The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Too Dark?

Firstly, I'm in Canada where the sunset is at around 9:40 PM on a field with no lights. Last night I had a game that was threatening rain the entire game. Needless to say it was dark from the first pitch. Bottom of the last inning around 8:30 when the batter hits a sharp grounder to F4 that bounces at the last second and catches F4 in the upper chest. Fielder goes down holding his chest, I immediately call time to get help for the fielder.

One of the parents screams out that it is too dark to play and I'm responsible for the injury. I ignore the comment and go to see how F4 is doing, the visiting manager then comes over and says that F4 got hit because he couldn't see the ball. (He certainly seemed like he could see the ball because he got down immediately after the hit and was waiting for it to arrive when it bounced up and hit him.)

I tell the coach that I'm not having any problem picking up the ball too which he complains that it was going to start raining any second and I should end the game. That was an easy comeback, "I'll call the game when the rain comes NOT when it looks like it might rain." I then tell the manager that I haven't seen any fielder give any physical indication that they are having trouble picking up the ball. (i.e. standing there looking for the ball after it has been hit)

It was getting dark enough that I wouldn't have started another inning but because it was the bottom of the last inning I just wanted to get this one over with.

My question, what criteria do you use to judge whether it is too dark to continue the game? Given this situation should I have asked for new baseballs to simply appease the visiting manager? Call the game? Or let the game continue as I did?(It was over in 5 minutes)
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Ti - I had exactly that situation last season, including F4 and ball to chest. It's amazing it only becomes "too dark" if a fielder misplays a ball, not five minutes earlier when they were at bat.
If I'm in the field I can pretty easily tell if it's too dark to play - I see the same ball comin' in the same light as the fielders. ('Course, with younger players it "gets too dark" a little earlier)
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Knowing when to stop a game for darkness or weather is one of the hardest decisions to make.

Things to look for include having the streetlights on and cars with lights on (harder now with so many having running lights).
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 09:07am
In Memoriam

Arrow

2 weeks ago, [Legion 2nd of 2, BU; end of 5, Visitors +1] I asked infielders if they are okay with seeing the ball. One was starting to have problems. I told PU it was getting dark, but he wanted to play on. Of course, Visitors were

25 minutes later I request new balls from Home team. Couldn't find any.
With no apparent mis-plays, tied game was called after 6 innings.

After the game, PU said he shoulda called it, but he thought it would end sooner.

Every evening, ...after a certain time, it gets dark fast.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Firstly, I'm in Canada where the sunset is at around 9:40 PM on a field with no lights. Last night I had a game that was threatening rain the entire game. Needless to say it was dark from the first pitch. Bottom of the last inning around 8:30 when the batter hits a sharp grounder to F4 that bounces at the last second and catches F4 in the upper chest. Fielder goes down holding his chest, I immediately call time to get help for the fielder.

One of the parents screams out that it is too dark to play and I'm responsible for the injury. I ignore the comment and go to see how F4 is doing, the visiting manager then comes over and says that F4 got hit because he couldn't see the ball. (He certainly seemed like he could see the ball because he got down immediately after the hit and was waiting for it to arrive when it bounced up and hit him.)

I tell the coach that I'm not having any problem picking up the ball too which he complains that it was going to start raining any second and I should end the game. That was an easy comeback, "I'll call the game when the rain comes NOT when it looks like it might rain." I then tell the manager that I haven't seen any fielder give any physical indication that they are having trouble picking up the ball. (i.e. standing there looking for the ball after it has been hit)

It was getting dark enough that I wouldn't have started another inning but because it was the bottom of the last inning I just wanted to get this one over with.

My question, what criteria do you use to judge whether it is too dark to continue the game? Given this situation should I have asked for new baseballs to simply appease the visiting manager? Call the game? Or let the game continue as I did?(It was over in 5 minutes)
As a plate umpire, I rely on the field umpire for assistance in this decision. As the plate, I am watching the ball come towards me and, in most instances, this it easier for me to pick up. The base umpire has the same advantage as the infielders. Therefore, I relay on him to tell me when he believes it is too dark. If I'm in the field, I make sure you have a conference with my PU before it gets too dark and let him know I'll signal to him if it's gets too dark (usually, I place my hand (fingers spread) over my eyes during a break in the action followed by a thumbs down). It happens on occasion but not too often around here since most all fields have lights.

The only other suggestion is to have all the fielders/coaches/fans carry their cell phones and open them to light up the field. But I don't know if that would work very well.

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
As a plate umpire, I rely on the field umpire for assistance in this decision. As the plate, I am watching the ball come towards me and, in most instances, this it easier for me to pick up. The base umpire has the same advantage as the infielders. Therefore, I relay on him to tell me when he believes it is too dark. If I'm in the field, I make sure you have a conference with my PU before it gets too dark and let him know I'll signal to him if it's gets too dark (usually, I place my hand (fingers spread) over my eyes during a break in the action followed by a thumbs down). It happens on occasion but not too often around here since most all fields have lights.

The only other suggestion is to have all the fielders/coaches/fans carry their cell phones and open them to light up the field. But I don't know if that would work very well.

-Josh
Unfortunately, I was doing this game solo.....

As I indicated, I was having no problem picking up the ball and it didn't appear that the fielders were either. Of course, once the parent planted the idea in their head you could hear them say they couldn't see the ball. But there was no physical indication whenever they needed to make a play on the ball.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I was doing this game solo.....

As I indicated, I was having no problem picking up the ball and it didn't appear that the fielders were either. Of course, once the parent planted the idea in their head you could hear them say they couldn't see the ball. But there was no physical indication whenever they needed to make a play on the ball.
Hmmmm! So on your future games, you should kill the game while it is still sunny so as not to "cause another injury".

And they will $itch about that too!
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

exactly
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

As Bob says this is a difficult decision because no matter what you decide "you will hear it" HOWEVER,

First and Foremost WE as umpires do not schedule games. If a field has no lights then the start time should be such that for the most part darkness will not be an issue.

Example: In my "neck of the woods" it gets dark this time of year around 8:20 - 8:40 depending upon the type of day.

Therefore, the game time should start at 5:15 - 5:30 PM

However, we have many a game that start at 6 PM. As mentioned that's not our problem that is the leagues problem.

Criteria used: If it gets dark at say 8:30. See where you are at 8 PM

What does this mean?

You will most likely get in one Complete inning so finish that innig and call it quits. If you start an inning at 8PM chances are that it will be around the 8:10- 8:20 mark when complete so it's a good time to stop.

If it's a REAL good game chances are darkness will not be an issue. If a game cannot be completed or near completion after 2/2.15 hours then use your best judgement before starting another NEW inning. If the game is longer then 2.15 hours it is not a very good game.

If the teams complain it's simple - Start the game earlier.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jun 12, 2008, 02:29pm
Veteran College Umpire

I agree with Bob Jenkins here. Deciding when to end a game because of darkness is tough.
Keep in mind who is ahead. Yep, if the visitors are ahead, you know you'll have to play the bottom half of the inning (or "revert"). Reverting never makes anyone happy, especially if the visitors have taken the lead in the top half of the inning when you decide to end the game. If the home team is ahead, you MIGHT want to play the top half of the next inning BUT be aware if the visitors tie or take the lead then the home team will want to bat OR the score may revert. Reverting never makes anyone happy (see above).

Best advice? I have learned to end it sooner rather than later. I never think, "Maybe we can squeeze in three more outs". If we can't play the necessary inning(s) comfortably, then we can't start 'em.

JJ
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

What I hate about darkness is that waiting an extra 30 seconds won't be a noticeable difference. Another 30 seconds won't mean anything, nor will another 30 seconds and another, but it keeps adding up and it is hard to come up with a good moment to call the game. I had a situation like this a couple weeks ago. It was on the verge of starting to get dark, but we didn't think twice about starting the last inning. Of course the last inning took over half an hour to complete, resulted in two ejections, two idiot coaches refusing to go to the parking lot, a threat of a forfeit, a fan yelling at my partner and myself, and me fuming over what a joke these people were.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

The decision to call the game requires my partner and I to be aware of the surroundings (available light), honest (if you can't see the ball, tell your partner) and firm/professional in your decision to stop the game. Pete's post is pretty much the way to go. For most amateur games, you need about a 3 hour buffer before dark. Unlike a HS or NCAA game that usually moves along, amateur games take their sweet time. Even when you gently remind them that the sun won't wait, they still just mozy along.

So when it comes time to shut it down, make the decision and that's it! I get together with my partner and make the decision, call over the two managers, explain the situation and then exit. But again, as in Pete's post, if you know that your area gets dark quickly, you have to make the adjustment. Don't start that inning! Yes, you get $hitted on but in the long run, you won't have a player take one in the teeth, either.

"Hey Bob, Bill we think that it's about time to shut the game down for safety's sake."
"What, Bill? You have the key for the lights? Well fire 'em up and play on!"
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 07:11am
Administrator

Since we are fast approaching the summer solstice (Thursday, June 20, 2008, at 11:53pmUTC; UTC or Coordinated Universal Time is the formal designation for GMT or Greenwich Mean Time) I make it a habit to go to check my Weather Desktop for when sunset occurs. Since almost every state in the USA requires drivers to turn-on their automobile headlights thirty (30) minutes before sunset, I use that as my basic guide as to whether or not a game should continue. If it is overcast, thirty minutes before sunset may be too late to end a game, it is a starting point for me.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

FYI there is no longer a "revert" rule in baseball. (At least in OBR)
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump29
FYI there is no longer a "revert" rule in baseball. (At least in OBR)
Whaa? I thought it was pre-vert!