The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   New Mask (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/45651-new-mask.html)

BlueTick48 Sun Jun 22, 2008 08:02pm

mizuno mask

I too am a mask junkie.I started out with a Davis F-W(very light),then Wilson New View (like it,but a lil heavy).Then a D1 ump turned me on to a Japan Mizuno Mask.....unreal view and lightest ever.If you can find one it'd be worth the time and money to invest in one

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:46pm

Could someone please point out the difference between a "mask whore" and a "mask junkie?" Is one a compulsion and the other an addiction?:confused: :eek: :p

greymule Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54pm

+POS used to advertise their SUL as "extremely strong." In fact, the SUL was the flimsiest mask I ever owned. My +POS resin mask still looks brand new after much use. But I use a helmet now and will certainly never go back.

BigUmp56 Mon Jun 23, 2008 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
+POS used to advertise their SUL as "extremely strong." In fact, the SUL was the flimsiest mask I ever owned.

Well, it made it to the "extremely light" podium anyway.............

Tim.

waltjp Mon Jun 23, 2008 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Could someone please point out the difference between a "mask whore" and a "mask junkie?" Is one a compulsion and the other an addiction?:confused: :eek: :p

A whore does it for the money. :D

etn_ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 07:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711
I bought a new Dyna Lite with the wrap around amara suede pads and cant get used to it. The mask feels really heavy and I dont really like the padding. Maybe I just need a switch of the pads.

I always shake my head when I read posts like this regarding ANY mask being too heavy.

All modern masks are light, some lighter than others, but light nontheless.

If your neck can't hold up any modern mask for 1 or 2 games per day, work on your neck.

greymule Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:01am

I always shake my head when I read posts like this regarding ANY mask being too heavy.

In the 1950s, the mask we used on the sandlot had belonged to one of the kids' dads. So it must have been from the 1930s or 1940s. The frame was made of heavy, thick wire, which extended in all directions well beyond the one large pad that fit all around the face. This mask must have weighed 6 pounds, maybe more. I think a sledge hammer would have been required to dent it.

The mitt was a thick round pad, flat with a ball-sized indention in the center for the "pocket." It was also quite heavy. You didn't open and close this mitt. You clapped your right hand over the ball when it hit.

Emperor Ump Tue Jun 24, 2008 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
The mitt was a thick round pad, flat with a ball-sized indention in the center for the "pocket." It was also quite heavy. You didn't open and close this mitt. You clapped your right hand over the ball when it hit.

Thank goodness for Johnny Bench and the hinged catchers mit.