The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Hsm

Maybe I'm just not searching for the right keywords but I can't find a recent thread on hockey style masks

I have used the traditional mask style since I began umpiring 7 years ago. I'm curious as to how many of you use a HSM. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using one? What brands/styles would everyone recommend or pass on?

TIA!

-Josh

Edit: In addition, are there any differences between the catcher and umpire HSM that you all know of?

Last edited by jdmara; Sun Jun 08, 2008 at 09:02pm.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
Maybe I'm just not searching for the right keywords but I can't find a recent thread on hockey style masks

I have used the traditional mask style since I began umpiring 7 years ago. I'm curious as to how many of you use a HSM. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using one? What brands/styles would everyone recommend or pass on?

TIA!

-Josh

Edit: In addition, are there any differences between the catcher and umpire HSM that you all know of?
Your advantages/disadvantages are going to vary based on priorities, so I'm not going to address them. I know why I switched, and others have the same or similar reasoning, but that is dependent on the individual.

I use the All-Star MVP2200SL. The MVP series is cheapest at Western Athletic Supply. The major issue I've had with the more recent MVP offerings is that the last two or three have occasionally unsnapped the top snap as I've pulled the mask off, but in that time they've revamped the padding so that the chin pad is more comfortable.

As for the All-Star umpire's version, it has a single bar on the bottom of the eye opening and I believe it is made out of a lighter material. Either way, it isn't worth the extra $70. IMO, the normal catcher's version provides a good enough job.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

TIA!

-Josh

I have and use both the HSM (Diamond) and regular mask (Wilson New View). I use the regular mask more often.

Advantages of the HSM that I've seen are:

1. A better view up and to the sides (I don't know if that helps you call pitches),

2. The weight is more evenly distributed on your head,

3. It offers more protection on the side and top of your head (if you use proper plate mechanics this should not come into play)

Advantages of a regular mask that I've seen are:
light weight,

1. easier to hold onto while dealing with line-ups,

2. spins off when hit with foul ball,

3. There is no stigma that goes with wearing a regular mask, and easier to get a hat underneath a regular mask.

Disadvantage of a HSM that I've seen are:

1. A little cumbersome when dealing with line-up cards,

2. Rattles your cage when hit with a foul ball,

3. It is hard to get a hat underneath.

4. There is some stigma that goes with wearing a HSM (it is becoming more accepted in my area.

Disadvantages of a regular mask that I've seen are:

1. The majority of the weight of the mask in on the front of your head
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
May I add that one advantage to the HSM is safety when working a field with an overhanging backstop.

Yes, unlikely one will come down and get you on the button of your cap, but something worth throwing in when discussing HSM.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22
3. It offers more protection on the side and top of your head (if you use proper plate mechanics this should not come into play)
Just a reminder: no one ever uses proper plate mechanics 100% of the time. Everyone flinches, sets up incorrectly, or something along those lines on occasion. Keep this in mind when making your selection--what are the odds that you will make a mistake at the same time the ball is traveling towards your head?
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I got a concussion when involved in a car wreck a few years ago. Unfortunately I've also had concussions playing hockey, football, and when my dad dropped a ladder on my head (accidental) previous to the car wreck. I've had enough concussions that my doc was concerned I would start having problems with post-concussive syndrome. The result was I went ot the HSM on doctors orders.

I tried on all of the major models and setted on the Easton Stealth. It seemed to fit my head the best. Since then I discovered that there are several brands of helmets that are just like the Stealth (same manufacturer) but rebadged. I purchased a new Battlegear by TAG for about fifty bucks less than my Stealth.

It took me a bit of time to get used to the HSM but I can say now that I prefer it to a conventional mask. The view is quite a bit better. The HSM deflects most shots better than the conventional mask. The only shot that feels abou the same are blows directly to the chin. Those ring my ears in both types of masks.

To soak up sweat and keep the sun from burning me through the vent holes (I'm bald) I wear an all black beanie hat made out of UnderArmour type of stuff. The beanie thing took some getting used to in the looks department but it's a necessary piece equipment that allows me to keep working ball games. I also find the beanie to be a great when it comes to keeping my head cool. I tried to wear a hat under but found it to be very uncomfortable and hot. My reasoning is the HSM is not designed to be worn with a hat so it's ridiculous to do so. Amazingly enough those in my association are supportive about my choice to wear an HSM and do not mind the little beanie cap either. In fact several guys who have adopted the HSM also wear the UnderArmour beanie thingy.

My feeling is that you should wear what you're comfortable with. Any new piece of gear requires a break in period where you should fiddle with fit and adjustments. If you try the HSM make sure you wear it in a few games to truly make sure it's right for you.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday, summer college wood bat league. I'm wearing regular mask. Pitch made, way inside, tips off of catcher glove, to my left shoulder pad directly to side of left jaw.

I know, it's kind of a strange play, but if I would have been wearing the HSM it wouldn't have tagged me.

I won't wear my HSM in the summer, too hot. Just something else to consider.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have and use both the HSM (Diamond) and regular mask (Wilson New View). I use the regular mask more often.

Advantages of the HSM that I've seen are:

1. A better view up and to the sides (I don't know if that helps you call pitches),
How could having a better view hurt when calling pitches? Is it easier to find the ball with my white cane?

I have never really considered getting one because I have not seen anyone around here use a HSM until this weekend. The umpire I worked with loved it and recommended I at least try one out.

It seems like a good investment. The only major downside I've really heard about are the pads. He suggested buying an extra set or two.

-Josh
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump
Yesterday, summer college wood bat league. I'm wearing regular mask. Pitch made, way inside, tips off of catcher glove, to my left shoulder pad directly to side of left jaw.

I know, it's kind of a strange play, but if I would have been wearing the HSM it wouldn't have tagged me.

I won't wear my HSM in the summer, too hot. Just something else to consider.
In the late 90's the same thing happend to me and I lost three teeth. My doctor recommend I go the the HSM and I did and have never gone back.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I switched this year and love it. It took a few games to get used to it. I started out by leaving it on at all times but now I remove it in every situation that I did with a traditional mask except when moving up the line towards first on an infeild grounder.

BTW I use a wilson.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How could having a better view hurt when calling pitches? Is it easier to find the ball with my white cane?

-Josh

the pitch is usually coming toward you from the front. I guess it could help you track the rising fastball better though
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the pitch is usually coming toward you from the front. I guess it could help you track the rising fastball better though
My dog always barks when the pitcher throws a rising fastball. I have no problems calling those!

-Josh