The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, you are close

It is $600 not $400. Also if you receive more than $600 from one outfit for services (like a school for example) they have to file a Form 1099.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
All income is taxable for Federal Income taxes.

There is a threshold for self-employment taxes (SS, Medicare), which is $400 net income (at least that's what it was recently).
Got it, that's probably what I was thinking of. Thanks!
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Now, here's my real beef. Why is anyone whining about this? Why are people lining up to do these games, and then complaining about the process to get there? It is what it is. I mean, PAID umpires are in such short supply, and some of you are complaining about being shut out of volunteering for LL games. STFU!

The "whining" comes from people who are trying to figure out how a big time organization can sell itself as an above board no hokey-pork volunteer umpire group while receiving gift cards ..some amounting to enough to trade-in (right) for Sea Kayaks and all associated gear, but can still work "big post season games ie:district and above. While others who opt for cash..like the guy who wants a second job for pocket money..is trying to help an organization and himself, gets pissed-on.

And before I get ripped for being bitter...I don't do LL for reasons too many to list here.

Just don't pass oneself off as a volunteer with a backdoor compensation package that doesn't get 1099'd as taking the high ground.

Flame on.....

to R. Patrino....you know that about every 200 or so LL thread I gotta chime in !Oh how I don't miss those days.... Can't help it my friend

griff

Last edited by griff901c; Sat Jul 12, 2008 at 02:29pm. Reason: content
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
Every year since Jesus played in the first LL world series, (his team of course won), the LL organization has cared more about one thing, than the umps getting paid, their own image, who wins or loses, what is or is not compensation and the good of the sport, and that is, how much revenue they bring from TV.

If you believe otherwise, I got some good land in Florda for a cheap price, just waiting for you to buy.

..and when you finish buying that land, you can make another trip to CDP
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleump
Mrumpire
I'm 49 ,but probably not an adult by your standards. Who may ask is the "we" in the "we get it"?As for whinning you're right about that. I think in a forum it goes on .So get over it!
My conclusion is you dont want to hear it as it is in our district and all of LL.
The solution to the problem is to walk away from these guys and turn my back on them. I think they did know better. I guess I felt sorry for them because the other ones took gift certificates,which to me sounded as bad.
So will join the gift certificate group and try to get to the big table!!!!NOT!!!!!

My conclusion is, this issue greatly troubles you, and it is a valid position. However, you damage your case through continued ranting on the same point, accusing others of hidden motives, and general peevishness caused by the forum's apparent unwillingness to take the Banner of Nole's Truth and storm the battlements with you.

Good luck, Don (Quixote)
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Lman
You are very perceptive and Don is my real name. almost scary!!!! Nobody will be on my side .I'm used to it . Sorry if the ranting disturbed you.I'm over it now.May I return to my padded cell?
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
It is $600 not $400. Also if you receive more than $600 from one outfit for services (like a school for example) they have to file a Form 1099.
Rich is actually correct. The self-employment tax (FICA/SS) only has to be paid if you make over $400. The income tax (Fed. Withholding on a paycheck) is charged on everything you earn.

You are, however, correct, on the $600 single payer 1099 requirement.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleump
Lman
You are very perceptive and Don is my real name. almost scary!!!! Nobody will be on my side .I'm used to it . Sorry if the ranting disturbed you.I'm over it now.May I return to my padded cell?
Don't misunderstand, I sympathize with your position. But personal attacks on anyone who may dare to offer another POV is counterproductive.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
But personal attacks on anyone who may dare to offer another POV is counterproductive.
I disagree. Oh, and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise, LMan.............

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I think that W-port should quietly drop the policy about paid umpires. Don't ask, don't tell.

Continue to have unpaid umps at Regionals and WS, fine. That's all the general populace and media care about--if they even give a thought to it.

Give me an arbiter who has experience with HS, Legion, BRuth, etc. (with a sub-specialty in LL) over the chap who does solely volunteer LL any day of the week.

I can already feel the flames.

Ace in CT
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
You go Griff!! We have been down the road a few times ourselves, have we not?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran

Give me an arbiter who has experience with HS, Legion, BRuth, etc. (with a sub-specialty in LL) over the chap who does solely volunteer LL any day of the week.
Well, sure, but what if that arbiter had been paid with IHOP coupons?
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
And he says IHOP like its a 'bad' thing...sheeze.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
IHOP ? Is that where one-legged waitresses (or servers, if you prefer) work ?
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
IHOP ? Is that where one-legged waitresses (or servers, if you prefer) work ?
You're thinking of Eileen over at the drive-thru. Or else Irene at the Japanese place.