The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 13, 2002, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

We don't very often have 2 base umps- but we did today for our opening day games. With bases empty, umps on the lines, who takes the batter-runner to second on a hit to the outfield? I'm thinking the first base ump would do his normal come inside, buttonhook move, follow runner to 2, as he would if he were the only base ump.

Just want to clarify, as a play happened where both guys thought the other was covering, and sure enough, a banger at second, which the late reacting 1st base ump luckily made the right call. We talked about it after the game, (I'm the UIC for our league, so I was just observing this one) and obviously an adequate pregame didn't happen, but I want to make sure of the proper mechanic so I can follow up on this.

Phil
Old Sat Apr 13, 2002, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Well, since the base ump did not go out on the catch/no catch call, I would assume he would stay with runner into second and the plate ump would make the catch/no catch call.

If the base ump did go out, then the plate ump would have the runner going into second. Did the base ump possibly go out, then come back in to make call at second? This could have caused the confusion as well as no good pre-game.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Phillycheese is talking about 2 base umps, i.e. 3-man crew, Little League, 60-foot diamond. Good to hear your question, as most readers on this BB are doing 90 foot bases, HS and higher.

3-man mechanics on 60’ diamond is easy, and great place to start out new volunteers on low-level games. The new volunteer gets the confidence and help they need form the other slightly more experienced umps. Worst place for a new volunteer ump is to leave them all alone behind the plate of a minor league game. Every player’s mom and dad know every “rule” and how bad your eyesight is when their kid is involved. The best place for that parent is off their butt and on the field. I digress.

Regarding your question, until you get to state and regional level, the Plate ump is going to take all catches in the outfield and base umps have the runners. On a hit to the outfield 1st base ump heads into the infield between 1st and the mound 10+ feet inside of 1st, watches the batter runner (little Billy) to 1st base, and looks for obstruction by F3 (common). He continues to watch batter-runner if he goes toward 2nd base, and he is also checks his partner comming in from 3rd base.

Simultaneously, 3rd base ump should (don’t count on it) have entered the infield and headed for a modified “C” position, closer to 2nd base. He makes visual contact w/ 1st base ump and gets set to make the call at 2nd. 1st base ump stays at 1st base (temporarily). Both watch for obstruction, and prepare for the 12-throw run down. 3rd base ump stays at 2nd, unless the next paragraph doesn’t happen, in which case he tries to see if he can still keep up with a 12 year old.

Simultaneously, plate ump watched the batter out of the box, judged how badly little Billy threw his bat, made the no-catch signal from 6’ in front home plate and then headed down the 3rd base line toward 3rd. Depending on the number of errors / overthrows he may be busy soon. He should be 10’ inside of 3rd base and communicating with the 3rd base umpire (who stays at 2nd); “I’ve got 3 if he goes.” He is watching the throws and waiting for the ball to enter dead ball area because he wants to know exactly where Billy is at the time of that overthrow (Billy’s coach-dad thinks he knows).

After Billy passes 2nd base, 1st base ump keeps the play in front of him as he heads toward home plate. He communicates w/ Plate ump (now at 3rd) “I’ve got home if he goes.” Billy’s mom knows Billy will be heading home because Billy never stops, sometimes even when he is out. He gets a lot of 3-plus error home runs.

Sounds complicated, but it is very easy. 1st base ump stays at 1st; all others rotate clockwise to fill the empty base. No ump has to move more than 60 feet. They should all be there well ahead of the next missed tag or error.

I’m serious about getting those moms and dads onto the field. All umps feel the importance of being there, they work as a team, and Billy’s mom has to keep her mouth shout.

Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, great stuff Blue Ghost, probly a little more information than I could digest in one reading,
Thanks for the info. I have watched 3-man crews rotate clockwise in AAA games(Tacoma Rainiers- I don't watch the players as much anymore as I watch the men in the other uniforms!!) Wasn't sure how it worked on the little diamond. Guess it makes sense it would work the same.