The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 208
Jon Miller on Minor League Umpires

After Rob Drake ejected Piniella on Sunday Night Baseball, Miller just had to mention that Drake and Fairchild are minor league umpires called up etc.

In the last 4 years Drake has umpired more games in the majors than any other major league umpire.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/D/Pdrakr901.htm
__________________
A Double Bonus is not really double.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:46pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant
After Rob Drake ejected Piniella on Sunday Night Baseball, Miller just had to mention that Drake and Fairchild are minor league umpires called up etc.

In the last 4 years Drake has umpired more games in the majors than any other major league umpire.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/D/Pdrakr901.htm
Something messed up with a system where a guy who has worked almost 1000 (and will hit 1000 this season, probably) games isn't considered full-time.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:17pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
Jon Miller is a myopic San Francisco Giant homer who pretends he knows a lot. He probably had that statistic given to him from the truck into his headset.
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:53pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Jon Miller is a myopic San Francisco Giant homer who pretends he knows a lot. He probably had that statistic given to him from the truck into his headset.
What the heck does that have to do with this post? I mean the San Francisco Giants homer part.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 11:34pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What the heck does that have to do with this post? I mean the San Francisco Giants homer part.
Nothing. Just an observation and a factoid.
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bend, In.
Posts: 2,192
Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Nothing. Just an observation and a factoid.
From a *HUGE* Padres fan.......................

I always say the same thing about Hawk Harrelson. Anytime (and it's often) he says something stupid, it's because he's a Sox homer.


Tim.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Jon Miller is a myopic San Francisco Giant homer who pretends he knows a lot. He probably had that statistic given to him from the truck into his headset.
That is what producers are for, to supply information when the situation warrants it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 179
More interesting to me than Millers team loyalties and Drakes employment status is this whole ejection process.
Pinnella came out to talk/yell at Fairchild, doesn't look like he said a word to Drake.
Fairchild put up the stop sign and Pinnella obeyed, Pinnella is walking back to dugout when Drake gave him the heave ho.

Why would Drake step in on Fairchild's battle?
I'm not questioning whether Pinnella should or shouldn't have been ejected, just wondering why it was Drake that did it.
Fairchild is a big boy, why did Drake need to step on him like that?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 267
My question is, why would MLB assign two minor league umpires to the same game? I realize that Drake logs as many or more MLB games as a full-time ump, but common sense says that you spread out the "part-timers" amongst several crews so that they have the "full-timers" to help them out.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
More interesting to me than Millers team loyalties and Drakes employment status is this whole ejection process.
Pinnella came out to talk/yell at Fairchild, doesn't look like he said a word to Drake.
Fairchild put up the stop sign and Pinnella obeyed, Pinnella is walking back to dugout when Drake gave him the heave ho.

Why would Drake step in on Fairchild's battle?
I'm not questioning whether Pinnella should or shouldn't have been ejected, just wondering why it was Drake that did it.
Because Fairchild didn't.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail
My question is, why would MLB assign two minor league umpires to the same game? I realize that Drake logs as many or more MLB games as a full-time ump, but common sense says that you spread out the "part-timers" amongst several crews so that they have the "full-timers" to help them out.
Why does it matter? If MLB thinks you're qualified to work MLB games, you can do it no matter what. Are you saying if Tim Welke (or any other "full-timer") was at first base there's no way that situation happens? Piniella's a rat, always has been, and I'm sure Rob and Chad can both defend their actions well.
__________________
Throwing people out of a game is like riding a bike- once you get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun.- Ron Luciano
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Frankfort IL
Posts: 61
I just think it was chicken s**t to heave him with his backed turned. Be a man and at least wait for him to turn around and look in his eyes when you dump him.
__________________
"Youth sports is not for the youth"
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
Why does it matter? If MLB thinks you're qualified to work MLB games, you can do it no matter what. Are you saying if Tim Welke (or any other "full-timer") was at first base there's no way that situation happens? Piniella's a rat, always has been, and I'm sure Rob and Chad can both defend their actions well.
I'm not saying that at all. The same situation could have occurred with anyone on the game.

What I'm saying is, why not mix in the so-called "lesser umps" with the "more experienced" umps. It's makes sense as a means of mentoring the up and comers.

If you were scheduling 2 varsity HS games with 2-man crews, would it make sense to put 2 up and coming umps on the same game, and 2 veterans on the other game? It might work out that way, but it makes more sense to pair 1 vet with 1 new guy, and the other vet with the other new guy.

Baseball had 15 games yesterday. Surely they could spread out the "minor" umps throughout baseball, instead of putting them together.

Would the outcome have been different? Probably not. Should Lou have been tossed? Absolutely. Should it come from the guy behind his back, that he isn't talking to? I've seen some say yes, but personally, I want to take care of my own business, and if I don't choose to lower the boom, I should live with the consequences.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NY state
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail
I'm not saying that at all. The same situation could have occurred with anyone on the game.

What I'm saying is, why not mix in the so-called "lesser umps" with the "more experienced" umps. It's makes sense as a means of mentoring the up and comers.

If you were scheduling 2 varsity HS games with 2-man crews, would it make sense to put 2 up and coming umps on the same game, and 2 veterans on the other game? It might work out that way, but it makes more sense to pair 1 vet with 1 new guy, and the other vet with the other new guy.

Baseball had 15 games yesterday. Surely they could spread out the "minor" umps throughout baseball, instead of putting them together.

Would the outcome have been different? Probably not. Should Lou have been tossed? Absolutely. Should it come from the guy behind his back, that he isn't talking to? I've seen some say yes, but personally, I want to take care of my own business, and if I don't choose to lower the boom, I should live with the consequences.
You don't seem to understand the "fill-in" situation. Some of these Minor Leaguers you refer to as "lesser umpires" have been working MLB games for ten years or longer. Guccione, a "lesser umpire" to you, worked the most plate games of ANY umpire in MLB last season.

Only by the stubborness and cheapness of MLB management are they still fill-ins and not full time contracted MLB umpires.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 01, 2008, 12:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 60
Send a message via AIM to goyanksgonj Send a message via Yahoo to goyanksgonj
Injuries, vacations, etc. happen. That's the bottom line.

Without the benefit of full-time employment by MLB, these MiLB guys just do whatever the heck they have to, in order to try and get to the aforementioned level.

The whole '99 situation certainly screwed some of these guys over, no doubt about it. I can only suppose several spots would've opened up from guys that were let go (and not subsequently re-hired) from that nasty situation.
__________________
Steven
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor league baseball your boss Baseball 37 Tue May 16, 2006 01:50am
Minor League umpires to end season-long strike CJN Baseball 0 Fri Apr 28, 2006 09:46pm
Association of Minor League Umpires Carl Childress Baseball 47 Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:28pm
Why be in the Minor league Union to begin with PeteBooth Baseball 5 Fri Apr 07, 2006 02:55am
MLB (Minor League Baseball) IRISHMAFIA Softball 5 Mon Jul 04, 2005 09:02am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1