The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I sent this link to an umpire friend of mine who had a short pitching career in the Majors. My comment to him was that certainly he didn't do this during his career...but may have thought about it a time or two. He said that they did accomplish it a few times in the minors, but in the minors they had all year and 120 games to work the timing out so it didn't appear obviously intentional. There would be an ejection or two taking place if it happened while he was working behind the plate though.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Man, that wasn't subtle at all. Heads on pikes!

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

No hesitation for me!

"Catch, you're gone! Pitch, you're gone!"

Manager says anything other than checking on my condition, he's gone, too!

*********************Edited 20:07 EDT****************

Wait a minute!!!!! Look at that video again, people! That ball hit the batter's helmet first, then hit the PU! It was not an intentional throw to the umpire! I withdraw my accusation above.

Last edited by ozzy6900; Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 07:09pm.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
That ball didn't hit the batter's helmet - check out the batter's initial reaction.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

After reading the article,it states the pitcher and his brother(shortstop)were jawing at the umpire about balls and strikes.Assuming they are using NFHS rules,why were those 2 kids still around in the fourth inning?
No question watching the catchers theatrics,definitely was an intentional act.There is no way a catcher at that level would go to the ground to block a pitch over his head.No place for that in any level,let alone high school ball.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
That ball didn't hit the batter's helmet - check out the batter's initial reaction.
Tuss,

WTF are you talkin' about?

JM

edited to add...

Tuss, My apologies.

Ozzy,

WTF you talkin' about?

JM

P.S. Just another reason why video replay should NOT be used to officiate baseball games.

Last edited by UmpJM; Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 08:12pm.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His reaction seems to be alerting the runner not to advance.You would think that if it hit him,he would know the ball is dead.It is really hard to tell,but I think the catchers actions tell it all(hitting the dirt that early makes no sense.)
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
I have heard many a story about this but have never had it happen to me (yet :0) It sure appears obvious intent but I was not there. I don't know if I would dump any body based on what I see in the vid but I do know one thing, the strike zone just got smaller (or larger) for the team in question!!! No place for that at any level.
You're kidding, right?
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Twice in American Legion Baseball I had to deal with this.

Once the pitcher began hitting everything but the strike zone and Daddy, who just happen to be the Coach started in on me along with his catcher and pitcher. This carried on for a short time and when they lost the lead, which was my fault of course, (4 walks in an inning), Daddy went out to talk to his boy and on the way had a few words to add.

Very next pitch was inside, right to the chest as the catcher moved his glove.

BYE BYE Daddy , son and catcher. All three suspended 3 games.

Second time 2 years later, catcher is giving lip the whole game about being called out on strikes. Finally I tell him I heard enough and that it was over.
Next pitch catcher drops glove and misses pitch, again to the chest. Stands up and immeadiately states the sun got in his eyes. Only thing he is wearing, he is wearing a sun shield on the top part of his mask.

I tell the catcher, "you won't have to worry about the sun anymore" and advise the coach to replace him. Next day the catcher is thrown out of the league because this was the second time it happen in the season.

True stories, my best advise, make sure you are squared up with the pitcher at all time so as to maximize protection provided and DO NOT be afraid to pull the trigger and eject someone.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right. If it hit his helmet, his first and only reaction would be to get 1st base.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
No hesitation for me!
Wait a minute!!!!! Look at that video again, people! That ball hit the batter's helmet first, then hit the PU! It was not an intentional throw to the umpire! I withdraw my accusation above.
The first time I saw the video I thought it hit the batter as well. But I think it's just the camera angle. I don't think a batter would take one off the head and react that way.

I, however, do think he was attempting to throw a curve ball based on the hand position after his hand crosses his body. Then again, me might be purposely throwing a hanging curve

It's an odd situation

-Josh
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
The first time I saw the video I thought it hit the batter as well. But I think it's just the camera angle. I don't think a batter would take one off the head and react that way.

I, however, do think he was attempting to throw a curve ball based on the hand position after his hand crosses his body. Then again, me might be purposely throwing a hanging curve

It's an odd situation

-Josh
There is no doubt that F1 is throwing a curve.

I put this video into stop motion here at work and I have to say, it looks close but I do not see any movement of the helmet. I agree that the batter's initial actions dictate that he was not hit.

UmpJM, you are correct about video replay. It causes second guessing and in this case probably the wrong decision. I guess I was right in my first, gut reaction - dump 'em!
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Some additional information

I didn't include this info initially because I wanted everyone to judge based on what they saw, but reportedly there had been a lot of arguing about balls and strikes, with 9 SO's to that point, many on called third strikes.

The school is conducting its own investigation (so far, the coaches say it wasn't planned), but rest assured when that investigation is done the Georgia High School Association will step in and have something to say.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
I have heard many a story about this but have never had it happen to me (yet :0) It sure appears obvious intent but I was not there. I don't know if I would dump any body based on what I see in the vid but I do know one thing, the strike zone just got smaller (or larger) for the team in question!!! No place for that at any level.
If you change the strike zone, you're just justifying (in their minds) the action. The FYC has no (or at least almost no) place in amateur ball. It can be used at some levels (pro ball, primarily) where everyone knows what is going on and where everyone agress it's the appropriate punishment for the crime.

If it was intentional, eject the perps.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout
I didn't include this info initially because I wanted everyone to judge based on what they saw, but reportedly there had been a lot of arguing about balls and strikes, with 9 SO's to that point, many on called third strikes.

The school is conducting its own investigation (so far, the coaches say it wasn't planned), but rest assured when that investigation is done the Georgia High School Association will step in and have something to say.
The article said that the school apologized to the Georgia HS association. How about an apology to the umpires, who would've never had this happen had they stepped up and ejected F1 when he threw his helmet after getting rung up the previous inning.