The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I'm not sure exactly what preceeded this obviously intentional act, but from reading the rest of the posts I could say with certainty that there were probably incidents of unsportsmanlike conduct that went unaddressed during the game. I have learned from hard experience that if a crew ignores conduct that is inappropriate during the game that there will be severe consequences eventually.

This umpire is just lucky that the F1 threw an off-speed pitch. Lesson learned for all of us, don't ever let things get that far out of hand.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If you change the strike zone, you're just justifying (in their minds) the action. The FYC has no (or at least almost no) place in amateur ball. It can be used at some levels (pro ball, primarily) where everyone knows what is going on and where everyone agress it's the appropriate punishment for the crime.

If it was intentional, eject the perps.
What is FYC? I know it's probably obvious but I'm brain dead today. {comment as you wish on the "today" qualifier}

-Josh
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I think it means "F" You Call.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

The next time I get one off the shoulder I'm going to toss the batter 'cause I think he fouled it off me intentionally!

OK, enough silliness. The thing that struck me was the BU's expression and steps toward home. It looked like HE was convinced it was intentional.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
3rd base coach thought so too.

Good point about addressing unsportsmanlike actions early in the game. If you don't take care of business early, things can get out of control.

None of us were there to see what happened early, but my guess would be something that at the very minimum should have been addressed with some strong words to HC.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I just watched the vid.

Forget HTBT. The Ace Holleran Eject-o-Matic machine would have gone from 0-60 faster than a Murcielago.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

As far as "breaking ball" the catcher is set-up for a FASTBALL. You don't set up high like that for a breaking ball. So, if he's set up for a fastball that's what he called for.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 12:12pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I have learned from hard experience that if a crew ignores conduct that is inappropriate during the game that there will be severe consequences eventually.
Agree completely. Also from hard experience, the same concept is also true in basketball and football.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout
This play took place during the GHSA championship game over the weekend. Stephens County is pitching to Cartersville, that went on to win the game and the title 13-1.
http://www.workhorsevideoproductions...he%20pitch.mpg

Crew didn't respond with any ejections, as it couldn't ascertain that the action was intentional, but GHSA is waiting for the school's investigation to be complete before it decides if further action is needed.
http://www.ajc.com/highschool/conten...ge_tab_newstab

Question is, was the action intentional? If so, what should be the penalty?
Absolutely intentional. Dump the pitcher, catcher, and head coach at the minimum.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

The clapping going on by the parents in the "red" stands lets you know where the kids got the idea in the first place.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
The thing that struck me was the BU's expression and steps toward home. It looked like HE was convinced it was intentional.
I was going to comment on this earlier. Also check the actions of the third base coach. It appears that he said something to U3 just before time was signaled. I would love to know the rationale for not tossing anyone.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I can't get the video to open, but I will give my opinion of what to do if a pitch and catcher conspire to hit the PU with a pitch.

1) The PU will know that he was intentionally hit. How? The team will have been complaining about his balls and strike calling. The complaining will start early in the game; it will be by the team's batters, pitcher, catcher, and coaches.

2) After the PU has told everybody concerned to knock off the nonsense, the team will find small but detectable ways to show their displeasure at the PU's strike zone.

3) Finally, the catcher will set up way outside the pitch will come straight down the middle; the catcher will make no effort to catcht the pitch; and the PU will be hit by the pitch square in the middle of the chest.

4) When that happens, the pitcher, catcher, and head coach are gone.

MTD, Sr.
Won't happen to me because if the catcher moves way outside, I move with him.

I believe Carl used to say that if F2 sets up out of the strike zone then he doesn't want the pitch to be a strike, so I give him what he wants.

But you are right, the PU will know what's going on.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Walt - to me it looked like PU was willing to shake it off and give them the benefit of the doubt. Of course, he couldn't see what F2 did.
I wonder how he feels NOW if he sees the slo-mo replay
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:03pm
M.A.S.H.

I've got F1, F2, and the head coach launched. More than likely an assistant coach will speak up and he'll be launched too.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen to me one time. I rang the pitcher up on strike three to end an inning and the second pitch the next inning the catcher dropped his glove just as he was about to catch the pitch. It hit me directly in the mask. I immediately ejected the catcher and pitcher. The team was very undisiplined and the coach had no control.