The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Here is the situation...two outs, R1 on 3B, 3-2 count on the batter. The pitch comes across the plate, the batter check swings, and the pitch gets past the catcher. The runner crosses the plate, the PU appeals to the BU asking if the batter went, and the BU confirmed that the batter went, then the batter-runner takes off for 1st. The catcher finally finds the ball and throws to 1st to get the out, and then the coach comes out to ask if the run counts. the umpires said that the run did not count - end of game. I watched this and said that the ruling was not right.

Here is why I asked - the guy making the call is the top offical in our association, so no one really qusetioned him. This was a big game in the league, top two teams in the league and the run coming in was the potential tying run. I want to talk to him about it, but he can be a little unapproachable when questioning his calls. Here are the two questions:

1.) Am I right or is he?
2.) Is there a rule quote that I can use to resolve the issue?

Thanks for the help.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

NO!!!

When the third strike was not caught, the batter IMMEDIATELY became a runner. At that point, the runner from third had not scored; in other words, he was still technically on third base.

No run can score when the third out is the batter-runner does not reach first base safely.

The rules references are easy to find - browse the book -- it's good practice,

The "big dog" in your Association was right!