The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Blinking/Flinching

I had a rookie ask me the other night about "tricks" to stop blinking and flinching when the batter swings. I really didn't have an answer for him. What are the "tricks" you all have heard of/used to stop blinking/flinching?

I told him flinching is caused by not trusting your catcher and equipment. There is a reason you buy the best equipment, it's so you're protected. The blinking issue...I'm not quite sure now to fix it for him. Thanks for your thoughts

-Josh
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Practice. Put on the gear and have someone throw tennis balls at you. Start with gentle tosses, followed by weak throws followed by harder throws.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Practice. Put on the gear and have someone throw tennis balls at you. Start with gentle tosses, followed by weak throws followed by harder throws.
This really works well, and I would add that as the ball leaves F1's hand really make a point to concentrate on the ball all the way to the mitt.

That will help keep the eyes open.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

One of my good friends since high school is the coach of one of the local high schools. I thought about asking him if he would mind if during batting practice we set up a screen behind the batter and had the rookie stand behind the screen in his stance. Even though the screen is in from of him, I believe that the fact the ball is coming towards him would be of some help.

-Josh
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes i have that problem as well, what I do is I just breathe normally and dont look at the pitcher till he is set, when he is about to pitch, I breathe in and hold it till the ball reaches the mitt...seems to work, I also find myself not moving as much when I am working the scissor, dont know why.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
A method

I have used is to blink several times during the pitch (in the time you're watching for the balk), then hold the eyes open maybe a little wider than usual, and tell yourself, "DO NOT BLINK".

It takes some time but it seems to work for me.

Last edited by Rcichon; Wed Jun 04, 2008 at 11:49am.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:50am

Whenever I found myself getting a little flinchy, I would tell myself that I'm just a spectator with the best seat in the house, and to just relax and watch the pitch like I would if I were behind the fence. Works everytime.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
I had a rookie ask me the other night about "tricks" to stop blinking and flinching when the batter swings. I really didn't have an answer for him. What are the "tricks" you all have heard of/used to stop blinking/flinching?

I told him flinching is caused by not trusting your catcher and equipment. There is a reason you buy the best equipment, it's so you're protected. The blinking issue...I'm not quite sure now to fix it for him. Thanks for your thoughts

-Josh
A couple of things.

1. If your friend has kids, have your friend put on the catcher's gear and depending upon how many kids he has have one of them pitch and the other a batter.

You can start out as Bob suggests using tennis balls and then work your way to the "real thing"

2. Stand behind a fence and have someone throw tennis balls at him.

3. Invest in "top of the line" equipment so that you know You can take a shot and it will not hurt.

Your freind should start out slow meaning until his flinching problems go away stick to umpiring at the Modfied Level (mainly 7th/8th graders) or some low level JV games.

Until his flinching problems are solved he most likely will not work High level JV or varsity baseball.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

A member of my site (blue bomber) wrote a great post on the subject of flinching its post #4 of this thread.

I don't consider myself having a flinching problem but using this technique helps in those non-shaving games when you know you are going to get hit.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores
Sometimes i have that problem as well, what I do is I just breathe normally and dont look at the pitcher till he is set, when he is about to pitch, I breathe in and hold it till the ball reaches the mitt...seems to work, I also find myself not moving as much when I am working the scissor, dont know why.
It is more relaxing to breathe out and hold as the pitcher begins his delivery.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
It is more relaxing to breathe out and hold as the pitcher begins his delivery.
I think your right.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlores
If you don't look at the pitcher until he is set, how do you know when to look???

Always keep your eye on the ball.....ALWAYS.

You'll be in deep doodoo if something happens while you're "not looking". What are you going to tell the coach, "Sorry coach, I don't watch the ball until the pitcher is set."
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
I have used is to blink several times during the pitch (in the time you're watching for the balk), then hold the eyes open maybe a little wider than usual, and tell yourself, "DO NOT BLINK".

It takes some time but it seems to work for me.
I work fastpitch, not hardball, but this is what works for me.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
A couple of things.

1. If your friend has kids, have your friend put on the catcher's gear and depending upon how many kids he has have one of them pitch and the other a batter.

You can start out as Bob suggests using tennis balls and then work your way to the "real thing"

2. Stand behind a fence and have someone throw tennis balls at him.

3. Invest in "top of the line" equipment so that you know You can take a shot and it will not hurt.

Your freind should start out slow meaning until his flinching problems go away stick to umpiring at the Modfied Level (mainly 7th/8th graders) or some low level JV games.

Until his flinching problems are solved he most likely will not work High level JV or varsity baseball.

Pete Booth
Unfortunately he is still a youngster. I'll gladly throw some tennis balls at him though I called up the coach I know well and I think we're going to set him up to be behind the kids taking batting practice. Hopefully that'll help him out. I guess I've never consciously thought about it.

-Josh
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Occasionally I catch myself blinking, so what I have always done, though sounding silly, works for me because its like a mantra....I just think to myself "my mask is my friend" and I then forget I was blinking because I stopped. Just thinking that helps me focus. Since it works for me, it becomes a subconscious memory trick knowing that it will work again if needed...