The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   body position for Position B and C (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/45792-body-position-position-b-c.html)

tibear Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:31am

body position for Position B and C

Just wondering what everyone does with regards to their body position when in position B and C.

I've been told by a couple of evaluators to do different things. (Kind of tells you right there that there is no "right" position.)

The two different positions I've been told are:
1) Alway face the plate.
2) face 3rd base dugout when in B and 1st base dugout when in C

As well, when do you check for runners stealing. Do you cheat and look as the pitcher is throwing? Do you listen for footsteps or defense yelling? Do you simply wait for the catcher or pitcher to begin a throwing motion to a base before starting to get into position to make your call on a stolen base or pickoff?

LakeErieUmp Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:37am

Plan A is to steal the third base coach's signals. Lacking that, I've tried to not cheat and just wait for a throw. As someone said once (or a few million times) there's no play without the ball.

eagle_12 Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:39am

When in "B" with runner on first. I'm facing pitcher with my left foot barely dropped back towards baseline. My chest isn't really facing the pitcher or the batter but rather the distant space between the two. In "B" two outs runner on third, my chest points to the back of the pitcher.

In "C" My left foot is dropped slightly again with my chest pointing more towards the pitcher rather than the batter.

tibear Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Plan A is to steal the third base coach's signals. Lacking that, I've tried to not cheat and just wait for a throw. As someone said once (or a few million times) there's no play without the ball.

I've seen a couple of umpires get into trouble watching coaches give signs, only to find out that there is a pickoff going on that they aren't even aware of. Everyone is looking at the BU waiting for his call and he sort of stands there with a glassy eyed look and usually a weak safe call. :)

Emperor Ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:45am

In both B & C I'm square to the plate. I find it helps my mechanics of stepping in (towards the 45') then "opening the gate" to get the best angle.

I tried not being square and it cheated me from getting the better angle.

As for stealing, I listen for the foot steps and the defense yelling, but keep my eye on the ball.

UmpTTS43 Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:57am

Body square to plate at all times. Once you see the pitcher commited to the plate, take a peak at the runner. When in C, just a quick glance over your right shoulder. When in B, just a quick glance to your left.

UmpJM Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:06am

As Emperor Ump and UMPTTS43 suggest, always "square to the plate".

When in "C", I was taught to do a quick "shoulder check" on the R2 when the pitcher commits to pitch. I find I rarely do this in actual practice.

I stay square to the plate until the ball reaches the catcher or hits the bat (or batter).

When I see the pitcher or the catcher begin an attempt to throw out a runner, I keep my eyes on the player with the ball and start moving into position to make the call, and let the throw "turn me" towards the play.

JM

David B Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibear
I've seen a couple of umpires get into trouble watching coaches give signs, only to find out that there is a pickoff going on that they aren't even aware of. Everyone is looking at the BU waiting for his call and he sort of stands there with a glassy eyed look and usually a weak safe call. :)

That would be true, but only with an idiot baserunner. A baserunner takes his signs while on the base so that's really should not be too much of an issue.

I like to try and figure out the signs just for fun, especially in a low key game.
Now in a big game, I'm all eyes, watching the F1.

As far as steals, I would say experience is the key, and since I don't do "small ball" anymore, the players will help you. Either F3 or F4 or F6 will say "he's going". Then you will hear the footsteps etc.,

That allows you to keep your eyes focused on F1 for the potential balk.

Even if you were to get fooled, you are in great position to see the play at either 3rd or 2nd so its' not that huge of a problem.

Thanks
David

shickenbottom Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:12am

1) Face the plate in either B or C. Legs a bit over shoulder width apart, comfortable. It is easier to react to a batted ball right at you by going either forward left or forward right with your body directly facing this situation, than being squared to a baseline.

2) Pitcher not on rubber, relaxed standing. Watch pitcher for illegal action, listen for runner / fielders getting position.

3) Pitcher toes rubber and goes to look in to get sign. Drop into Hands on knees set, watch pitcher, glance / listen for runners.

4) As Pitcher is comming set, shift weight slightly forward onto balls of feet, this gets you ready to react to batted ball, or pickoff at bases.

5a) In B with R1, as pitcher begins motion to pitch, get a quick glance (shift of eyes to R1 to see if he's going, shift eyes back to home plate and watch action at home.

5b) In C with R2, as pitcher begins motion, swivel head to glance at R2 and see what he's doing, if going, begin to step toward 45 on 3rd base line and swivel head back to home to watch action. If R2 is not going, swivel head back and watch action at home.

bob jenkins Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:34am

"B" and "C", I'm facing the plate.

Deep "B" and Deep "C", I'm more parallel to the baseline / grassline.

PeteBooth Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:19am

Quote:

Quote:

Just wondering what everyone does with regards to their body position when in position B and C.

I've been told by a couple of evaluators to do different things. (Kind of tells you right there that there is no "right" position.)

1) Alway face the plate.

As well, when do you check for runners stealing. Do you cheat and look as the pitcher is throwing? Do you listen for footsteps or defense yelling? Do you simply wait for the catcher or pitcher to begin a throwing motion to a base before starting to get into position to make your call on a stolen base or pickoff?

As others mentioned whether in "B" / "C" I face the plate. The ball will take me to where I need to be. Also, IMO, it could be very detrimental to face first / third because you might get hit with the ball if you are not careful.

I do not listen for footsteps, care about what signals are given etc. As mentioned keep my eye on the ball as ultimately that will take me to where I need to be. Also, if you are facing first / third you could miss a balk call.

Pete Booth

etn_ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shickenbottom
1) Face the plate in either B or C. Legs a bit over shoulder width apart, comfortable. It is easier to react to a batted ball right at you by going either forward left or forward right with your body directly facing this situation, than being squared to a baseline.

2) Pitcher not on rubber, relaxed standing. Watch pitcher for illegal action, listen for runner / fielders getting position.

3) Pitcher toes rubber and goes to look in to get sign. Drop into Hands on knees set, watch pitcher, glance / listen for runners.

4) As Pitcher is comming set, shift weight slightly forward onto balls of feet, this gets you ready to react to batted ball, or pickoff at bases.

5a) In B with R1, as pitcher begins motion to pitch, get a quick glance (shift of eyes to R1 to see if he's going, shift eyes back to home plate and watch action at home.

5b) In C with R2, as pitcher begins motion, swivel head to glance at R2 and see what he's doing, if going, begin to step toward 45 on 3rd base line and swivel head back to home to watch action. If R2 is not going, swivel head back and watch action at home.

5a and 5b...never, NEVER do this!

Watch the ball, nothing happens that is of concern to you without the ball.

UmpJM Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:35am

etn_ump,

FYI, from the PBUC "Red Book":

Quote:

...Also, with a runner on 2B, it is an optional mechanic for the base umpire to take a quick glance over his right shoulder the moment the pitcher commits his delivery to the plate. ...This is an optional mechanic and is not required but is permissible.
JM

mbyron Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
"B" and "C", I'm facing the plate.

Deep "B" and Deep "C", I'm more parallel to the baseline / grassline.

Me too.

I don't "sneak a peek" at R2 much. I find that I have sufficient time to get my angle on 3B based on what I hear and see.

shickenbottom Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by etn_ump

Etn, pay attention, for the pitcher to toe the rubber, he's going to have the ball. If not, you are going to balk him (all rule codes - with the exception of being after a suspension of play - dead ball, time).

As for the quick glances, are you up to date on your mechanics? Keep you eyes everlastingly on the ball and glance at runners. By taking quick glances, you are anticipating the play possibilities and not being caught off guard.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

JRutledge Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:14am

I always face the plate. I do not take a peak at anything other than the pitcher and who has the ball. The minute I peak, I will lose a view as to what happen. I will look around if fielders are moving, but that is before the pitcher takes the rubber and usually when nothing is going on.

Peace

CO ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:50am

When I'm in B with R1 I'm chest up to the 45' line and in middle to short B.

In this position I can look 45deg. (not over my shoulder) at F1 and all the action on the mound as well as home plate and also with just a move of the head (again, without having to look over my shoulder) see the pickoff at first.
The pickoff at first sometimes can be very quick and I don't want to be moving during the tag nor do I want to be looking over my shoulder.
For me, hands on my knees, very stable and just a turn of the head in short to middle B gives me a great angle and a steady look.

UmpJM Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ump
When I'm in B with R1 I'm chest up to the 45' line and in middle to short B.

CO ump,

FYI. That would be contrary to "best practices" as described in the PBUC "red Book" and what is taught at Evans' schools.

JM

justanotherblue Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:01pm

Quote:

Damn, all that time and money spent and I was taught wrong at school.

etn_ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shickenbottom
Etn, pay attention, for the pitcher to toe the rubber, he's going to have the ball. If not, you are going to balk him (all rule codes - with the exception of being after a suspension of play - dead ball, time).

As for the quick glances, are you up to date on your mechanics? Keep you eyes everlastingly on the ball and glance at runners. By taking quick glances, you are anticipating the play possibilities and not being caught off guard.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I am paying attention.

That's why I'm not turning my head to glance at a runner I can hear if he advances. I see no reason to glance and I am seldom caught off guard.

I understand and have read the PBUC Red Book mechanics regarding glancing. I do not glance. When I am in B or C, I am closer to everyone on the field to the ball with the exception of the pitcher. I have ears. I have no reason to glance at a runner I can hear.

At my age, I am going to watch the ball. Absolutely nothing is going to happen that requires my attention without the ball.

LMan Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:44pm

It's hard to watch for a foul at the plate, hit batsman, checkswings, balks, etc if you are staring into the dugout.

CO ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
CO ump,

FYI. That would be contrary to "best practices" as described in the PBUC "red Book" and what is taught at Evans' schools.

JM

I'm certainly willing to change, it's just a practive I've evolved to.
I've never had any evaluations mention it.
I would like to know however what the cons of my approach are and the benefits of the best practices.

CO ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
It's hard to watch for a foul at the plate, hit batsman, checkswings, balks, etc if you are staring into the dugout.

IF you're referring to my post, I would encourage you to read it and comprehend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO Ump
In this position I can look 45deg. (not over my shoulder) at F1 and all the action on the mound as well as home plate and also with just a move of the head (again, without having to look over my shoulder) see the pickoff at first.

tiger49 Tue Jun 24, 2008 02:05pm

Quote:

1) Alway face the plate.

As per Baseball Canada; Use deep B or C as U3 with R1 only, otherwise regular C would apply. As U1 use Deep B while you are in, R2 or R2,R3 with less than two out. In the two umpire system I wouldn't consider using either deep B or C.

TussAgee11 Tue Jun 24, 2008 02:59pm

I don't see how the pros of checking over the shoulder at R2 outweigh the cons, especially in two man. You're not going to go to towards the 45 foot line until the pitch hits the mitt anyways, so it really does you no extra good to know that R2 is stealing (unless you are caught sleeping, which is a different story that shouldn't happen).

If you peak, you find out he's going, then stand in the same spot until the ball reaches the mitt.

If you don't peak, you don't know he's going, but find out when you hear defense yelling, see F5 moving over out of the corner of your eye, hear footsteps behind you, and even if you don't know after all that, the catcher standing up to throw should be a hint (if you've waited this long, yes, you have lost a step or two).

But, if you peak, you are compromising a check swing appeal, a foul ball off the foot, a balk (granted, not if done correctly), maybe even picking up a ball in play late because of eye movement as your head swivels back.

This all being said, if I was told to look at R2 at school, I wouldn't say boo about it. But if I was writing the Bible of Umpiring, I would say don't do it.

ODJ Tue Jun 24, 2008 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43
Body square to plate at all times. Once you see the pitcher commited to the plate, take a peak at the runner. When in C, just a quick glance over your right shoulder. When in B, just a quick glance to your left.

Correct.

ODJ Tue Jun 24, 2008 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11
I don't see how the pros of checking over the shoulder at R2 outweigh the cons, especially in two man. You're not going to go to towards the 45 foot line until the pitch hits the mitt anyways, so it really does you no extra good to know that R2 is stealing (unless you are caught sleeping, which is a different story that shouldn't happen).

If you peak, you find out he's going, then stand in the same spot until the ball reaches the mitt.

If you don't peak, you don't know he's going, but find out when you hear defense yelling, see F5 moving over out of the corner of your eye, hear footsteps behind you, and even if you don't know after all that, the catcher standing up to throw should be a hint (if you've waited this long, yes, you have lost a step or two).

But, if you peak, you are compromising a check swing appeal, a foul ball off the foot, a balk (granted, not if done correctly), maybe even picking up a ball in play late because of eye movement as your head swivels back.

Nope. You move with the runner to get the angle as the pitch is being delivered. (Keep your head to the ball just in case.):)

This all being said, if I was told to look at R2 at school, I wouldn't say boo about it. But if I was writing the Bible of Umpiring, I would say don't do it.

IF is WHEN.

Save your ink.

etn_ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ
Correct.

Well, we'll just agree to disagree.

If you're so insecure in your abilities as an umpire that you have to peak at R1 or R2, you have more serious issues.

JMHO

Rich Tue Jun 24, 2008 04:40pm

Quote:

If you're so insecure in your abilities as an umpire that you have to peak at R1 or R2, you have more serious issues.

JMHO

It's how the pro schools teach it. I've always taken a quick glance over the right shoulder with R2. Has nothing to do with my abilities as an umpire.

ODJ Tue Jun 24, 2008 04:49pm

Quote:

JMHO

I peak (Well, supposed to anyway. Nobody's perfect. :rolleyes: ) Usually someone yells runner's going or you can hear him.

JEAPU - PBUC sez peek, ya peek (at R2). I paid $4000 for that tidbit, I'm gonna get my money's worth.

I never understood why guys couldn't just step and turn toward first to see the throw, or the need to show your profile to home plate.

I don't agree to disagree. You're wrong. You can disagree if you want, but you're still wrong. That's what people say without admitting they're wrong.

As Rut says, "Peace"

etn_ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 06:42pm

Helluva tidbit for $4000.

I ain't wrong. Been doing this for 30 years, Summer World Series finals, HS State tournaments, some D2 as I've gotten older, etc.

Just because you paid some guys that work one base to tell you how to umpire don't necessarily mean they're right.

Have great games.

ozzy6900 Tue Jun 24, 2008 06:59pm

Quote:

I ain't wrong. Been doing this for 30 years, Summer World Series finals, HS State tournaments, some D2 as I've gotten older, etc.

Just because you paid some guys that work one base to tell you how to umpire don't necessarily mean they're right.

Have great games.

So why don't you enlighten all of us that work "incorrectly" (in your humble opinion), how do you do it? Please, enlighten a fellow 30 year veteran!

etn_ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 07:16pm

Pay attention Ozzy, I already did. Here, I'll copy and paste it for you.

Quote:

That's why I'm not turning my head to glance at a runner I can hear if he advances. I see no reason to glance and I am seldom caught off guard.

I understand and have read the PBUC Red Book mechanics regarding glancing. I do not glance. When I am in B or C, I am closer to everyone on the field to the ball with the exception of the pitcher. I have ears. I have no reason to glance at a runner I can hear.

At my age, I am going to watch the ball. Absolutely nothing is going to happen that requires my attention without the ball
Also, I didn't say in any of my posts that anyone was working "incorrectly", I said, don't do it (peeking) and reasons why I don't.

Pay attention.

chuckfan1 Tue Jun 24, 2008 07:33pm

Much ado...

Yeeeshhh....This has taken up multiple pages? There might be a recommended method, but like many issues in officiating, whatever works for you. If one prefers to take a quick glance at R2, so? Hopefully theyve arrived at that choice through trial and error, and find that works best for them. Or not. Doesnt make someone better than someone else, just as the ridiculous argument of using an indicator or not, makes someone better.

Slight tip that I use with R2. And it helps, me anyways. With R2, I will turn to take a look. But, instead of trying to get R2 in my sight, I turn my head slightly to the right, and pick up the area R2 would be running into, if he were going. If R2 "comes into frame", I start towards my spot for the steal of 3rd. I get that extra step, and am always set, waiting for the play. Huge difference.

If he doesnt, I stay put. If he is going "late", I move when I recognize the steal. Usually on this, R2 is toast. Ive done it enough where I got the timing down. Hey, theres that "timing" thingy...

Just my observation..works for me....your mileage may vary.

SAump Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:09pm

Stick around

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckfan1
Yeeeshhh....This has taken up multiple pages? There might be a recommended method, but like many issues in officiating, whatever works for you. If one prefers to take a quick glance at R2, so? Hopefully theyve arrived at that choice through trial and error, and find that works best for them. Or not. Doesnt make someone better than someone else, just as the ridiculous argument of using an indicator or not, makes someone better.

Just my observation..works for me....your mileage may vary.

Discussion will change to check swing appeals while in B or C. You'll need a sundial to track opinions.

I face F1 standing heel to toe. I'm too fat, too old and too slow to stand around w/my hands on my knees. I stand tall and set like a R or F3 w/my lower arms angled downward.

Two-steps on a pickoff, short left first and then large right/turn into 1B. I'm calling safe unless I was sure of an out at 1B. I bite my lip at the acting job by F1/F3 and their teammates.

Short rocker left-step on a pitch home, ready to move into the working area if the ball is put in play. I either reset if its not in play or move toward 1B for the throw across the IF; stopping as soon as F raises his glove to squeeze the catch. I should be still by the time I hear the mitt pop while trying to focus on the BR's front foot.

Young PU has the 2nd call at 3B or 2nd call at 1B across IF cause I don't like them sittin' back there watching the game. I want them anticipating situations or reading players. Older gentlemen get more latitude.

BigUmp56 Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:14pm

Quote:

Also, I didn't say in any of my posts that anyone was working "incorrectly", I said, don't do it (peeking) and reasons why I don't.

Pay attention.

Then I'm wondering what this was supposed to mean.

Quote:

Tim.

TussAgee11 Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:15pm

Sorry to derail this a bit... but OJD said I was wrong for not moving with the runner...

I was told as I was become certified by our clinician to not move from C until you knew the pitch would not be put in play, and never told otherwise since.

Do I need to be moving with that runner? How much with him (keeping in mind I may still have a call at first to make in two man)?

I do know to get to the 45 foot line and turn with the throw.

Help?

SAump Tue Jun 24, 2008 09:52pm

Quote:

Sorry to derail this a bit... but OJD said I was wrong for not moving with the runner...

I was told as I was become certified by our clinician to not move from C until you knew the pitch would not be put in play, and never told otherwise since.

Do I need to be moving with that runner? How much with him (keeping in mind I may still have a call at first to make in two man)?

Help?

Doubt you'll get that far, but know what you mean about the angle. JMOHO, steps won't hurt. Running? No, way too dangerous.

Saw a varsity umpire set up between F6 and F5. PU w/ years of experience didn't tell him anything. Of course the guy probably meant well, but if he isn't standing in a proper C alignment, he might as well set up right behind the pitcher.

Seems to me, the catcher's throw takes you to F5's glove and F5's glove takes you to the tag. Bang 'em if he's out {just sell it}.

David B Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:58pm

Quote:

Help?

No you don't want to move with the runner. Stay put, watch the ball and let it take you to where you need to be.

Its all about angles, not how close you can get to the play.

Thanks
David

dash_riprock Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:07pm

Yes, it's all about angles, and that's why you move to the 45 when the runner breaks. If you wait for the ball to take you there, you won't have the angle.

justanotherblue Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:13pm

Quote:

Have great games.

Well lets see, last time I checked Jim Evans worked more than one base, and it would be my guess just a game or two more than you. Oh and lets not forget a couple World Series, an ALCS or two. Oh yearh and them there All Star games, yeah I paid the guy, damn proud of it also. He says your wrong, PBUC says your wrong, but thats OK.. IMHO

dash_riprock Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Well lets see, last time I checked Jim Evans worked more than one base, and it would be my guess just a game or two more than you. Oh and lets not forget a couple World Series, an ALCS or two. Oh yearh and them there All Star games, yeah I paid the guy, damn proud of it also. He says your wrong, PBUC says your wrong, but thats OK.. IMHO

I paid him too, and I'll gladly do it again. I remember Jim describing it as 1 year of experience 30 times.

BTW, NOT taking a peek at R2 will get you dinged on your NCAA eval.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44pm

The peekers are right. The non-peekers are wrong. I think everyone is being a peeker head about the whole thing.:)

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:50pm

The proper way to stand in B and C is facing the plate w/shoulders perpendicular to the plate. Just draw that line from the plate through right around the edge area of the mound, depending on the mound circumference and straddle it facing the plate. Then turn your head to watch the pitcher. It's just that easy. None of this "squared up with the foul line" nonsense. You should be ready to make an athletic movement in either direction when the ball is hit, and that's awfully hard to do if your body is misaligned.

Rich Wed Jun 25, 2008 05:51am

Quote:

Have great games.

I know some guys who've worked the HS state tournament in TN. Wouldn't hire them to work LL. Just sayin'.

SAump Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:19am

If I were a peeker

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
The peekers are right. The non-peekers are wrong. I think everyone is being a peeker head about the whole thing.:)

At what point in the pitchers peek do I take the time to pick a peek at the baserunner before I return my peekers to the plate?

RPatrino Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33am

Holy Cow!! I never realized there were so many different ways to stand in B and C!! And I must confess, I'm a peeker (in C only!!) Should we start 'peeker's anonymous' (sp?)?

LMan Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:27pm

Quote:

IF you're referring to my post, I would encourage you to read it and comprehend.

If I was referring to your post, I would have said so...but thanks for the conclusion jump no one asked for.

CO ump Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:36pm

Quote:

The proper way to stand in B and C is facing the plate w/shoulders perpendicular to the plate. Just draw that line from the plate through right around the edge area of the mound, depending on the mound circumference and straddle it facing the plate. Then turn your head to watch the pitcher. It's just that easy. None of this "squared up with the foul line" nonsense.

I didn't read anyone saying to square up to the foul line. I must have missed it, but totally agree that that would be a difficult alignment.
Edit: I did miss it in the OP. Glad I wasn't more sarcastic. At least the crow isn't quite as tough.

Quote:

You should be ready to make an athletic movement in either direction when the ball is hit, and that's awfully hard to do if your body is misaligned.

By misaligned do you mean some contorted 'twister' position?
If so, I agree, difficult to make an athletic move.
If you are saying that someone in the typical athletic stance that is, say at a 45 deg. angle to the plate can't make an athletic move when the ball is hit, then I disagree.

Relative to B position, R1 only.
Can you explain why square to the plate is ..."the proper way to stand"...
I've explained my advantage by taking a 45 deg. stance.
What disadvantages am I opening myself up to with this stance?

CO ump Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
If I was referring to your post, I would have said so...but thanks for the conclusion jump no one asked for.

My bad.
I stand corrected to both you and SDSteve.
The OP actually mentioned facing the dugouts. Bad comprehension on my part.

But I didn't totally jump to a conclusion. I did in CAPS say IF you were referring to my post.

and Your Welcome

Emperor Ump Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:59pm

I will peek on passed balls and wild pitches, where I feel I have a millisecond to look and not miss anything. And I do understand that at higher levels you will get dinged for not peeking, but from 9 y/o up you hear players, coaches, and everybody else yelling "he's going." Plus you can hear the steps if they are going behind you then he's going. It just seems unnecessary most of the time.

bob jenkins Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:02pm

Quote:

Relative to B position, R1 only.
Can you explain why square to the plate is ..."the proper way to stand"...

1) When the ball is hit, you might have to move right or left. It's harder to move to the right when you're already facing 1/2way left.

2) Perception.

HokieUmp Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:49pm

I wouldn't call it insecure, so much....

Quote:

JMHO

Humble or not, I'll disagree with your opinion.

I was at JEAPU just this very January, and we were certainly told to glance over the right shoulder for R2 going or not. In fact, many a drill wouldn't start until the BU looked over the shoulder after "set" was called.

Whether I was there looking for a job, or whether I was there to get better as an umpire, I was going to follow the teachings provided. And I'm still doing it, even if the redshirts aren't there to say "come talk to me" after the inning's over.

You can call that insecure if you'd like. I'd prefer to say I learned something for my time.

HokieUmp Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:57pm

It's not a stare-down....

Quote:

Okay, first off, I "peaked" years ago, more than likely. Either that, or I never did, and never will. Moving on.....

Tuss, just how long do you thnk the peek lasts? It's not like I - as one that peeks - am trying to track the runner's progress all the way to the next base. Whether I'm looking for R1 stealing 2B or R2 stealing 3B, I don't make the look until I'm assured F1 is delivering the ball to the plate, and I turn my head and turn back.

If the ball isn't delivered to the plate at the point I've determined it's time to glance, then it's bloody well a balk, so I haven't missed that. And I don't have anyone throwing 115mph heat, so I don't miss the check swing or the foul off the batter, or any of that other stuff. I'm not looking away long enough, nor is the ball there fast enough, for it to be a problem.

Maybe you've seen someone do it, and don't like it, but I don't have the issues you mention with missing other stuff.

CO ump Wed Jun 25, 2008 02:45pm

Quote:

1) When the ball is hit, you might have to move right or left. It's harder to move to the right when you're already facing 1/2way left.

I agree, you lose maybe a half step.
How often is that crucial, relative to the steady stable look you get on all 1b pick off moves?

Realistically speaking
There are many, many umps with bad knees that don't move far or fast but are very good umps. I could spot most of those guys a full 1 or 2 steps and still beat them to a spot.
So taking a stance that gives you an advantage on pickoffs and puts you a 1/2 step behind when you need to move to the right is only an issue if you are not athletically able to recover that 1/2 step.
Does that make sense?

Quote:

2) Perception.

Can't argue with that.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jun 25, 2008 03:10pm

Quote:

I agree, you lose maybe a half step.
How often is that crucial, relative to the steady stable look you get on all 1b pick off moves?

Realistically speaking
There are many, many umps with bad knees that don't move far or fast but are very good umps. I could spot most of those guys a full 1 or 2 steps and still beat them to a spot.
So taking a stance that gives you an advantage on pickoffs and puts you a 1/2 step behind when you need to move to the right is only an issue if you are not athletically able to recover that 1/2 step.

I was merely explaining the way it was/is taught. When you are in B, the proper first move on R1 stealing is to take a drop step with your right leg. Then you cross over step with the left leg as you take the ball over your left shoulder area and you end up in the cutout set for the play. How are you going to execute that crucial 1st step if you are at a 45 degree angle to the foul line. It's not a matter of "I can beat so-and-so to my position." It's a matter of I can get to the cutout in several steps less than you and probably much quicker. On pickoffs, I take a full step up and pivot on my left foot as I was taught by the pros. Perfect positioning to see the play. There is no need to cheat towards the 1st base line in my stance. It is not an advantage to be turned sideways to the plate. Being able to react quickly to any situation is far more of an advantage.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jun 25, 2008 03:18pm

Yes, all you guys that are just peaking now, congratulations. I peaked many years ago myself. However you should still take a "peek" at R2 just to see if he's going or not.

ozzy6900 Wed Jun 25, 2008 05:50pm

Quote:

Yes, all you guys that are just peaking now, congratulations. I peaked many years ago myself. However you should still take a "peek" at R2 just to see if he's going or not.

Steve, use the Force! :rolleyes: You need not peek. Let your feelings guide you and focus on the moment. But beware the Dark Side, it is fear that leads us there. Fear leads to hate; hate leads to anger; anger leads to suffering! :eek:

CO ump Wed Jun 25, 2008 07:16pm

Quote:

How are you going to execute that crucial 1st step if you are at a 45 degree angle to the foul line. It's not a matter of "I can beat so-and-so to my position." It's a matter of I can get to the cutout in several steps less than you and probably much quicker. On pickoffs, I take a full step up and pivot on my left foot as I was taught by the pros. Perfect positioning to see the play. There is no need to cheat towards the 1st base line in my stance. It is not an advantage to be turned sideways to the plate. Being able to react quickly to any situation is far more of an advantage.

I'm not arguing that the book is wrong. I'm just saying that I prefer not having to take that step on a pickoff if I don't have to. Some of those pickoffs are so quick that you're not set at the tag or just barely so.
The way I set up I just turn my head, no change in elevation, no over the shoulder, no body movement. I think it's hard to argue that that is less effecient than a body turn.

Quote:

It's not a matter of "I can beat so-and-so to my position." It's a matter of I can get to the cutout in several steps less than you and probably much quicker..

I doubt it.
At a 45 deg. angle my right foot(heel to heel) is displaced 18-20" from square up to home.
My initial drop step is 20" longer than yours and then we're the same.
It would be difficult to calculate the part of a second it takes to cover that 20"
I can't recall ever being out of position on a straight steal at second

I think Bob hit it on the nose. The real drawback to my position is Perception.

TussAgee11 Wed Jun 25, 2008 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieUmp
Okay, first off, I "peaked" years ago, more than likely. Either that, or I never did, and never will. Moving on.....

Tuss, just how long do you thnk the peek lasts? It's not like I - as one that peeks - am trying to track the runner's progress all the way to the next base. Whether I'm looking for R1 stealing 2B or R2 stealing 3B, I don't make the look until I'm assured F1 is delivering the ball to the plate, and I turn my head and turn back.

If the ball isn't delivered to the plate at the point I've determined it's time to glance, then it's bloody well a balk, so I haven't missed that. And I don't have anyone throwing 115mph heat, so I don't miss the check swing or the foul off the batter, or any of that other stuff. I'm not looking away long enough, nor is the ball there fast enough, for it to be a problem.

Maybe you've seen someone do it, and don't like it, but I don't have the issues you mention with missing other stuff.

Well, I played around with it today... 16 year old Mickey Mantle League game (AAU teams mainly).

I quickly realized that when in C the runner would get to directly behind by back on his secondary lead. Can't peek over the right shoulder from there... so I figured my C position must have been very off, and moved myself closer to 2nd. Does this sound right?

Then, there were some peeks where I could see the runner, and others where I never did (because he wasn't getting a big secondary, or because he was 2 steps behind the baseline) making my peek back obsolete. Does this ever happen?

I also realized that in a Deep B with 2 outs, it is very easy to peek at an R2. And in B, also easy to peak at R1.

But where I was getting a good peek at R2 was really from a deep C, not C at all. From where C is, I'd have to turn my head 180 degrees to see the kid...

What am I doing wrong, if anything?

(edited for the difference between peak and peek, for all the peekers of this peak performance post).

dash_riprock Wed Jun 25, 2008 08:03pm

Quote:

I'm not arguing that the book is wrong. I'm just saying that I prefer not having to take that step on a pickoff if I don't have to. Some of those pickoffs are so quick that you're not set at the tag or just barely so.
The way I set up I just turn my head, no change in elevation, no over the shoulder, no body movement. I think it's hard to argue that that is less effecient than a body turn.

Taking that step gets you the angle. Assuming you are about 40 feet from the base, getting about 7 feet with a step and a pivot gives you 10 degrees more. That can mean the difference between seeing a tag or a$$es and elbows.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jun 25, 2008 08:36pm

Quote:

Well, I played around with it today... 16 year old Mickey Mantle League game (AAU teams mainly).

I quickly realized that when in C the runner would get to directly behind by back on his secondary lead. Can't peek over the right shoulder from there... so I figured my C position must have been very off, and moved myself closer to 2nd. Does this sound right?

Then, there were some peeks where I could see the runner, and others where I never did (because he wasn't getting a big secondary, or because he was 2 steps behind the baseline) making my peek back obsolete. Does this ever happen?

I also realized that in a Deep B with 2 outs, it is very easy to peek at an R2. And in B, also easy to peak at R1.

But where I was getting a good peek at R2 was really from a deep C, not C at all. From where C is, I'd have to turn my head 180 degrees to see the kid...

What am I doing wrong, if anything?

(edited for the difference between peak and peek, for all the peekers of this peak performance post).

I just took a peek at your post. I don't advocate peeking in B at R1, nor do I believe in working B with 2 out and R2 (different discussion). The only reason for the peek in C with R2 is to get a good jump on the best angle for the play at third, and getting as close as possible to the foul line. You're only going to get a couple steps closer to the line, but at least you don't get flat-footed and end up lookiing straight up the runner's behind on the steal. It isn't really necessary to actually locate R2 when you glance over your right shoulder, and you never need to glance over your left. It only matters whether or not he's going. If you look and he's not going, then you let the ball take you where you need to look.

bob jenkins Thu Jun 26, 2008 07:48am

Quote:

Assuming your "C" position is correct, it's NOT "wrong" to not see the runner -- that means he's not going. If you do see the runner, and he's moving, then he's going (if he's not moving, he's far off the base and you might see a throw from F2 or a pick-off attempt on the next pitch).

LMan Thu Jun 26, 2008 09:39am

Interest in this topic has peaked.

UmpJM Thu Jun 26, 2008 09:43am

Lman,

I don't know. My curiosity is piqued.

JM

MrUmpire Thu Jun 26, 2008 09:48am

Quote:

The way I set up I just turn my head, no change in elevation, no over the shoulder, no body movement.

I've seen umpires set up so that they only have to turn their heads on pick-offs instead of taking a step to get the proper angle. They usually wore ball bags and cleaned off the rubber between innings.

CO ump Thu Jun 26, 2008 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire
I've seen umpires set up so that they only have to turn their heads on pick-offs instead of taking a step to get the proper angle. They usually wore ball bags and cleaned off the rubber between innings.

My base brush is to big for my pocket so how else am I to carry it?