the rule I agree with you, I was just checking to see if there had to be a true "act of tagging up" or not. Based upon what you are saying, the answer is no.

Thanks for your quick response.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Live Appeal Play

Quote:
Originally posted by Al McCormick
I appreciate your help. In both cases the runner scored before the ball was caught at the base being appealed, therefore the run should have counted both times. One ump ended the inning saying the run did not count and in another game, they allowed the run to score.

After reading the rule I agree with you, I was just checking to see if there had to be a true "act of tagging up" or not. Based upon what you are saying, the answer is no.

Thanks for your quick response.
I'm guessing that the ump that did not allow the run to score thought the out was a "force out" since only the base need be tagged. The ump was wrong. IT's a common misconception.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Al:

Your scenario is very confusing. You left out some vital information. Was the runner who scored the one who was appealed for leaving too soon? If so, he's the third out, so no score. It's the same in all books.

Bob
Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Live Appeal Play

Apologize for that. The runners that were appealed were from first on one occasion and second on the other. The runner from third tagged up in both situations.

I appreciate both yours and Bob Jenkins guidance.

Al McCormick